Stuck

More
22 Oct 2020 01:30 #186865 by jnwinkie
Stuck was created by jnwinkie
Hi all;

I am at a point where I am stuck with my Plasma CNC build. First a call out to Tommy Light and Fabricator3 for previous guidance and insights. Through their advise/guidance I have got to the point were I have the SheetCAM working and rebuilt my plasma table to have a 4:1 reduction in gearing.

I am using an OOOOLLLLDDD CIG Plasma cutter - bought used 15 yrs ago, and just cannot seem to get a constant cut performance. It will cut thin stuff fine but anything approaching 3mm and it just becomes unpredictable. I have tried differing speeds for cuts as well as maxing out the amps. I have tried fresh consumables and even worked on the air supply to provide dessicated air. All of this to no avail.

I have included some pics to show the set up.

Does anyone have some thoughts because at this stage I am so stymied.

I am using FreeCAD for drawings, SheetCAM for G code and using the LinuxCNC plasma option for post processing and LinuxCNC 2.70 for the machine controller. I am using stepper motors and a Parallel port BoB.

I have tried the 4mm pierce height and 3mm cut height as well as a number of variables and gone from recommended cut speed of 1200mm/min down to 700mm/min with no great success.

I did try to reach out to Jim Colt on settings but the machine isn't a Hypertherm and I am sure he is a busy guy.

I am out of ideas at this stage and hope someone in the community can help give me some fresh inspiration/idea/guidance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2020 07:52 #186880 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Stuck
I heard Jim retired so is not so active anymore but you have the experts here to help you :)

To me, cutting at 3mm sounds too high for a 40 amp machine. Try 1.75mm
from the look of the cuts, I would guess

1, Too fast
2. Too high
3. poor air quality (water in the air)
4. worn consumables.

Where in AU do you live? I had to buy a refrigerated drier in Brisbane.

More
22 Oct 2020 09:30 #186884 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Stuck
Alll of what Rod said above, plus:
1 belts are loose,
are you using PlasmaC ?
If yes:
Do not use "auto volts"
Set the voltage in the "run" panel or tab
Use a welding mask to check the distance from the torch end to the material, it should look like 2 of distance so adjust the voltage till it gets there
Do not try to cut long cuts at 40A as that plasma source can do that only 40% of the time, so for 4 minutes of cutting it needs 6 minutes of rest, but do make it work properly at 40A.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
22 Oct 2020 09:35 #186885 by rodw
I don't think the belts are loose (unless on the Z) as the circles are well formed.

More
22 Oct 2020 10:57 #186890 by Mud
Replied by Mud on topic Stuck

I heard Jim retired so is not so active anymore but you have the experts here to help you :)

To me, cutting at 3mm sounds too high for a 40 amp machine. Try 1.75mm
from the look of the cuts, I would guess

1, Too fast
2. Too high
3. poor air quality (water in the air)
4. worn consumables.

Where in AU do you live? I had to buy a refrigerated drier in Brisbane.

I'm interested in understanding more about the cut height (if it's not taking us off-topic) as I also have a 40A machine meant for hand cutting (GYS 40FV) - the standoff which you can fit to the nozzle to help maintain the distance gives ~4.0mm between the work and tip. I note the TD120 (set at 40A) recommends 4.1mm across all material thicknesses. That said, for thin material (say, 1-5mm) I have been getting good results with 1.5mm height...my main problem being as I move to thicker material I can quickly destroy the plastic nozzle with molten material projecting upward on piercing (and they're ~£15 each!). Toward 4mm height on 10mm material I was struggling to get a good process (yet to try the wiggle pierce as a possible enabler for lower cutting height).

I think around 4.5mm height my system really starts to struggle to make an arc. I appreciate these are all different machines which swirl the air differently/etc.

More
22 Oct 2020 15:33 #186904 by rodw
I think thats something you get with the major brands, all that experimentation behind the cut charts.
Its all trial and error. If its not establishing an arc, I would try dropping by 0.5mm at a time. For my Everlast, I settled on about 3.5mm piercing. Pick a height that seems to work well, check some fine adjustment heights too.

Next, experiment with cut speeds by making a series of straight cuts at different speeds about 100-150mm long, 10mm apart. I cut this piece out as part of the file so i could remove it to inspect the underside. Look at the underside and pick the cleanest cut.

So now to pick a cut height, repeat the same exercise at that same cut speed but at different heights. I did from 1.5 to 2.5mm in say 0.2 increments. Pick a range of 2-3 heights and repeat at 0.05mm. Pick the best looking cut.

Then repeat the process again to confirm the cut speed is still good, Pick a final speed and repeat the height test again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mud

More
23 Oct 2020 00:42 #186951 by jnwinkie
Replied by jnwinkie on topic Stuck
Hi Rod;
Great to make your virtual acquaintance and it is nice to know there are people out there willing to help.

So to answer your questions, in no particular order.
I am located in Victoria, and after having lived in Singapore get your concept of humidity. I am using a three stage air filter that I think was one you has deployed at some stage. (see pic).

I have used brand new consumables on most tests (I think the unit maybe a very old rebadged Thermal Dynamics machinebased on the consumable part numbers).

The pierce and cut height were straight out of the manual, but I agree they seem very optimistic and will experiment on height further, but I do not have a THC! (see attached)

The unit says 1900mm/min for 3mm plate but I have slowed it right down to 700mm/min with still no real success.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the assistance.

John
Attachments:

More
23 Oct 2020 00:52 #186955 by jnwinkie
Replied by jnwinkie on topic Stuck
Thanks Tom;

You were the one who helped with the gearing on the table and it is now a 4:1 reduction, hence fixing the problems I had with cutting circles etc.
All the belts and pulleys are good ( I have pulled the damn thing apart so many times) :)

I have been pretty conscious of cycle times and don't think I have exceeded these.

PlasmaC, not sure I have been using LinuxCNC with the Axis interface, I don't have and not even sure how I could connect a THC on this machine as everything, including the torch is hard wired.

Cheers

John

More
23 Oct 2020 08:00 #186978 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Stuck
Without a THC there is no way of getting nice clean cuts consistently.
You can remove the stepper motor from Z axis and add a DC motor wired to a two way switch and a power supply so you can manually adjust the cut height during cutting, but that is tedious and requires staring at that arc all the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jnwinkie

More
23 Oct 2020 08:05 #186980 by rodw

Hi Rod;
I am using a three stage air filter that I think was one you has deployed at some stage. (see pic).

John

John, yes, I found that filter woefully inadequate and actually found a pool of water under it one day so bought a refrigerated drier.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds