Cut Parameters

More
18 Sep 2019 09:07 #145493 by phillc54
Cut Parameters was created by phillc54
Is Pause At End Of Cut in a SheetCam tool file the equivalent of Torch Off Delay in Plasmac?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2019 06:23 #145555 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Cut Parameters
yes it is
most used to keep moving delayed to the torch off as it is highly EMI within 0,5sek after M5 used

sometimes the airflow out of the noozzle does also interfear thrue the omic cable with some EMI
only on VA nonRost material
so on hypertherm we ise up to 4seconds of delay as airflow reduction at 3.5 sekonds
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
29 Dec 2019 01:28 - 29 Dec 2019 06:43 #153386 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Cut Parameters
I would appreciate some advice from experienced users.

Because the materials file will change with the addition of RS485 comms, at the same time I will remove "Torch Off Delay" from the "Config Panel" and add it as a "Cut Parameter" to the "Run Panel". So it will then also appear in the "Material File". I think this needs to be done as this delay is material dependent.

The way "Torch Off Delay" works at the moment is when the M5 signal is received the delay timer starts if there is a valid delay specified. The torch turns off after the delay times out. Motion continues while this happens so the torch will be rising to the "Safe Height" position while the delay timer is counting.

Edit2: Is this "torch Off Delay" parameter required???

"Pause At End Of Cut" is a SheetCam thing so we don't need to concern ourselves with it...

I see in the SheetCam toolset parameters there is a "Pause At End Of Cut". My reading on this is that when the M5 signal is received motion stops and the delay timer starts if there is a valid delay specified. The torch turns off after the delay times out and then motion starts again allowing the torch to raise to the "Safe Height".
Edit: I just read a CommandCNC document and it says:
The time between when the TORCH OFF signal and the Z lift at the end of a cut. Most plasma arcs needs from .2 to .5 seconds to die out

I really don't know which option is the way to go:
  1. Leave "Torch Off Delay" as it is and use the "Pause At End Of Cut" value from the toolset (if using SheetCam) as the delay time.
  2. Change "Torch Off Delay" to behave the same as my interpretation of "Pause At End Of Cut".
  3. Use both of the above.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2019 06:43 by phillc54.

More
29 Dec 2019 01:42 #153387 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Cut Parameters
Sorry but i can not recall any case that i would need that feature, mostly due to cutting 3 to 6mm plates, everything else is a rarity.
I can think of a situation where that would be useful, when cutting thinner sheets with high current on a fast machine, most probably that was the issue i encountered cutting 1.5mm plate with 70A @7600mm/m and was wondering why the end of the cut is left uncut. Now i know why. :)
On big machines with more amps and cutting thicker materials it would be nice to switch the torch off just before the end of the cut as that would lessen the divot made by the start and the end of the arc at the same place.
My recommendation: leave it as is, it got to be to much relied on sheetcam, and sheetcam absolutely deserves it, but i would like to leave the option of using it with Inkscape also without having to change anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
29 Dec 2019 01:50 #153388 by phillc54
Thanks Tom,

It is not dependent on SheetCam, it will be a Cut Parameter in the material file so it can be used by any method that does a material change or even by using the default parameters in the Run Panel.
I was concerned on how it should work and also whether the Materialverter could use that parameter when it converts a SheetCam toolset.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 Dec 2019 02:02 #153389 by phillc54

On big machines with more amps and cutting thicker materials it would be nice to switch the torch off just before the end of the cut as that would lessen the divot made by the start and the end of the arc at the same place.

You could do that by setting motion.digital-out-03 just before the end of a cut. Check out "Overcut" in this section.
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plas...tting_gcode_commands

I meant to add in my earlier reply that if you leave the "Torch Off Delay" parameter in the material file at zero (the default) then it will have no effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 Dec 2019 02:14 #153390 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Cut Parameters
Thank you Phill, already seen that but as i mentioned before i rarely cut, and all of my clients cut 3 to 6mm, and that is still under the divot problem area.

More
29 Dec 2019 04:05 - 29 Dec 2019 04:05 #153398 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Cut Parameters

To me that does not make sense. With thick material, the lower side kerf can trail behind the top side by 5mm. I thought the torch off delay (or an overcut) was to allow the lower side to catch up to the end point which implies it should still be at cut height.

I would get some input from Stefan here as he's the master at cutting 16mm. I've only done a few cuts in 16mm and I think that was actually pre plasmac.

I would also be careful about Sheetcam parameters. Is the torch off delay a sheetcam default variable or is it something specific to CandCNC posts? Some users started with a modified version of the candcnc post and it defines quite a number of additional variables that appear in the Sheetcam GUI for a plasma cut. Some of those variables are not applicable for a Plasmac config.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2019 04:05 by rodw.

More
29 Dec 2019 04:12 #153399 by phillc54

I would also be careful about Sheetcam parameters. Is the torch off delay a sheetcam default variable or is it something specific to CandCNC posts? Some users started with a modified version of the candcnc post and it defines quite a number of additional variables that appear in the Sheetcam GUI for a plasma cut. Some of those variables are not applicable for a Plasmac config.

"Torch Off Delay" is a Plasmac parameter.
"Pause At End Of Cut" is a SheetCam parameter.

More
29 Dec 2019 04:40 - 29 Dec 2019 04:40 #153402 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Cut Parameters
I'm not even sure "Pause at end of Cut" is supported in the sheetcam post processors we are using. I would have expected to see a G4 Pnn before an M5 but I'm not seeing that in the generated code. I suspect the value needs to be written in the onPenUp method in the sheetcam post but I could not see the variable name in the help file on a quick look.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2019 04:40 by rodw.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds