Unexpected latency issue

More
21 Nov 2022 18:42 - 21 Nov 2022 18:46 #257243 by LucasWorx
Can someone help me confirm that my latency is not so good? I receive the latency error while running QTPlasmaC every so often and I fear it is the cause of some resolution issues I'm having. My computer is an older Sony Vaio with a large and wide open hard drive along with extra RAM that I swapped from another laptop. It's a Core i5 but I'm not sure which chipset model it is. I would think this computer should be plenty fast enough to run the program but maybe I'm wrong. The BIOS menu only shows me a few options and none of them have anything to do with power saving or settings. Attached are some latency tests results from last night and today. Any help with this is very much appreciated.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Nov 2022 18:46 by LucasWorx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2022 19:06 #257245 by snowgoer540
The latency is pretty bad.  Laptops are never a suitable host for linuxcnc due to the inherent power saving nature of the chipsets.  

More
21 Nov 2022 19:29 #257249 by LucasWorx
Replied by LucasWorx on topic Unexpected latency issue
Ahh ok. Yes I think I have read that before as well but I have seen many people running laptops so I was kinda hoping for the best.

More
21 Nov 2022 19:44 #257250 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Unexpected latency issue

Ahh ok. Yes I think I have read that before as well but I have seen many people running laptops so I was kinda hoping for the best.

If you have disabled all in the BIOS you can, you could try adding isolcpus=2,3 to your boot up string using grub-customizer If you can't get it under 200,000 forget it!

More
21 Nov 2022 20:03 - 21 Nov 2022 21:52 #257253 by LucasWorx
When I access the BIOS, there really isn't much for me to adjust. The only thing I see is the boot order and enabling a password. Idk, maybe it's a Sony thing or maybe there is another way to access the BIOS with more settings listed? I tried researching it but I didn't see any other way aside from the way I'm doing it now.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2022 21:52 by LucasWorx.

More
21 Nov 2022 21:51 #257265 by LucasWorx
RodW, your comment about getting it under 200k kinda helped point me in the right direction as far as what I'm looking for. I don't have many options in BIOS but I was able to disable a few thing including the CD rom and memory card slot as well as a couple more. I'm abusing it right now with a bunch of applications open and so far it seems to be reading MUCH better. On the .ini file under servo_period, do I want to enter the maximum jitter for servo thread or base thread?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
21 Nov 2022 21:58 #257267 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Unexpected latency issue
Do not edit the servo period. This MUST be 1000000 for any normal use.
Also the latency test is just a rough estimate of usability, the only sure way is to test with hardware attached.
So, use this for testing latency:
- for use with mesa boards latency-histogram --nobase --sbinsize 1000 --show
- for use with parallel port latency-histogram --show
Also start several glxgears from the button on the histogram window, play youtube, and most importantly, maximize and minimize the glxgears and youtube windows, all this while the test is running.

More
21 Nov 2022 23:16 - 21 Nov 2022 23:17 #257271 by LucasWorx
Ok got it. Thanks. Max jitter went downhill after my last response. Currently researching on how to add the grub boot file parameter per Rodw's suggestion and give that a try.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Nov 2022 23:17 by LucasWorx.

More
21 Nov 2022 23:19 #257273 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Unexpected latency issue
"quiet splash"
add whatever you need
"quiet splash lost_my_cpu"
Save and exit, then run
sudo update-grub

More
22 Nov 2022 00:43 #257274 by LucasWorx

"quiet splash"
add whatever you need
"quiet splash lost_my_cpu"
Save and exit, then run
sudo update-grub

Ok, so it should read like this, correct?
Attachments:

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds