Anyone using PP and assessing files on a NAS

More
10 Mar 2023 15:31 #266294 by Derek240
So dredging this post up from the past I'm finally addressing this and have a question. If I quit PP to the desktop I can easily get to my NAS through the network under "places". I have my password stored and a double click and I'm in. Unfortunately I can't get to the network from the PP GCode folder.

Is there a simple way to make this work or do I need to crawl under the hood using the instructions from smgvbest.

Thanks
Derek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2023 11:57 #266541 by Derek240
Well 5 hours later I finally have my NAS playing nicely with the linux machine. That is until Pathpilot starts and blocks anything that requires root permission. Boot directly to the desktop the share mounts to the proper folder. Boot normally to Pathpilot and it won't mount.

More
13 Mar 2023 12:13 #266543 by rodw
If PathPilot has a user account, you might be able to create an account for the user on your NAS which gives access to a home folder. Well how it works on my Synology.

An alternative  could be to install SAMBA on your pathpilot box (if allowed) and give users permissions to access their home folder
Then you can save files directly from you post processor to the nc_files folder when the gcode is created.

But of course Microsoft makes it hard. There is a SMB policy that has to be enabled on Windows  to access SAMBA

More
13 Mar 2023 12:20 #266544 by Derek240

If PathPilot has a user account, you might be able to create an account for the user on your NAS which gives access to a home folder. Well how it works on my Synology.

That's my line of thinking at this point. Not sure how PP handles user names. I have three machines running PP and if they are all "operator" with different ip addresses is that the next 5 hour hill to climb:)

More
14 Mar 2023 11:09 #266651 by Derek240
Well making an "operator" user on the NAS didn't solve the issue. I'm thinking this is an issue that is created when PathPilot starts. If I boot to the desktop the user is still "operator" and the share is mounted and I have full access . If I let PP start and then quit to the desktop I get a "must have root privileges" sort of error.

I tried to run su root to give the operator user root privileges but it's password protected.

I am doing this on a test machine FYI since I obviously don't know what the hell I'm doing :)

More
14 Mar 2023 11:41 #266653 by tommylight
Since we are experimenting, try starting PP then:
CTRL+SHIFT+F2
Try login in with known user names.
Also, can you ALT+TAB while PP is on to switch to other stuff or desktop?
What does pressing the Windows key do?
Also try CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, on older Linux that would force a menu.

More
14 Mar 2023 12:59 #266657 by Derek240

Since we are experimenting, try starting PP then

That's a whole lotta nope :) Tried all of them but didn't get any kind of result. 

I do want to clarify when I said about Pathpilot starting. If you intervene before a machine fully loads and the GUI appears the share mounts and everything works. You can go to operator/gcode/share and it is mounted.  My test box has no controller so when the choose machine splash shows up I hit exit and hold down the shift+alt key and boot to the desktop. On my actual running machine if I unplug the controller and start the computer you get a "can't find controller" screen. If you hit exit and hold down shift+alt forcing it to the desktop the share mounts properly and is fully accessible. 

So somewhere downstream Pathpilot is restricting the file system and not just at the GUI since if exit Pathpilot and force it to the desktop the restriction is still in place. The folder shows to be mounted but the user "operator" no longer has privileges. 

I'm sure they have a good reason for restricting network access in the file menu but man o man it sure makes no sense to me.

More
14 Mar 2023 13:05 #266659 by tommylight
In Linux, /etc/fstab deals with mounts at boot time, but never tried using it for network mounts, so i have no clue if that would work.
See if you can find something about mounting shares at run level 4 or 5.

More
14 Mar 2023 19:06 #266687 by Derek240
So I may have this working in a roundabout way. I was talking to vmax on the phone and we were discussing windows SMB and what he has working. I was sitting in front of a windows box that has the mills drive mapped to it. I navigated to the mounted folder and double clicked on it and the NAS folder loaded. I walked out to the Pathpilot machine and was able to open the mounted folder and access the files on the NAS. I then shut down the windows machine and the link to the NAS was maintained on Pathpilot. After I finish running the parts I'm working on I'll restart Pathpilot and see if it maintains the link.

Stay tuned to this channel:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Mar 2023 21:49 #266707 by Derek240
Well I shut down Pathpilot and when I started it back up the share was unavailable as usual. Went to the PC and did exactly like I did last time and it was empty (unmounted). Tried a few combinations of restart sequences but no love.

So at some point PP decided to allow the mounted share to become available. Nice.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.329 seconds