Tormach Plasma

More
29 Nov 2019 00:19 #151466 by smgvbest
Replied by smgvbest on topic Tormach Plasma
From my understanding linuxcnc is designed to using external controllers. The THC pointed out is an external controller. Plug it in, hook the outputs into Linuxcnc and you have a working torch. It works differently than other controllers that is true. But utilizing external controllers that you hook it up even faster in my humble opinion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2019 00:36 #151467 by Vmax549
Replied by Vmax549 on topic Tormach Plasma
There are servakl different modes of THC control .

THC senses cut voltage and ouputs control signal for teh CNC controller to use to control teh Z axis for cutting.

THC self contained where teh THC senses voltage and controls teh Z directly and teh CNC controller has nothing to do with teh Z axis while cutting.

Integrated THC where teh THC sensor is merged with the CNC controller internally like teh Mesa THCAD and linuxCNC.

Mot of teh posts links given where simple explainations of the function NOT how to actually implement it .

So back to square one (;-) TP

More
29 Nov 2019 06:14 #151475 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Tormach Plasma
Have you seen the PlasmaC configuration? linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plasmac-user-guide.html

More
29 Nov 2019 10:54 - 29 Nov 2019 10:55 #151487 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Tormach Plasma

Have you seen the PlasmaC configuration? linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plasmac-user-guide.html

You really need to read the Linuxcnc Docs linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/
Then you will see that there is a plasma primer linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plasma-cnc-primer.html that attempts to correct all of the misconceptions you have.

Going down a few lines on the main screen you will find a link to the Plasmac Configuration which Phill linked to previously.

As Tommy noted, there is absolutely no way an external THC can achieve what Plasmac and the $100k commercial tables can do. That 100% including UCNC based plasma systems. But Plasmac supports your Proma external THC so there is no need to miss out..

And for the record, an associate that contracts machining for Tormach told me he spied a plasma cutter in their R&D lab so don't give out hope.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2019 10:55 by rodw.

More
29 Nov 2019 13:27 #151502 by Vmax549
Well that is interesting What do you think a commercial Plasma cutter can do that a DIY hobbiest needs to have . After gas/plasma cutting for well over 20 years I am interested in your comments on plasma cutting.

Is the PlasmaC version ready to go. Just install teh software and hook up the inputs and outs ??

Yes I am aware of the possiblities of a Tormach Plasma table. It is not written in stone yet.

(;-) TP

More
29 Nov 2019 16:15 #151508 by Vmax549
Tommy your PlasmaC is an interesting package. I don't see where it talks to a plasma power supply .Does it do that as well ? low end Hypertherm units talk modbus ASCII.

Does it come packaged ready to go ? Install teh package and you are ready to setup the I/O ?? Or do you have to jump throught teh normal LinuxCNC hoops to get it to work??

(;-) TP

More
29 Nov 2019 16:37 #151509 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Tormach Plasma
Not mine, PhillC did most of it.
It comes with Linuxcnc 2.8 and 2.9 so nothing to install there, and it also has a nice and easy configurator made by Phill for setting pins. It can also talk to plasma power, there are some threads discussing that here, but i do not know if anyone is using it for that.
It is by far the most complete and capable plasma control.

More
29 Nov 2019 17:29 - 29 Nov 2019 17:32 #151512 by rodw
If its in the docs, its included in a default install of linuxcnc
It comes with a Simulator so you can see what it does without building a machine.
Installation is a 4 part process.
1. Install linuxcnc from the ISO
2.. upgrade to V 2.8 or V2.9 (master branch V2.9 is probably the easiest)
3. Build a basic working config that does XYZ movement.
4. Run the Plasmac Configurator to add all of the plasma specific connections

In short, its arguably the easiest linuxcnc package to install as not one other system comes with a configurator!

If you are a Sheetcam or Fusion360 user, there is a provided script to copy your post processor config into Plasmac. Post processors are available for both of those CAM systems.

Plasmac supports various modes including one that supports external THC's like your Proma but the full power is not unleashed until you are using Mesa Hardware and their THCAD board to introduce torch voltage into Linuxcnc.

Re Hypertherm RS485 there is a component that predates Plasmac called hpmx that will be found somewhere on this forum. Phill was working with theFabricator03, a commercial user of Plasmac to incorporate it into Plasmac. I thought they had got as far as testing it but I don't think its been released.

I think just about everybody who was doing plasma with Linuxcnc have thrown out their configs (myself included) and adopted Plasmac which has benefited from our collective experience because Phill has had this ability to distill all of our ideas into one cohesive system. Heck Phill even introduced a basic shape library built into the Plasmac GUI this week.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2019 17:32 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 Nov 2019 21:14 #151521 by Vmax549
I do not use PROMA products (;-)

I also have a conversational shapes wizards for Mach3/4, UCCNC.

Just now starting with PathPilot to explore teh possibilties.

(;-) TP

More
29 Nov 2019 22:36 #151529 by rodw

Just now starting with PathPilot to explore teh possibilties.

(;-) TP

I think its a pretty easy choice. You either adopt Plasmac as a complete done for you Linuxcnc Plasma controller system and choose from the traditional Axis interface or the Gmocappy touch screen interface.
OR:
You attempt to do something with a proprietary locked down Linuxcnc system built for Tormach's own purposes for Milling machines, not a plasma table and attempt to create our own plasma config and screen set which ill be a frustrating and time consuming journey. You might be able to fold in the Plasmac component but Plasmac is much more than a real time component. Its a complete system.

here is a reason why those of us who have attempted something similar threw out hundreds of hours (probably thousands) of our time and effort to adopt Plasmac. But we did that becasue we knew that Plasmac had built upon our early work and incorporated our experience into the system. All of us have been gobsmacked to see how effortless plasmac made our life.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds