Toroidal power supply and Gecko stepper questions

More
18 May 2021 20:48 #209401 by tommylight

What drivers would you go with?

I was afraid you will ask that ! :)
Lam Tehnologies, of course, always ! But they do cost nearly as much as a china servo system.
Try machapro.de, they had DS1044 and DS1076 about 30% lower than the rest.
To clarify something no one ever asked, i use switchmode power supply's always as where i live the power fluctuates a lot so during summer it goes over 250V for prolonged durations, so using a transformer is out due to those fluctuations messing the output voltage. E.G. your case a 70V toroid will output 81.136V when the input goes to 255V ! :ohmy: Rarely that goes to 260V during summer, 170V during winter, normally it sits around 196-244V always.
Rod means they have a BOOST feature that he uses to lower the current when stationary AND when cruising at normal velocity, but gives it the "beans" when accelerating and decelerating.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2021 20:55 - 18 May 2021 20:55 #209404 by rodw
These two videos explain the concepts behind the Lam Boost feature and why we applied it to our design.
www.loom.com/share/64ef8fb135ad47bcaf006761e222b076

www.loom.com/share/04d37cb0f14d4157b6a909e97a20a64a
Last edit: 18 May 2021 20:55 by rodw.

More
18 May 2021 20:59 #209405 by thefabricator03
I have been using this Antek power supply to power my four Nema 34 8nm closed loop steppers controlled by my Leadshine ES-D1008 drives for two years without any issues.

www.antekinc.com/ps-15n73-1500w-73v-power-supply/

I am running each drive at 72 VDC.

Only problem I had initially was the current draw when I turned on the power to the toroidal was too much for the circuit breaker I was using and it would trip. I replaced the circuit breaker with a "D"curve breaker and all is well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone

More
18 May 2021 21:03 #209407 by txtrone

To get the most out of these drives, you need to enable the boost feature. This requires a non standard component like you are using for your down draft.

Tommy uses Lam drivers and he was the one htat put me on to them

My downdraft solenoids are connected directly to my Mesa 7i76e board, and are operated by the HAL file/program that you wrote... which is working like a charm!

Can you provide me with a link to the nonstandard component I would need to use, along with the lam driver?

Actually, would you mind listing the motors, drivers, power supplies, and the non standard component(s)?

More
18 May 2021 21:10 #209409 by txtrone

I have been using this Antek power supply to power my four Nema 34 8nm closed loop steppers controlled by my Leadshine ES-D1008 drives for two years without any issues.

www.antekinc.com/ps-15n73-1500w-73v-power-supply/

I am running each drive at 72 VDC.

Only problem I had initially was the current draw when I turned on the power to the toroidal was too much for the circuit breaker I was using and it would trip. I replaced the circuit breaker with a "D"curve breaker and all is well.

Fabricator - Which motors exactly, if you don't mind me asking, are you using?

That's a good size power supply, if you have minimum branch circuit wire size running some distance to the toroidal it could definitely trip a 15A breaker. Sounds like your high inrush rated breaker solved the problem.

More
18 May 2021 21:14 #209410 by thefabricator03
These are the motors, I have the model with the 1/2" Shaft,
www.americanmotiontech.com/products/prod...or-1000-line-encoder

And these are my drives,
oceancontrols.com.au/SMC-184.html

I have not had any issues with my motors ,drives and toroidal power supply. I am very happy with how they perform on my large machine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone, Coachbuilder

More
18 May 2021 21:20 #209412 by txtrone

These are the motors, I have the model with the 1/2" Shaft,
www.americanmotiontech.com/products/prod...or-1000-line-encoder

And these are my drives,
oceancontrols.com.au/SMC-184.html

I have not had any issues with my motors ,drives and toroidal power supply. I am very happy with how they perform on my large machine.

I like your style.

How heavy is the gantry on your table?

More
18 May 2021 21:25 #209413 by thefabricator03
120KG. I have 10:1 planetary gearboxes on the x and duel y axises. With my motors I can move the machine at the speeds I need to cut anything with,

Acceleration might not be as good as lighter machines but I honestly cannot say I am disappointed with the cut quality I am getting even on very thin sheet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone

More
18 May 2021 21:30 #209414 by txtrone

What drivers would you go with?

I was afraid you will ask that ! :)
Lam Tehnologies, of course, always ! But they do cost nearly as much as a china servo system.
Try machapro.de, they had DS1044 and DS1076 about 30% lower than the rest.
To clarify something no one ever asked, i use switchmode power supply's always as where i live the power fluctuates a lot so during summer it goes over 250V for prolonged durations, so using a transformer is out due to those fluctuations messing the output voltage. E.G. your case a 70V toroid will output 81.136V when the input goes to 255V ! :ohmy: Rarely that goes to 260V during summer, 170V during winter, normally it sits around 196-244V always.
Rod means they have a BOOST feature that he uses to lower the current when stationary AND when cruising at normal velocity, but gives it the "beans" when accelerating and decelerating.

The boost feature requires additional hardware from Lam?

What motors do you use?

More
18 May 2021 23:21 #209421 by tommylight

The boost feature requires additional hardware from Lam?

What motors do you use?

No it does not, but programming them does require a 28 Euro dongle.
Mostly .. well almost always Sanyo Denki, getting hard to source them so will have to switch to something else.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds