QtPlasmaC Jogging Lag

More
03 Sep 2021 14:21 #219524 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic QtPlasmaC Jogging Lag
I would recommend 19.4.  I think someone around here didnt have success with 21, I cant remember the issue or who it was though. 

I do know that the "ahs" version is not usable though, reckon Phill confirmed that. 

If you run into any snags, let us know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2021 14:37 #219529 by Uthayne
Replied by Uthayne on topic QtPlasmaC Jogging Lag
Oops, yes, I meant 19.4. That is the one I grabbed earlier (non ahs)

More
03 Sep 2021 14:47 #219532 by snowgoer540
I've no idea your level of experience with Linux and what not, so disregard if this is stuff you already know, but:

Installing the rt kernel is as simple as:
sudo apt install linux-image-rt-amd64

The key I've had success with most recently:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key EF1B07FEE0EE663E

And I find it easiest to to install a package version of lcnc first even if you want to RIP as it brings most of the dependencies.

QTVCP install:
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/qtvcp/designer/install_script

Lastly, a convenient list of RIP build dependencies:
sudo apt install -y debhelper tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev libreadline-gplv2-dev asciidoc dblatex
docbook-xsl dvipng graphviz groff inkscape source-highlight w3c-linkchecker xsltproc texliveextra-
utils texlive-font-utils texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-french
texlive-lang-german texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-spanish texlive-latex-recommended
asciidoc-dblatex python3-dev libxmu-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev gettext intltool
autoconf libboost-python-dev libmodbus-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev yapps2 libtirpc-dev

If nothing else, that should take some of the guess work out.

Still hoping to make my install post for MX Linux 19.4 in the next day or so. It has extra stuff like walking users through making it more "windows like" or inadvertently "mint like".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Uthayne

More
03 Sep 2021 14:50 #219533 by Uthayne
Thanks Greg! I've done this quite a few times so I know my way around, but it's always helpful to see all of this in one place. I really appreciate it!

More
03 Sep 2021 14:52 #219534 by snowgoer540

Thanks Greg! I've done this quite a few times so I know my way around, but it's always helpful to see all of this in one place. I really appreciate it!

I sort of figured just from looking at your config, but happy to help either way.

I look forward to seeing if it eliminates your jog lag.

More
03 Sep 2021 16:47 #219541 by Uthayne
Up and running again with MX 19.4 and RIP installation. CPU usages maxes out around 48% and there's no lag!

After installing the list of dependencies you listed, I was still missing quite a few. I ran dpkg-checkbuilddeps and was able to grab the rest.

I then tried to fire up a backed up version of my configuration and while it would come out of e-stop, it wouldn't power on. I noticed that the config folder was missing the symlink to the qtplasmac folder in ~/linuxcnc-dev/configs/by_machine/qtplasmac. Even after adding this it wouldn't power on. I ran pncconf again according to the qtplasmac docs just to create a skeleton config with the right symlinks and such and then copied over it with my old ini and brought my previous hal files over.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Attachments:

More
03 Sep 2021 16:50 #219542 by snowgoer540
The dependencies list assumed that you did a package install first, then ran the qtvcp script, and then did a RIP build.  

if you followed that order, the list should have been pretty accurate.  

at any rate, glad you got it going with no lag!

More
03 Sep 2021 16:53 #219543 by Uthayne
Hmm.. that's strange. Because I did follow that order and confirmed the package installed was working first with my mill config.

Nevertheless, it was easy to fix

More
03 Sep 2021 16:58 #219544 by snowgoer540
Thanks for the feedback, I’ll definitely look into it before I post the guide.

More
03 Sep 2021 23:00 #219561 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic QtPlasmaC Jogging Lag

I applied the fix and it did lessen the lag. During idle state, CPU usage is ~70%. When I am jogging around it goes to about 85-90%. I would say the lag has been cut by 90% or so. Although it is usable now, I still think that I am going to be switching over to MX 21 as I could probably use a fresh start anyway.

It would be nice to know why you get such high cpu usage, it does seem odd. Maybe a different Qt or python version???

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds