PathPilot controlled lathe toolchanger

More
18 Mar 2016 02:14 #71838 by andypugh

Micknucam may I ask what PIC you used in your tool changer. I was able to get a Emco PC Turn 50 tool turret and will convert it for use on the NovaTurn. Your method seems to be straight forward. Can you share your code?

There is already a HAL component for the Emco tool turret. No need for a PIC or any silly messing about with PWM.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Contri...oolchanger_component

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2016 02:21 #71840 by Iron-Man

Micknucam may I ask what PIC you used in your tool changer. I was able to get a Emco PC Turn 50 tool turret and will convert it for use on the NovaTurn. Your method seems to be straight forward. Can you share your code?

There is already a HAL component for the Emco tool turret. No need for a PIC or any silly messing about with PWM.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Contri...oolchanger_component

So I should be able to modify the code to interface with pathpilot?

Thanks Andy,

Iron-Man

More
18 Mar 2016 09:35 #71851 by cncbasher
Be careful . this is one area where pathpilot changes a few things , especially if you want to interface to their UI
you'll also need to compile from pathpilot sources , rather than the binarys . you may also find other components missing .
so one step at a time .

i'll take a look if you become stuck .

More
18 Mar 2016 13:08 #71854 by Iron-Man

Be careful . this is one area where pathpilot changes a few things , especially if you want to interface to their UI
you'll also need to compile from pathpilot sources , rather than the binarys . you may also find other components missing .
so one step at a time .

i'll take a look if you become stuck .

Yes, I do want to interface to their UI and make a dedicated interface that can be modified for any tool changer without changes to pathpilot.

Thanks,

Iron-Man

More
18 Mar 2016 18:57 #71878 by micknucam
It's a PIC 16F876 or u could use a PIC 16F877 if u need more pins works perfect I tried numerous examples posted in the wiki and could not get them to work so went down the pic route it's easy !! And works fine. I have used Hall effect sensors to read the toolchanger position and that work fine to. If u need any help let me know

More
18 Mar 2016 19:28 #71879 by Iron-Man

It's a PIC 16F876 or u could use a PIC 16F877 if u need more pins works perfect I tried numerous examples posted in the wiki and could not get them to work so went down the pic route it's easy !! And works fine. I have used Hall effect sensors to read the toolchanger position and that work fine to. If u need any help let me know

Micknucam thanks for the reply. I was able to get the tool changer and interface board. I am using a 7i77 for my system. Was the extra PWM signal needed for your tool changer design or for your 7i76? In other words, I understand that pathpilot outputs a PWM signal (for tool number). Does it, pathpilot, also require a PWM signal (input) for tool status?

Thanks,

Iron-Man

More
18 Mar 2016 20:26 #71881 by micknucam
Hi Iron Man yes PathPilot outputs a pwm signal it's easy to measure on an oscillascope. I use a tool change start output signal on the 7i76 which starts the pic reading the pwm signal , then pulses the tool change complete signal input on the 7i76. As u select each tool u can see the pulse width change think it's 10 % for each tool The GUI does not know what the actual tool number is u need to type it in there is no feed back !! The PIC handles all that as its last function is to compare the actual tool position with the required. If they don't match it trips a relay and e stops the machine !! My system was a 7i76 CNCBASHER changed the bit file for me and it works solid now !! You need an absolute encoder on your tool changer as its a bit messy otherwise.
Let me know if u need any help my world is upside done at the mo have rebuilt my machine shop and re organised and decorated my electronics room but will keep checking !!

Micknucam
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iron-Man

More
18 Mar 2016 20:31 #71882 by andypugh
Presumably in HAL you could see what HAL pin drives the PWM (at a guess, iocontrol.0.tool-number) and send that, instead to a tool changer component in HAL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iron-Man

More
18 Mar 2016 23:16 - 18 Mar 2016 23:17 #71885 by Iron-Man

Hi Iron Man yes PathPilot outputs a pwm signal it's easy to measure on an oscillascope. I use a tool change start output signal on the 7i76 which starts the pic reading the pwm signal , then pulses the tool change complete signal input on the 7i76. As u select each tool u can see the pulse width change think it's 10 % for each tool The GUI does not know what the actual tool number is u need to type it in there is no feed back !! The PIC handles all that as its last function is to compare the actual tool position with the required. If they don't match it trips a relay and e stops the machine !! My system was a 7i76 CNCBASHER changed the bit file for me and it works solid now !! You need an absolute encoder on your tool changer as its a bit messy otherwise.
Let me know if u need any help my world is upside done at the mo have rebuilt my machine shop and re organised and decorated my electronics room but will keep checking !!

Micknucam

Micknucam thanks. I will probably use a PIC 16F690 if possible. I have a CUI AMT203 12bit ABS encoder with SPI interface. If I understand your work, you wanted a more precise PWM signal.

Iron-Man
Last edit: 18 Mar 2016 23:17 by Iron-Man.

More
18 Mar 2016 23:19 #71886 by Iron-Man

Presumably in HAL you could see what HAL pin drives the PWM (at a guess, iocontrol.0.tool-number) and send that, instead to a tool changer component in HAL.

Thanks Andy. I want to make as few changes to pathpilot as possible.

Iron-Man

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds