Exiting conversational

More
20 Oct 2021 10:32 #223650 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Exiting conversational
@Tommy thanks. matter of fact, I have a lot of very small parts very close together. But when I look the IHS distance is set on the parameters tab which is not accessible while running a jib. I would be loath to run it on a nest with 528 pierces without being able to disable it on the fly. We really need to be able to access the parameters tab at all times.

@Greg thanks, I'll check it out. The tab really needs a back button even if it opens a confirmation dialog. From what I read, you would end up clearing your program just by taking a wrong turn to go back. I've only used conversational once and that was in gmocappy..

@Phil, I had a look at the Plasmac.comp code. I don't think it would take much to provide a hyper-probing option. I was going to look at it tonight but we had a hailstorm which upset the routine... I was thinking there would be an enable pin toggled from a GUI button so it would not affect any current behaviour. I don't think safe height is much of an issue so will probably leave that alone..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2021 10:41 #223651 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Exiting conversational

@Greg thanks, I'll check it out. The tab really needs a back button even if it opens a confirmation dialog. From what I read, you would end up clearing your program just by taking a wrong turn to go back. I've only used conversational once and that was in gmocappy..

There's an "undo" button. Which is a synonym of sorts for "back" :)

Keeping in mind that conversational is not meant as a replacement for CAM, I think it really adds a ton of functionality to the GUI. Especially the new "Block" feature (added in v .99).

Any thoughts on tracking down how to duplicate the run from line issue you're seeing?

More
20 Oct 2021 11:41 #223657 by snowgoer540
Questions about RUN FROM LINE, as I'm doubtful that you'll post a backup of your config:
  1. Did you have "RUN FROM LINE" checked on the parameters tab?
  2. Were you in the editor at all doing any editing prior to this?
  3. Did you click on a line in the G-Code display window on the right hand side at any point before or after doing the laser stuff?
  4. Did you click on any of the preview lines in the Preview window at any point before or after doing the laser stuff?
  5. You indicated that this happened after using Laser to align to a sheet.  Did you have the G-Code loaded before you did this, or after you did this?
I think that's it for now, unless you can come up with repeatable steps to duplicate...

More
21 Oct 2021 01:13 #223729 by rodw

Questions about RUN FROM LINE, as I'm doubtful that you'll post a backup of your config:
  1. Did you have "RUN FROM LINE" checked on the parameters tab?
  2. Were you in the editor at all doing any editing prior to this?
  3. Did you click on a line in the G-Code display window on the right hand side at any point before or after doing the laser stuff?
  4. Did you click on any of the preview lines in the Preview window at any point before or after doing the laser stuff?
  5. You indicated that this happened after using Laser to align to a sheet.  Did you have the G-Code loaded before you did this, or after you did this?

I think that's it for now, unless you can come up with repeatable steps to duplicate...

Greg, sorry I have not looked at the machine again since as I'm busy processing what I cut! And I missed your first question.
The screen dump I shared was still on the screen the next morning, not from a re-alignment. I just tried again and it behaved. The material was 1205 x 600 mm X x Y and I aligned on the short (600mm Y edge). I would have had a job loaded as this was the third section of a full sheet. If it was not loaded, the one before would have been.

It took me by surprise but ran the job anyway first with torch disabled for a short time before hitting cycle stop and enabling the torch before starting again. I can't see I could have done anything with run from line because that implies I had to run some code which I would not do until the sheet was aligned.

Two more questions.

1. Are the new pins added by Martin just to QTplasmac GUI and documented in section 14.2 pf the docs?

2. How can I upgrade my machine when I installed the debs built from a RIP install (on Debian 11)? I get tangled up with paths somehow and rip-environment won't run. Last night on another machine, I uninstalled the debs from synaptic and still had env issues so I went back to all of the autogen and configure stuff which seemed to fix it. First time I have ever installed debs like that. I've always used RIP from day dot.

More
21 Oct 2021 01:26 #223732 by rodw
Config attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: Spaceship_...6.tar.gz
File Size:21 KB
Attachments:

More
21 Oct 2021 01:27 #223733 by snowgoer540

It took me by surprise but ran the job anyway first with torch disabled for a short time before hitting cycle stop and enabling the torch before starting again. I can't see I could have done anything with run from line because that implies I had to run some code which I would not do until the sheet was aligned.

It's benign, to be honest. In a "normal" situation, the text would just be changed to indicate that the user is about to execute a run from line version of their original gcode (rfl.ngc). Clicking "RELOAD" should get rid of it in the meantime if it happens again and it bothers you. I am in the process of looking at the code.

1. Are the new pins added by Martin just to QTplasmac GUI and documented in section 14.2 pf the docs?

Yes, they were just to the qtplasmac handler file. They are documented in 14.2.

2. How can I upgrade my machine when I installed the debs built from a RIP install (on Debian 11)? I get tangled up with paths somehow and rip-environment won't run. Last night on another machine, I uninstalled the debs from synaptic and still had env issues so I went back to all of the autogen and configure stuff which seemed to fix it. First time I have ever installed debs like that. I've always used RIP from day dot.

I'm a bit confused because it seems like you are crossing streams here. You really only installed the package versions of linuxcnc to fulfil the dependency requirements easily. You dont need to keep the package install past that if you with to run RIP.

If you open a terminal and type:
linuxcnc <path_to_ini_file>
then that would run the package version.

If you open a terminal and type:
~/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/linuxcnc <path_to_ini_file>

Then that would run the RIP version, assuming that you cloned the project to the linuxcnc-dev folder.

Assuming you do the latter method, then setting the environment is part of that script, so no need to rip-environment before running it.

Updating for a RIP install is (generally) as easy as:
cd linuxcnc-dev
git pull
cd src
make
sudo make setuid

Sorry if that isn't what you were asking, I didn't totally follow your question.

More
21 Oct 2021 01:29 #223734 by snowgoer540
I should note that I am also unable to duplicate it on VM or my regular machine at the table...

More
21 Oct 2021 01:46 #223741 by rodw
Re 2. When I built this machine using Debian 11 to sort out the Python 3 stuff, I had to build RIP. For the firs time ever, I built the RIP and then built and installed the debs so I could run this much easier on a production machine that I wanted start to lock down and get stuff into the menus.

But now I need to upgrade becasue of bug fixes you pointed out earlier. I started playing with another machine at home that is configured the same way.

I always ran the rip-environment script previously. But it is now disabled becasue I installed the debs. I wanted to halcompile a revised version of plasmac.comp but had troubles because the env variables pointed to the deb version. I did the steps I always did (same as which you mentioned) to upgrade the RIP code and compile it, but I was still stuck. So I removed the debs using synaptic but the env variables remained.

So then I did this
> cd linuxcnc-dev/src
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --with-realtime=uspace
> make
Which did get me back to a normal RIP install. 

I think I need to revert my production do be a RIP install so I can keep up with changes and not get caught up with the crap I had to put up with last night. I did not think the rip-environment script would refuse to run with a deb install.

So I wanted to know the best way to undo the deb install and revert soley to RIP.

More
21 Oct 2021 01:54 #223745 by snowgoer540
It still seems to me like you are confusing the two.

At any rate, if you are planning to edit comps and what not native to the project, then RIP is the easier route.

More
21 Oct 2021 02:21 #223748 by rodw
Is there a deb install yet for Debian 11?
The reason why I went the path I did is there wasn't and there was a lot of missing dependencies if you tried to use Buster debs on buildbot.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds