Framing set origen

More
04 Nov 2021 02:13 #225187 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Framing set origen
Framing is based on X0/Y0 plus the laser X/Y offsets, not the torch position.

It may look like torch position in the video but that is because when you do a laser touchoff then the torch will be at X0/Y0 plus the laser X/Y offsets postition. If you move the torch somewhere else in X/Y then it will return to X0/Y0 plus the laser X/Y offsets when framing begins.

There is an issue with framing for jobs rotated around the Z axis though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2021 06:20 #225203 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Framing set origen

Rodw did all that but it did not work after placing my origin I smashed the x0y0 button but it does not solve the problem, now I tried the recent update and it is working as it should.

I can confirm the old code is wrong on my table. I'm just waiting for the latest code to compile.

I also observed that for framing to work, with sheetcam generated code, you must not add a end of job parking position or the framing will include it. Parking has never really worked for me as you don't often know where to move it to so there is material under the torch. Its just easier to slip a scrap of material under it to stop the splashing.

I'll be back after I test the new code!

While I was waiting I was cleaning up the various buttons to suit me and noticed that the "&" in "Pierce &Cut"  does not display correctly. 
I changed it to say "Pierce\'nCut" which looks nicer. Maybe it can be corrected.

I also changed the order of some buttons so those that are enabled without homing are grouped together at the top, followed by those enabled when homed, then those that require code to be loaded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulsao

More
04 Nov 2021 07:15 - 04 Nov 2021 07:16 #225205 by rodw
This is now perfect!

A video using the framing option with a laser pointer in use. Filmed with my new Pixel 6. Amazing sound and picture quality I thought!

Note the position of my laser v's the pencil used earlier. Assuming machine 0,0 is at the front left of the machine, a laser needs to be mounted forward and to the left of the torch like mine or it won't have enough travel for the laser to reach the corner of a sheet. I sometimes get caught with a full sheet  as I only have about 20 mm spare on my x travel. If I am not accurate, I can't cover the full sheet.

I might also mention that steel sheets are generally a bit oversize so its not critical to be dead accurate when aligning a sheet if cutting the full sheet at a time. eg the 1200 x 2400 sheet I have here to cut measures 1212mm wide so as long as I am within about 5mm of the edge when aligning everything is fine.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2021 07:16 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Nov 2021 09:59 #225219 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Framing set origen
Your comment in the video that it's not ending correctly is a bit off. I wanted to clear up that Framing does not frame about the origin, it frames the extents of the G-Code to be cut. Therefore, at the end of a frame job it would not return to the torch origin, nor the origin with the laser offset applied.

Framing is the ability to move the torch around the perimeter of a rectangle that encompasses the bounds of the current job.

To illustrate this clearly, take the ellipse below. It is offset from the origin by 4 dinosaurs (4dinos * 25.4mm/dino for metric folks) in both X and Y. I had to pause the framing job to capture, but the pink line is the result of the framing job. You can see that it does not frame about the origin, it frames about where the job will get cut.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulsao

More
04 Nov 2021 10:13 #225221 by snowgoer540

While I was waiting I was cleaning up the various buttons to suit me and noticed that the "&" in "Pierce &Cut"  does not display correctly. 
I changed it to say "Pierce\'nCut" which looks nicer. Maybe it can be corrected.

You are correct, it will look weird. That code is carry over from your conversion from PlasmaC to QtPlasmaC.

Old default code for cut-type button:
BUTTON_4_NAME           = Pierce\& Cut
BUTTON_4_CODE           = cut-type

New default code for cut-type button:
BUTTON_4_NAME           = NORMAL\CUT
BUTTON_4_CODE           = cut-type

So new users get the new default, and conversions have to do some editing :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, paulsao

More
04 Nov 2021 19:20 #225252 by rodw

Your comment in the video that it's not ending correctly is a bit off. I wanted to clear up that Framing does not frame about the origin, it frames the extents of the G-Code to be cut. Therefore, at the end of a frame job it would not return to the torch origin, nor the origin with the laser offset applied.

Yeh, I know, I did say it was OK. I really meant that. I did not mean to be critical. But I know the off the cuff script came out a bit wrong!

Thanks for clarifying the buttons. I also noticed that I had lost my pulse button. Now I know why. I have to work out what else I'm missing now! Like the single cut button. I was going into the conversational area which was a real pain.

The default button that has got lost from the early days is the park button to load sheets. I really missed that so I'm glad to have it back.

I also think the Home button I added that issues a G28 will be handy to bring the torch back to where I can reach it.

More
04 Nov 2021 19:33 #225253 by snowgoer540
For the missing buttons, you might check the .ini for one of the sample screens, it should contain what is distributed as the default with new build configs.  

Otherwise I could post next time I’m at my pc

More
04 Nov 2021 22:52 #225292 by phillc54

That just happens to be a "feature" of QT. If you want to show an ampersand on a user button then you need to enter two ampersands:
BUTTON_4_NAME = PIERCE\&&CUT
I will add a note in the docs.

More
04 Nov 2021 23:50 #225302 by rodw

That just happens to be a "feature" of QT. If you want to show an ampersand on a user button then you need to enter two ampersands:
BUTTON_4_NAME = PIERCE\&&CUT

I will add a note in the docs.

[/quote]

On the subject of buttons, I was unable to Pulse the torch. The button is always disabled. Can you look at that? I could not see anything in the docs that indicated you needed enable the feature somehow.

Also as QT now remembers the nc_code folder and the sort order, I wonder if there could be a button action to "load latest". When pressed, it would look in the current folder (eg nc_files) and load the newest file it finds by date/time.

So if you create a new file from your postprocessor, you could just walk up to the machine and load it with one button press.

I usually run Sheetcam on windows in my office and push files over by FTP so it would be great to smooth this process. But if I ran sheetcam on the plasma, it stored generated code in this folder.

I have to say QTP is looking really good from a UX point of view!

More
04 Nov 2021 23:56 #225306 by phillc54

On the subject of buttons, I was unable to Pulse the torch. The button is always disabled. Can you look at that? I could not see anything in the docs that indicated you needed enable the feature somehow.

You need to be out of estop, power on and torch enabled. It does work here on my table at this very moment.

Also as QT now remembers the nc_code folder and the sort order, I wonder if there could be a button action to "load latest". When pressed, it would look in the current folder (eg nc_files) and load the newest file it finds by date/time.

We could probably look at this as a user button function.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.479 seconds