Can't save file to samba share

More
02 Jul 2020 21:37 #173458 by tommylight
Took a while to stop laughing and be4 able to reply .... to a degree .. :)
Well i had the opposite experience the first time over, had the machine working with LinuxCNC in about 5 minutes, while it me the whole day to figure out why the demo version of Mach can not work with a parallel port on winXp, turned out winxp problem as it had no direct access to ports before the service pack 1 or 2, then there is the issue of being able to set it at 45 KHz and it wont care that the pulses can not get to the port due to high latency, so you end up with parts that look nothing to what is on scr....... that very small f.... window !
Here you go, plenty of working parallel port stuff on path pilot:
www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=GlP-X...ZGCP4Q4dUDCAY&uact=5
.... i hope. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2020 23:03 #173468 by phillc54

More
03 Jul 2020 01:18 #173475 by gerritv
Grbl has its uses, but also limits of course. I wrote GrblPanel to make use of it for a while on a cobbled together machine.
I will be using PP 2, with a 7i92. The BOB is PMDX-132 so this weekend making the wire jumble to satisfy both ends of the connectors. I didn't want to make my own .bit files and also want to keep changes to a minimum.
The machine I am building is fixed gantry, of similar envelope to the PCNC440, waiting an eternity for some bearing hangers......

Re: probe-basic,
and a whole bunch of others to show it in use. Also
if you understand German (or use the subtitle/auto-translate feature)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bats

More
03 Jul 2020 07:49 #173493 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Can't save file to samba share
Bats, I think you have to run a regular column. Your posts make me laugh.

I have to say I am really over Windows. Lugged an old laptop with WIn7 on it to work today so I could configure my Lam stepper drivers and wasted a good 2 hours chasing driver installations and my tail... I had forgotten what it was like...,. I've mostly been using a Chromebook for the last few years. Or Linux Mint. The good thing about Linux Mint is it has let me dig deep into the Linuxcnc source. Hopefully I will work out enough to get some cool stuff into master branch...

More
03 Jul 2020 13:10 #173518 by tommylight

Lugged an old laptop with WIn7 on it to work today so I could configure my Lam stepper drivers and wasted a good 2 hours chasing driver installations and my tail...

Read your other post about this and was wondering why, now i know, those drives were made for XP and never really changed, so on Xp it takes about 3 minutes to setup.
@GerriTV
I did see those videos, the second one is good as he was impressed with it and ditched the mach3/4 and some other software he was using, he does sell cnc stuff and machines, but rarely mentions that on his videos, just his web site.

More
03 Jul 2020 19:34 #173540 by Bats
Replied by Bats on topic Can't save file to samba share
I turn my back on you guys for one night, and what happens? Suddenly I need to write... [dramatic CHORD!] An anthology reply!

Here you go, plenty of working parallel port stuff on path pilot:
www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=GlP-X...ZGCP4Q4dUDCAY&uact=5
.... i hope. :)

I'd seen a lot of (well, some of) those threads before - although it did turn up a couple I'd since lost track of - including the link to buy PathPilot. Skimming through them did raise some new questions, though - it sounds like the 2.x versions dropped support for (or just ceased to include? I'm a little a lot fuzzy on the details) a bunch of the realtimey stuff that I'd thought was more or less essential for parport/software stepgen... or does that only apply when installing PP directly, rather than switching an existing linuxCNC install to use PP as a GUI? (Or is that even possible? Too many questions. I may just have to start working with one of the 2015 walkthroughs & see how far I can get before things break)

Have you had a look at linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/gui/qtdragon.html

Apparently the list of GUIs I was working from is dreadfully incomplete. No, I hadn't seen that one either. It certainly looked promising - can't go wrong with dragons - but it looks like it requires >1440x900, and I'm running on an old 1280x1024 screen. It actually hadn't even occurred to me to wonder whether the other GUIs might have a problem with that, too (and, yeah, looks like Probe Basic wants 1920x1080... no wonder it looked like they could fit so much more stuff on the screen than GmocAxis)

Grbl has its uses, but also limits of course. I wrote GrblPanel to make use of it for a while on a cobbled together machine.

I didn't really mean to knock Grbl. Well, not entirely. Between Mach3 & LinuxCNC there was actually an interim period with an OpenBuilds BlackBox that was pretty nice, but plagued by interference from the VFD, no matter what I tried to enclose or shield. I've also got an xPro v3 that lets me control a little toy Taig lathe with just an old tablet, which would be extremely challenging with any of the software stepgen setups, so it definitely has a place. It's not really something I want to run this system on, though... RF aside, it always feels a bit like I'm operating a machine with thick gloves at the end of long sticks manipulated by carrier pigeons.

Re: probe-basic, [...] and a whole bunch of others to show it in use. Also [...] if you understand German (or use the subtitle/auto-translate feature)

Unfortunately my German vocabulary is pretty much limited to 80s/90s industrial lyrics, and auto-translate is tending toward the abstract... "yes - nancy human stale surface and it all looks somehow shitty" or "he is now my god and therefore no longer want a head"... but I guess what I was wondering was whether it makes sense for someone who isn't (at least presently) going to be doing much probing. Although that's probably something of a moot point, as phillc inadvertently pointed out. At least until I decide to invest in a new monitor.

Bats, I think you have to run a regular column. Your posts make me laugh.

Funny, my therapist said the same thing. Something about deflecting conversation away from my problems :p

I have to say I am really over Windows. Lugged an old laptop with WIn7 on it to work today so I could configure my Lam stepper drivers and wasted a good 2 hours chasing driver installations and my tail... I had forgotten what it was like...,..I've mostly been using a Chromebook for the last few years.

Hardware without actively maintained driver support is always going to be a nightmare on any platform... I've got a laser printer that requires an XP print server because no one bothered to provide drivers for later versions of Windows or linux. Win7 was actually the first (and, from the looks of things, the last - 8 was iffy, and I don't do Software As A Service) MS OS that I found functional enough to use almost exclusively.

A Chromebook isn't really a fair comparison though, as it doesn't have to support the vast range of hardware and peripherals (and software, for that matter) that a full PC does. Also, call me old fashioned, call me paranoid, or call me an old fashioned paranoiac sipping an old fashioned while listening to Black Sabbath's Paranoid, but I've never been comfortable just trusting everything to The Cloud (or to Big Google) in the way Chromebooks like to... although I did very nearly throw my wallet ideals to the wind and buy a Pixel Book a few months back anyhow.

-Bats

More
03 Jul 2020 20:05 #173544 by tommylight
This topic has gotten so deep (out of topic) that not even the late Jacques Cousteau can drag it back to sunlight!
I do not remember the exact time when i started using NIX, but i do remember when i decided to wash my hands off of windoze for good, when i got my dirty little mints ( they are quite big actually ) on a beta version of vista code named Longhorn, and rightfully so as it took over 15 minutes too boot and it was still loading stuff into memory after half an hour. So it was my horns that were getting longer and after a bout an hour of messing with it, installed W2K. I also recall when win98 came out, installed it on my PC a Pentium 1 and went on to install the CD drivers, rebooted, was greeted with the infamous BSOD, had to reinstall and forgo the use of Cd till 98SE came out.
Then there was winME..................................... :) Even Chernobyl had less casualties than ME !
Oh i did start to use NIX every day from when Knoppix got out, that i do remember as i had it on my laptop for a long time, but i did use BSD even before that, i think.

More
03 Jul 2020 22:41 #173563 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Can't save file to samba share

Hardware without actively maintained driver support is always going to be a nightmare on any platform... I've got a laser printer that requires an XP print server because no one bothered to provide drivers for later versions of Windows or linux. Win7 was actually the first (and, from the looks of things, the last - 8 was iffy, and I don't do Software As A Service) MS OS that I found functional enough to use almost exclusively.

A Chromebook isn't really a fair comparison though, as it doesn't have to support the vast range of hardware and peripherals (and software, for that matter) that a full PC does. Also, call me old fashioned, call me paranoid, or call me an old fashioned paranoiac sipping an old fashioned while listening to Black Sabbath's Paranoid, but I've never been comfortable just trusting everything to The Cloud (or to Big Google) in the way Chromebooks like to... although I did very nearly throw my wallet ideals to the wind and buy a Pixel Book a few months back anyhow.

-Bats

If its a laser printer of that vintage, it most likely support postscript. Postscript does not need drivers, just the PPD file.. But MS wants you to install the PPD via a driver and now builds its own corrupted PPD for it... If you have the PPD Linux will support it. The PPD is just a text file that describes the machine specific parts (eg number of paper trays, duplex etc).

I like the Pixel phone ( I'm on my second) but they don't sell the pixelbook in my country. The Asus C434T I am writing on this is my third Chromebook and is a fantastic laptop. I run my business from the Cloud and Google Drive. I work from about 5 different devices any given day and its all so seamless. All my printers are networked so I never need to install a driver. The Lam one was the first for about 7 years... Heck even my printing from my AWS based accounting on a Linux instance is now cloud based via CUPS, a print server on AWS and a small dongle on my network... a system of my design And its 100% OS agnostic just like me.

More
04 Jul 2020 20:31 #173624 by Bats

This topic has gotten so deep (out of topic) that not even the late Jacques Cousteau can drag it back to sunlight!

Funny you should mention that... I thought I saw ol' Jacques about 18k leagues up.

Still, I wouldn't worry too much. We should be fine as long as a moderator doesn't notic... err... oh, HI THERE, MR. MODERATOR SIR! :whistle:

As far as "firsts", I started using Slackware after getting disgusted with the bloat & slowdown of MS DOS 5.x. I think I even saw one of the 100+ floppy install sets floating around in a box a couple years back (extra fun to download when 14.4kbps was still a far-off dream, and the hard drive only had enough spare room for a couple disks at a time). I spent a number of years working on Redhat servers (before any of this "RHEL", "Fedora", etc nonsense) & playing on free/net/openBSD, with the occasional lapse into Windows dual-booting for games & Photoshop (pre-1.0 GIMP was a taste I never acquired. kinda like brussels sprouts. or raw octopus, but without the nifty popping from the suckers). It wasn't until XP, though, that I started regularly using Windows again, and it was only with the release (well, beta) of 7 that I pretty much dropped my (Ubuntu, by then) linux partitions.

And we don't really need to talk about ME. "Yes, it'll break your machine. No, you can't uninstall it afterwards." *shudder* I was operating well outside the MS sphere at that point, but that didn't save me from doing tech support for people who hadn't listened when I said screamed "Run away! RUN AWAY!"

Meanwhile, back on the nominal topic...

Since we last left our heroes, I've made exactly zero progress on the os.rename() issue, beyond the fact that it does seem to be an issue with os.rename()... except when it doesn't. At this point, save for a miracle, someone else discovering a fix, or someone else miraculously discovering a miracle fix, I think I'm going to be stuck sticking to vi in a terminal, or trying to make the jump to PathPilot (and hoping it doesn't suffer similar problems). Frustrating, to say the least, after going through this much trouble getting gmoccapy to bend (more or less) to my will.

-Bats
(In other news, it took me less than ten minutes to - seemingly irreparably - break a limit switch on the virtual PathPilot . Off to a great start. Go Me!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Jul 2020 20:53 #173629 by Bats

If its a laser printer of that vintage, it most likely support postscript. Postscript does not need drivers, just the PPD file..

I think it's of late-XP vintage - Canon just couldn't be bothered to release new 7 drivers when then could just force everyone to buy brand new printers. Either way, it didn't seem to support postscript - otherwise I'd probably have come to some sort of an arrangement with Ghostscript. Instead I had to set it up with the proper printer profile on an XP box to talk to the printer itself, and a similar-but-not-actually-right profile on 7 to talk to the profile being shared from the XP box. Horribly hacky all around, and I never did manage to get the cartridge working (or the scanner, but I think that's a hardware issue), but not bad for something pulled out of the trash (this has been something of a lifelong theme when it comes to me & electronics).

I like the Pixel phone ( I'm on my second) but they don't sell the pixelbook in my country.

I fundamentally don't like/don't trust Google (anymore. once upon a time I loved them), but I'm in the process of searching for my second (third?) Pixel phone anyhow. I love that camera way too much to let go, despite having the speaker blow out, and then the battery go crazy with random shutdowns. The replacement I just tried to buy had exactly the same battery problem, so now I'm trying to shop for yet another. Just waiting to see whether it's a 1, 2, or 3 that turns up with the most attractive deal first.

Instead of the pixelbook , I eventually ended up with a Galaxy Tab S6, which I adored... right up until an update overhauled the handwriting handler for the horrid worse. It's still a nice tablet, but not nearly so great for notes anymore.

-Bats

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds