Rebuilding Plasma CNC

More
26 Mar 2020 10:22 #161550 by machinedude
Replied by machinedude on topic Rebuilding Plasma CNC
i have 4 of those drives with the 750 W motors and have no complaints with them. the customer service was always good for me as well. way more expensive than a stepper system for sure. all the extra stuff adds up fast when you start adding EMI filters and line reactors to each drive though. but far nicer than a stepper system no doubt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2020 10:47 - 26 Mar 2020 10:48 #161551 by thefabricator03

i have 4 of those drives with the 750 W motors and have no complaints with them. the customer service was always good for me as well. way more expensive than a stepper system for sure. all the extra stuff adds up fast when you start adding EMI filters and line reactors to each drive though. but far nicer than a stepper system no doubt.

Its funny, I have some really expensive motors and drives. But I get the biggest kick out of pushing the cheap stuff to the limit.

On the left is a Hiwin AC servo drive, I paid about $900 AUD for it. Next to it is a generic china "Hybrid Servo drive" , paid about $130 AUD. I feel now that trying to get the most out of cheap hardware is a lot more fun than just throwing money at the problem. In the next couple of months I have a big project that should interest most people here. Just need to get a couple of other projects finished first!!

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Mar 2020 10:48 by thefabricator03.

More
26 Mar 2020 12:03 #161556 by machinedude
Replied by machinedude on topic Rebuilding Plasma CNC
for a little more i would spend the extra and skip the hybrid blue turd and just go with the DMM drives and motors. they give you a discount if you pick up a 3 or 4 axis system. they are cheap compared to the high end stuff and i think they are priced at a point where you get the most bang for your buck honestly. for servo's i would go with them again and not give it a second thought. just my 2 cents :)

More
26 Mar 2020 13:19 #161562 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Rebuilding Plasma CNC

But I have never seen online or in person a round frame stepper motor. Do they exist? Most steppers I have seen are a square frame.

And here is a picture of what i have left of the round ones:

And here are some of the square ones, more are scattered throughout the shop:
Attachments:

More
26 Mar 2020 14:16 #161567 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Rebuilding Plasma CNC
Tom at least it made you tidy the shop up ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Mar 2020 14:19 #161568 by tommylight

Tom at least it made you tidy the shop up ;)

Yup, that is a constant battle. :)

More
27 Mar 2020 04:07 #161662 by thefabricator03
Great collection Tom. Any plans for them?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
27 Mar 2020 04:11 #161665 by thefabricator03

for a little more i would spend the extra and skip the hybrid blue turd and just go with the DMM drives and motors.)

My issue is living at the bottom of the world. Every cost much more. Import tax + Shipping + Exchange rate = NOT CHEAP!!.

I have a quote for 10 motors from DMM and they have given me a big discount on them but its still very expensive. But it is a quality product and you do get what you pay for.

I will stick to playing with my blue turds for now :)

More
27 Mar 2020 07:11 #161683 by tommylight

Great collection Tom. Any plans for them?

Yeah plenty of plans, not enough time, and now not enough "moving room" to do pretty much anything, just keeping busy with some minor stuff. It is a total lock-down here, curfew 16 hours a day, a bit of a panic and we wash our hands even when we speak to someone on the phone! :)
BTW, i have some 20 small servos and 4x 1.5KW brushed DC servos with tacho but no encoders, 2x 1KW with encoders and a 3.5KW Indramat that i do not have a drive for. Been doing this for to long! :)
And i think it is time to start a new thread discussing random stuff, we keep hijacking topics, like pirates.....or Putin ! :)

More
27 Mar 2020 07:48 - 27 Mar 2020 07:49 #161687 by thefabricator03

And i think it is time to start a new thread discussing random stuff, we keep hijacking topics, like pirates.....or Putin ! :)

I agree about the hijacking, it seems we scared the OP away!

A plasma related chit chat thread would be good. I would like to learn more about those motors.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2020 07:49 by thefabricator03.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.519 seconds