Beginner Plasmac Questions

More
21 Aug 2020 14:13 - 21 Aug 2020 14:18 #178922 by AgentWD40
My project is almost ready to start burning metal so I'm trying to study up on how PlasmaC actually works. And specifically I'm trying to figure out how the machine will responds to plasmac gcode .

I gather that the M3 $0 S1 command starts a whole cut sequence. This one line will do probing, go to pierce height, fire, wait for arcOk, delay, etc?

I know plasmac takes over the z. Does it only control z during cuts? Or is the z always controlled by plasmac even during jogs, rapids, etc? In other words, are literally ALL z motions within a gcode file ignored or just those in between M3 and M5? If z is ignored even outside of running gcode programs at what height does z travel? Is it the same as the Safe Height setting?

Are z limit switches strictly required? At the moment the only switch I've got installed is a float switch.

Finally, I am trying to digest all the information in the PlasmaC User Guide. In the mean time, is there something like a quick start guide out there? Just something really dumbed down and basic that walks you through getting a PP set up, processing a basic DXF, through to running your first cut on plasmac?
Last edit: 21 Aug 2020 14:18 by AgentWD40.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2020 14:37 #178923 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Beginner Plasmac Questions

Are z limit switches strictly required? At the moment the only switch I've got installed is a float switch.

You don't really need limit switches but it is good to have a Z home switch set up as hoe is shared (this will act as a limit switch) at the top

then you can set up soft limits.

You can download Sheet Cam and use if for free, for small jobs. you need to import a DXF file into it. There is a post processor for it on the forum forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/38438-plasmac-post-processors
The following user(s) said Thank You: AgentWD40

More
21 Aug 2020 15:05 #178927 by snowgoer540

My project is almost ready to start burning metal so I'm trying to study up on how PlasmaC actually works. And specifically I'm trying to figure out how the machine will responds to plasmac gcode .

I gather that the M3 $0 S1 command starts a whole cut sequence. This one line will do probing, go to pierce height, fire, wait for arcOk, delay, etc?

That's correct. Automagically; thank Phill.

I know plasmac takes over the z. Does it only control z during cuts? Or is the z always controlled by plasmac even during jogs, rapids, etc?

Plasmac controls Z from the time you press start until the job is finished. Every M3 $0 S1 will cause the cycle you described, probe, go to pierce height, fire, wait for arc-ok, delay, move, THC will engage based on the THC settings, etc. until the M5 is reached. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. You are free to control Z manually with the jog keys outside of running a program.

In other words, are literally ALL z motions within a gcode file ignored or just those in between M3 and M5?

If you use the Sheetcam PP, there wont be any Z movement in the G-Code. If you were to load a G-Code file with Z movements within the file, Plasmac will strip them out when you load the file (again, automagically).

If z is ignored even outside of running gcode programs at what height does z travel? Is it the same as the Safe Height setting?

I'm not sure I understand this question. But it is recommended that you always start a program with Z at the top of its travel. You are free to move Z around to say line up the torch before a cut, but it's best practice to jog it to the top before you start. The torch will probe, and do all of the height adjusting based on your settings in the config tab, and the material settings. Safe height will be what it uses when it is traveling around via non-cut movements while the program is running. At the end of the program, the torch will return to the top of travel.

That's actually not 100% accurate, at the end of the program, the torch will return to the height it was whenever you started the cut. But again, it's recommended that that be the top of the Z axis' travel.

No. You can set it up so that the axis will call wherever it is "home" when you home it. It will work off of soft limits from there. But, I've e-stopped the machine before parking the Z axis at the top of travel and then had to move it up manually enough times to tell you that it's worth the investment to put one on. And, it's recommended that you get all of this working before you run the Plasmac configurator.

Keep in mind that if you are using a 2 Joint Y axis Gantry setup, before homing each joint will be independent, and the normal Z jog keys may not jog Z like you expect. It was my experience that the Y jog keys jogged one Y Joint, and the Z keys jogged the other Y joint. Of course after it's homed and the two Y joints are married jogging goes back to normal. You can also set it up so that no jogging/movement can occur on any axis until the machine is homed (that's how I set mine to save me from myself). To do this, just put a - sign in front of the homing sequence value for all axes.

Finally, I am trying to digest all the information in the PlasmaC User Guide. In the mean time, is there something like a quick start guide out there? Just something really dumbed down and basic that walks you through getting a PP set up, processing a basic DXF, through to running your first cut on plasmac?

None that I'm aware of. I think we all sort of fumbled through it by either searching/asking here, and watching YouTube. There are a few great series for getting started with SheetCAM.

More
21 Aug 2020 15:18 #178929 by hermann1976
I also recently started with a plasma machine, but I always have to do with programming in my work.
I use the DXF2GCODE program to convert DXF to G code and have had good experiences with it.
The post processor can be easily adjusted here.
I have attached a simple sample program.
Attachments:

More
21 Aug 2020 16:07 #178932 by tommylight

In the mean time, is there something like a quick start guide out there? Just something really dumbed down and basic that walks you through getting a PP set up, processing a basic DXF, through to running your first cut on plasmac?

Post Processor and DXF are not parts of PlasmaC, they are CAD related and should be treated as such, so anything regarding them requires knowledge of the CAM software used to create the DXF and the underlying Post Processor. Editing the Post Processor to export gcode suitable for PlasmaC has been discussed on this forum more than once for SheetCAM and Fusion360:
www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=3fA_X...wpCQYQ4dUDCAY&uact=5
www.google.com/search?ei=7fA_X6C1MNHxkwW...qfCEwQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

More
21 Aug 2020 16:31 - 21 Aug 2020 16:36 #178936 by AgentWD40

Post Processor and DXF are not parts of PlasmaC, they are CAD related and should be treated as such, so anything regarding them requires knowledge of the CAM software used to create the DXF and the underlying Post Processor. Editing the Post Processor to export gcode suitable for PlasmaC has been discussed on this forum more than once for SheetCAM and Fusion360:

I understand your point. But holistically these are certainly parts of the process from going from idea to physical part. A beginners basic tutorial/walkthrough through a whole tool chain with a very basic part aimed at plasmac could be helpful to beginners. I realize CAD/CAM are huge topics in of them selves and there are countless resources out there for those specific steps.

For example, here is a brain dead walkthrough written for people to get there feet wet with svg -> estlcam -> marlin (v1's cnc variant) that just works
docs.v1engineering.com/software/estlcam-basics/

I'm just wondering if this hand holding exists. A template to work off of could lessen the learning curve for folks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining and I'll figure out eventually one way or the other!
Last edit: 21 Aug 2020 16:36 by AgentWD40.

More
21 Aug 2020 16:50 - 21 Aug 2020 16:53 #178939 by AgentWD40
Thanks for the heads up on DXF2GCODE. I'll check that out soon. Do you have a PP for it or are you saying it's easy to just tweak it your self in settings somewhere?

That leads me to another question about feedrates.

From the user guide
"It is also recommended that holes with a diameter of less than 32mm (1.26") are cut at 60% of the feed rate used for profile cuts... PlasmaC can utilise G-Code commands usually set by a CAM Post Processor (PP) to aid in hole cutting or if you do not have a PP or your PP does not support these methods then PlasmaC can automatically adapt the G-Code to suit. This automatic mode is disabled by default."
That is in regard to holes, but what about coming into curves in general? Does the automatic mode only apply to holes? Does good CAM pp look ahead to see tight curves and slow the feed rate or do we just rely on linuxcnc's path planning, is it a non issue for short arcs, or what?

Hopefully my question here isn't too confusing...
Last edit: 21 Aug 2020 16:53 by AgentWD40.

More
21 Aug 2020 17:17 #178944 by tommylight
That was not meant in any bad way, it is just the reality of the PlasmaC getting pulled into the reality of whatever someone somewhere thinks he knows best and making it very confusing for members like you that are doing their best to learn and understand and use PlasmaC, or to put it differently, using Fusion360 or AutoCad for Plasma cutting is utterly useless or something similar to shooting a fly with a shotgun = chances are the fly will continue to fly despite all the noise and collateral damage to the surrounding environment = wasting 2 hours to do a part that will take 2 minutes to cut, not counting the time it takes to learn using CAM.
Plasma cutting is a 2D affair and everything related to it should be treated the same way, as simple as possible so from the included wizard made by Phill that can do some intricate stuff to Inkscape that already has plenty of stuff related to plasma and outputs code that can be used directly in PlasmaC, that should be it ! Maybe add SheetCAM to the mix as it can do nesting easier and better than Inkscape.
My clients have over 10 plasma cutters in use every single day, all day, only one of them uses SheetCAM, and all of them use exclusively Inkscape. One of them went so far as paying over 7000 Euro for several Plasma CAM software packages, only to conclude that Inkscape does everything better overall. Do not get me wrong, some of those CAM packages had some nice features and some did one thing or the other better than Inkscape, while some where utterly useless, but in total the result was very disappointing.
Please do give the wizard and Inkscape a good look, you will not be disappointed.

More
21 Aug 2020 17:28 - 21 Aug 2020 17:33 #178945 by AgentWD40
See there, I had no idea that so many were just using just inkscape! Do they just use the default Extensions -> Gcodetools -> Path to Gcode... or is there more to it? "Prepare path for plasma..."? A plasmac pp for inkscape?

I'm reminded of another question. I see plasmac has some automagic logic for hole cutting like overcut, what about lead in/out?
Last edit: 21 Aug 2020 17:33 by AgentWD40.

More
21 Aug 2020 17:34 #178946 by tommylight
First choose the tool as plasma, then prepare path then path to gcode.
Have a look at the 28 second mark, that is generated by Inkscape and that is the sort of stuff my machines do every day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AgentWD40, snowgoer540

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds