Tormach Plasma

More
28 Nov 2019 13:13 #151419 by Vmax549
Tormach Plasma was created by Vmax549
Anyone have an idea on how to make PathPilot into a plasma cutting control using teh Mesa THCAD card ??. Seeing how Tormach has a router version of PP it is only a step away from a plasma setup.

Just a Thought, (;-) TP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2019 13:22 #151420 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Tormach Plasma
That "step" took several years to come to a fully functional plasma with THC, and a lot, a lot of time starting with Dalur (whoever that was), BigJT, Myself, PhillC, and the help of other members of this forum.
You can give it a try, since i never used PathPilot i do not know how hard it would be,but here are some starting points:
forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...hc-config-that-works
On the first post you have all the other links and configs and info.
regards,
Tom.

More
28 Nov 2019 14:34 #151422 by Vmax549
Replied by Vmax549 on topic Tormach Plasma
OK I was assuming that LinuxCNC already had a THC component built in like most other DIY controllers do. I seems it does not , So THC is pretty much out of teh question for PP unless tormach desides to ADD a thc component to PP.

Thanks For the Time. (;-) TP

More
28 Nov 2019 14:53 #151423 by tommylight

OK I was assuming that LinuxCNC already had a THC component built in like most other DIY controllers do.

On what planet did you see that ?
None of the DIY controllers have built in THC anything, they all use external THC's.
Only Linuxcnc (now) and some industrial ( read: north of 100.000$ machines ) have proper THC control built in.

More
28 Nov 2019 14:55 #151424 by sharmstr
Replied by sharmstr on topic Tormach Plasma
Garrett at Mojo has THC working with PP: www.youtube.com/channel/UCTXqGTx2cjUYAZZzSpywYAg

More
28 Nov 2019 15:25 #151426 by tommylight
he is using a Proma THC-SD, it has nothing to do with Path Pilot as it cuts the control to Z axis and uses it's own control for it.
That would be the simplest implementation, and it works. No need to change anything on Path Pilot at all.
Beware that the Proma THC-150 will not work the same way, it has outputs that go to the computer and the computer controls the Z axis, so it will need modifications to HAL.

More
28 Nov 2019 16:54 #151436 by Vmax549
They have thc up,, thcdown ,arcOK, etc built it. Also corner freeze. with thc up allowed, Also thc lockout all from Macro control Does LinuxCNC have that in a normal version ?? IF so then it would be simple to do THC with PP. But I did not see that in LinuxCNC or PP.

(;-) TP

More
28 Nov 2019 17:22 #151441 by smgvbest
Replied by smgvbest on topic Tormach Plasma
LinuxCNC has THC control
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/thc.9.html
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/thcud.9.html

if you want PP to show this then of course you'll have to add the code yourself
Once setup in your hal file it should work even if PP doesn't show anything special happening
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Nov 2019 17:22 #151442 by tommylight
You are mixing things up:
Up/DOWN/ArcOK are signals from Proma THC150 ( or any other THC with those signal outputs ),
Corner lock is controlled by software as the THC has no clue how fast the machine is runnig or that it is about to encounter a corner
THC enable ( not lock out ) is also mostly done in software or by simply switching off the THC.
Linuxcnc has two major configs for THC, both linked in the above post and subsequent links, but you did not read them as you would have seen that both have everything that a fully fledged CNC plasma machine with THC needs, and the PlasmaC has even more than that, it has everything possible.
Anyway you look at it, you can buy the Proma THC-SD and start cutting, or start reading and modifying the GUI, the HAL and INI files to make one of those two configs work for you.

More
28 Nov 2019 22:50 #151461 by Vmax549
No I am not mixing things up. The signals are used by teh controller to do teh THC functions via software. The controller itself controls the up,down, on,off ,slow down corner lock out, lock out down ,etc. That is when you are using an outside THC sensor modual . Been plasma cutting for over 20 years now with various systems.

LinuxCNC does not seems to have these things built in like other controllers you apear to have to BUILD an entire software controller from scratch compiling all teh moduals. That is pretty much out of teh question as I would want to USE teh plasma cutter not spend all teh time learning how to make a controller.

For instance I can take UCCNC and in about 2 hours have a fully functional plasma table cutting with THC and have all teh bells and whistles. I would not have to compile anything or figure out anything like the hal ini,etc. Simply set up teh configuration and go .

I don't see LinuxCNC being able to do that.

(;-) TP

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds