PathPilot 2 How to use/enable FULL LinuxCNC capabilities.

More
16 Apr 2018 06:34 #109110 by Stigoe

To enable full functionality in PP you need to code the GUI to do so not the other way around.
The underlying LinuxCNC has only the functionality Tormach wants to support for their machines which from a product support point of view is the correct decision. They had no desire to become a linuxcnc support group and deal with all the varied things you could do in LinuxCNC and screw up your Tormach and expect them to fix it.

I understand this and I agree with their decision, so no problem with this.

The easier approach is to ask what do you want to add then you look at how to add it instead of trying to do everything.

I'd like to add some physical buttons for Run, Feedhold and Stop, and the examples I've found uses toggle2nist (and toggle). Since I'm very much a rookie when it comes to LinuxCNC (and only a little more experienced with Linux), I don't know what's the difference between toggle and toggle2nist and why they both are used/needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2018 11:38 #109387 by Stigoe
I installed Linux Mint 18.3, kernel 4.11.9-rt7 (same kernel as PP) and LinuxCNC in a VM and compiled toggle2nist and copied it over to my PathPilot install, but it complained that toggle2nist wasn't found. Is there any place the HAL components have to be registered to be found?

I also compiled toggle and compared it to the version included with PP, and there were quite a few differences. There was a reference to the source directory, which differed between my install and Tormach's, and the GCC version was different, but since I know next to nothing about LCNC, I don't know if any of this matters.

More
21 Apr 2018 13:08 #109389 by smgvbest
did you compile same version of LinuxCNC as used by PP. that would easily explain the differences you see.
as far as where it goes that would be ~/tmc/rtlib

I've added buttons to the PP without changes to this module by adding them to the GUI and supporting python code.
just as a FYI

More
21 Apr 2018 14:14 #109391 by Stigoe

did you compile same version of LinuxCNC as used by PP. that would easily explain the differences you see.
as far as where it goes that would be ~/tmc/rtlib

I've added buttons to the PP without changes to this module by adding them to the GUI and supporting python code.
just as a FYI

I did copy the file to tmc/rtlib, but still PP complained about the file not existing, hence my question if it needs to be registered somewhere to be detected.

When you say you added button, are they physical buttons or "virtual" buttons? Any pointers to how you did it? An "adding buttons to PP for dummies" would be nice... :-)

I've also seen that you have been hacking the PP GUI. Any chance of you sharing your work? I have an original PP2.0, so I have the artwork from Tormach.

More
22 Apr 2018 16:53 #109436 by Stigoe
And I can report success!! :-)

Managed to get toggle2nist compiled and running in PP2.0.2. I don't know if it was because I followed kind of the instructions in the original post, or if it was because earlier I had forgotten to uncomment loading of the component, but at least it works.

More
26 Nov 2019 22:07 #151319 by Kushagra
Hello Everyone,

I am a student at NCSU at I am currently working on creating a MTconnect adapter for Tormach PCNC440.

Can anyone please let me know how can I import linuxcnc in pathpilot terminal?

More
04 Dec 2019 00:48 #151927 by jwatte
Look in ~/tmc/script there is a run shell script that starts a Python with the right environment setup so that the import will work.

More
16 Dec 2019 23:07 #152769 by porshe
Tell me how to make the full version of linuxcnc for pathpilot 1.9

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds