PathPilot Gear change

More
02 Apr 2021 18:49 #204544 by Vmax549
The next project on the BP_CNC mill is to make the gear change work. I have looked for example code and have not found any that show a simple Gearchange example. It seems simple enough BUT I am having trouble with getting the Gearchange switch to work. I tried inoutting the switch into the sel line but it will not except the value as a bit value. As I understand a bit value it is 0,1 on,off true,false . The input seems to fit that description as it is true,false

#The following is to correct the spindle direction for Bridgeport 2 speed gear head

loadrt gearchange count=1
addf gearchange.0 servo-thread

setp gearchange.0.min1 50
setp gearchange.0.max1 499
setp gearchange.0.min2 500
setp gearchange.0.max2 5000
setp gearchange.0.scale2 9
setp gearchange.0.sel <= hm2_7i80.0.gpio.050.in_not

setp gearchange.0.reverse 1
setp gearchange.0.dir-in 0
# setp gearchange.0.dir-out

error value 'hm2_7i80.0.gpio.050.in_not' invalid for bit

Also the dir-in and dir-out give the same problem. I assumed I would have to give the in side the output from PP and then direct the out side to the pin that defines the direction for the VFD.

I can see the values change IF I manually insert the bit values 0,1 for the SEL line.

Anyone have any ideas ??

(;-) TP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2021 20:57 #204558 by Vmax549
Replied by Vmax549 on topic PathPilot Gear change
Well it never fails (;-) I can look for a how to do it for DAYS. But the moment I post for help on the web I find what I need. I found a post by Andy and it explained it perfectly . After that I understood how to get the other function working.

Thanks Andy (;-)

(;-) TP

More
04 Apr 2021 02:30 #204706 by Vmax549
Hi Guys and Gals, I have the gearchange component working with a switch and it works well. The next improvement will be to tie the Hi/Lo button in PathPilot to the Gearchange function so when the LO is selected it switches the Gearchange..

I have found a pin using HalMeter that switches with the Hi/Lo selection. The problem is that the HAL does not see the pin. It errors with pin not found.

Manualy I use an input pin. I thought I could use the pin I found with Halmeter tormach.spindle-range but for some reason Hal cannot see that pin.

net high-gear-selected hm2_7i80.0.gpio.050.in => gearchange.0.sel
I tried this
net high-gear-selected tormach.spindle-range => gearchange.0.sel

But it errored with tormach.spindle-range not found. Even though you can see the pin in Halmeter. I guess HAL cannot find it where ever it is located ??

Anyone have an idea ? maybe I am coding it wrong ??

(;-) TP

More
04 Apr 2021 21:11 #204815 by Vmax549
Me again (;-). I have figured out how to link to the PP signal. BUT that signal needs to be inverted as it is backwards to what it needed.

net spindle-range gearchange.0.sel

I need to invert the "spindle-range" signal.

Currently HI = true and low = false. It needs to be reversed to work properly.

Any ideas ?? (;-) TP

More
More
05 Apr 2021 06:08 #204859 by Vmax549
YEP I tried invert BUT it does not seem to included with PP. the error is invert not found and a search of PP does not show any instance of it being used.

More
06 Apr 2021 00:44 #205011 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic PathPilot Gear change
invert = 1/number
reversing logic is "not"
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/man/man9/not.9.html

More
06 Apr 2021 03:08 #205031 by Vmax549
HI Andy that was the ticket. It took a few tries to get the coding correct but it did the trick. I can also use that to invert the signal that runs the air shift cylinder for the gearbox so when you select low range in PP it will shift the gearbox into LOW RANGE and reverse the spindle directions. It does a great job rigid tapping in low gear @ 500 rpms . IF the tap sticks it just breaks it in two (;-)

Who would have guessed that NOT means invert signal (;-)

Thanks again, (;-) TP

More
06 Apr 2021 08:56 #205052 by J Green
Replied by J Green on topic PathPilot Gear change
Hi Vmax549
Could or would you share your INI an HAL files ?
Sure would help out people struggling with similar problems .
Thanks
Bob

More
06 Apr 2021 13:09 #205102 by Vmax549
Hi BOB , I plan to upload all the code when I have finished it . I have code for a Jog pendant with SSO and FRO so older PP users that run with a mesa card (5i25,7i92,etc) can have a simple pendant like the newer model panel. I have also added in a spindle encoder for rigid tapping. PP makes a great companion to a Bridgeport CNC.

Just a thought , (;-) TP

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds