Sheetcam and trying to generate spotting gcode.

More
04 May 2021 23:45 #207907 by rodw

looks like that will work. I posted on the sheetcam forum, since I believe that the issue shown above is still a bug. Not completing the operation before changing the setup is just wrong.

I don't think its a bug. Expected use is to use spotting on a seperate layer with a drill operation. This then locates the centre of the hole. You can't locate the hole centre on a jet operation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2021 01:03 #207920 by phillc54

I don't think its a bug. Expected use is to use spotting on a seperate layer with a drill operation. This then locates the centre of the hole. You can't locate the hole centre on a jet operation.

That is exactly how I have used it for a long time...

More
05 May 2021 07:54 #207939 by phillc54
I did some work on the temporay materials and have a test branch if anyone wants to give it a try.

github.com/phillc54/linuxcnc/tree/phillc54/temp_materials

This was tested with the gcode that Rod posted on this thread so it should work with the PP that Les posted on this thread.

It allows any number of temporary materials so in theory you could have an empty <machine_name>_materials.cfg file and just use the temporary materials from gcode.

The only changes from a user perspective are that you can add a material name to a temporary file with the "na=" option. If you mix and match adding materials, editing materials, and temporary materials then all temporary materials must appear after any add/edit materials.

It uses material numbers starting at 1000000 so hopefully it won't conflict with materials in the <machine_name>_materials.cfg file.

The material change for temporary materials is also handled by QtPlasmaC and should not be in the gcode file.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
19 May 2021 15:44 #209522 by robertspark

File Attachment:

File Name: plasmac_20...4-28.zip
File Size:3 KB

forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/42374-sheetca...code?start=40#207300

I think there is a bug in the Sheetcam Plasmac Postprocessor done by Les in this link (I believe / it appears to be the latest)

post.NonModalNumber(", fr=", GetFeedRate() * scale, precision)

fr is coming out as "100", despite me setting it at "4800"

More
30 May 2021 16:07 #210688 by snowgoer540
Got a chance to dabble with Les' post today, as I am working on a job that I wanted to give spotting a go for.

I really liked that Phill's post chopped each cut into sections. It also showed the length of each cut at the beginning of the cut section.

Also, at the end in the statistics, it showed the total cut length.

Is it possible to add these to the SheetCAM maintained post? I used the first one (being in sections) to easily get back to points where the process failed, or to only cut certain sections later. I used the second to quote jobs.

I can add them myself, but I figured I'd ask here in case anyone else used them as well.

Also, when I make changes to a SheetCAM generated post, will my edits be wiped out when I update SheetCAM if there is an update to the post I use?

More
10 Aug 2021 15:41 - 10 Aug 2021 15:42 #217407 by LesNewell
Sorry for the late reply but better late than never I suppose.
I can add more information if enough people want it.
snowgoer540, if you edit a post your edited version is kept in SheetCam's settings directory. Updates will not overwrite it. If the post name is shown in the post list with (edited) at the end of the name, it is in your settings directory.

Roberspark, I can't replicate your feed rate issue. Just a thought - are you changing the tool's feed rate? The post uses the operation's feed rate which may not be the same as the tool feed rate.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2021 15:42 by LesNewell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, snowgoer540

More
08 Nov 2021 06:24 #225628 by rodw
I've found a couple of bugs in the sheetcam postprocessor (and one in QTplasmac too).
I've also edited it to support QTplasmac's hole processing modes which is on by default
I've posted it on the sheetcam forum but a copy is also attached here. Hopefully Les will take the revisions back into Sheetcam's post processor library
forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8651&p=29441#p29441

File Attachment:

File Name: LinuxCNCPl...post.txt
File Size:11 KB

Delete the .txt extension before use.
If you don't want to use the hole processing. edit the post and set holeMode = 0
Attachments:

More
08 Nov 2021 11:04 - 08 Nov 2021 11:05 #225661 by rodw
So the post I shared above and on the sheetcam forum will find its way into the next version so it would be good to test this
Last edit: 08 Nov 2021 11:05 by rodw.

More
08 Nov 2021 12:27 #225674 by bevins
What is hole processing from  QTPlasmaC and how is it used? I did not find the qtplasmac docs on it.

I am using the rules in sheetcam to slow the feedrate to 50" on holes smaller than .5".

More
08 Nov 2021 12:50 #225680 by rodw

What is hole processing from  QTPlasmaC and how is it used? I did not find the qtplasmac docs on it.

I am using the rules in sheetcam to slow the feedrate to 50" on holes smaller than .5".

By default it is slow to 60% for holes < 1.26" (32mm)
There is another mode that also applies the slowdown to arcs < 16mm (50% of 32mm) which will be good for slotting
And another mode does an overcut (default 4mm) at the end of the hole

All of those numbers can be overridden using gcode variables like #<h_diameter> = 0.5So basically with the combination of the rules and velocity anti dive means you should never need to use sheetcam rules

It would be good if you could give that post a whirl to confirm the imperial settings work. Just view the gcode and you'll see whats going on in the preamble

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds