Low budget plasma setup, what do I need?

More
08 May 2020 11:00 #167027 by tecno
I am aware of that Tommy ;)

Next part in the printer so then it can be possible to test Y axis.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2020 11:04 #167030 by bbsr_5a
not a good part to be printet
and printed part on plasma is this realy a need why not using standard Parts like UCP and AL-Mount

More
11 May 2020 12:04 #167358 by tecno
So my results must be pretty annoying for you bbsr_5a as all parts are 3D printed.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, tommylight

More
11 May 2020 12:32 #167363 by tommylight

So my results must be pretty annoying for you bbsr_5a as all parts are 3D printed.

They should do just fine, the only forces they are going to see is when changing direction, depending on the acceleration set.

More
11 May 2020 22:30 #167429 by machinedude
everything looks supper light so i don't think it will be a problem with everything as long as the weight is kept in mind. i don't even think acceleration will be to much of an issue with such a light weight build. I've see ATC tool changers made with mostly 3D printed parts that worked just fine. so it's an option if you have one to work with. it all depends on what you have to work with and basing your designs around what you can do yourself to keep costs down. that goes a long way as long as you can think outside the box :) heck I've even seen a light duty router / engraver made with a 3D printer and was surprised by what it could do, i say print away as long as it lasts a while go for it. come to think of it i seen a 3D printed floating head for plasma done too :)

More
11 May 2020 23:47 #167439 by tommylight
There is also a guy on youtube bending metal parts with 3d printed shapes, i just did not bother to check if they were plastic or sintered metal.

More
12 May 2020 05:15 #167464 by Mike_Eitel
They are plastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 May 2020 11:27 #167500 by tecno
Time to start pondering around Z axis and floating head.

So, is the floating head a must? Pros and Cons?

More
12 May 2020 11:54 #167503 by tommylight

So, is the floating head a must? Pros and Cons?

Yes it is for large cut areas, for that small one, not really.
It is used to find the material and consequently adjust the pierce height and the cut height, the material will warp during cutting so that position changes, depending on the material being cut sometimes very much so.
Pro's = all
Con's = missed cut starts, torch touching the material during arc start messing the nozzle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tecno

More
12 May 2020 21:15 #167559 by rodw
IF your torch has a shielded tip, you might be able to get away with just ohmic sensing but I think your machine doesn't. YOu really should have a float switch. PLasmac's new probing routine relies on it to provide room for the Z axis to slow to a stop. ie. YOu will need to allow some overtravel to allow for this..

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds