Spoilboard Surfacing - 2D Adaptive Clearing - Tool Bottoming Out

More
23 Nov 2023 16:13 #286339 by Lethal69GTO
Air test identified need to increase the Y max machine limit by a hair so that the Y600 path would run.
Was just running the program and it was working like a charm, but about half-way though it just quit running.  Strange.  No VFD fault codes, spindle was cool to the touch.  I didn't catch at depth of cut it was running at time of program quitting.  No error indicators in Axis user interface.  I do think I need to reduce the feed rate during the cut.  Seemed it was beginning to chatter if I am assuming correctly that is in the indicator based on the pitch of noise being heard.

Anyone with suggestions for items to check for why the program would just abruptly stop?  Spindle turned off, it was if the 'E'-stop button was pressed, quite odd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2023 17:14 #286343 by spumco
No immediate idea why it quit, but a helpful tool to debug is to run LCNC from the terminal.  Leave the terminal open in the background and if/when it stops you can check the terminal output.

The output may be cryptic when/if it vomits, but you can copy/paste the output - at least the last few lines before it stops - and paste it here.

More
23 Nov 2023 17:33 #286344 by tommylight
A few years back i had one such case where the machine would go into e-stop while working very rarely, this was a plasma CNC with parallel port control, turned out keyboard being near the main torch cable triggered it.
Removing keyboard and mouse cables as far from spindle and mains cables as a starting point, maybe...

More
24 Nov 2023 13:54 #286402 by Lethal69GTO

A few years back i had one such case where the machine would go into e-stop while working very rarely, this was a plasma CNC with parallel port control, turned out keyboard being near the main torch cable triggered it.
Removing keyboard and mouse cables as far from spindle and mains cables as a starting point, maybe...

Could be any number of things burping or causing interference I s'pose; the OptiPlex control computer, Mesa 7i76E, VFD,I dunno.  Appreciate your input.  The control computer and its accompanying keyboard are in the neighborhood of 3 feet, possibly a smidge more from enclosure, VFD and it's main cable.

Funny thing is, I created a second program that surfaced the short distance Y depth and it too quit about 1/3rd way into it.  Ran it a second time and it ran in its entirety.  Would seem there is an issue.  Think I will take spumco's suggestion and hopefully be provided some insight as to what is happening.

More
24 Nov 2023 14:11 #286403 by Lethal69GTO

No immediate idea why it quit, but a helpful tool to debug is to run LCNC from the terminal.  Leave the terminal open in the background and if/when it stops you can check the terminal output.

The output may be cryptic when/if it vomits, but you can copy/paste the output - at least the last few lines before it stops - and paste it here.

I will certainly do as recommended.  Since the anomaly occurred twice, two different programs, it could be that it is easily repeatable.  Fun fun fun.  Appreciate the guidance.

- Darryl

More
24 Nov 2023 14:13 #286404 by tommylight
That sounds like outer source of interference so that is much harder to find, but in general try to follow what other equipment in the shop/house/neighborhood turns on to trigger this.
Yes, neighborhood can cause such issues, same power grid.
Compressors and big fridges are the main suspects, the any bigger power machine.

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds