Possible to manually use laser on a dry run ?

More
16 Aug 2023 21:38 #278202 by beefy
Something I sometimes do when I have some "scrap" steel, is a dry run with the outline of a part(s) to ensure the cut will fit. This is very different to just a rectangular frame.
Normally I just watch the torch to ensure it wont go over the edge but if laser crosshairs could be turned on, with the associated XY peripheral offsets applied, this would be much faster and easier.
So is there any way to manually activate/de-activate the qtplasmac.laser_on hal pin so these offsets are applied to the XY dry run moves.
I know it can be automatically activated for setting work offset zero, or doing framing, but can't see anything about manual activation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2023 22:49 #278209 by snowgoer540
The button code to manually turn the laser on/off is:
toggle-laser

There is currently no way to apply a laser offset, and then maintain it throughout a dry-run.  Not sure without taking a gander how difficult that would be to execute.  

In the meantime, one thing you could do is either dry run to the exact spot in question, press cycle stop, and then turn the laser on with the appropriate laser offset.  OR, just jog to the critical parts in the preview and do the same.

There are currently some bugs surrounding button code to grab the offsets from the prefs file (QTPLASMAC LASER_TOUCHOFF), however in the mean time you can still hard code them (-0.729 and -2.978 are my offsets so replace that with yours):
g91 \ g0 x-0.729 y-2.978 \ toggle-laser \ g90

I would name the above button LASER\ON

You will also want to make another button with just the toggle-laser button code and name it something like LASER to turn the laser off.  Otherwise every time you click LASER ON, it will move incrementally from the current position.  Additionally a button with just "toggle-laser" will visually reflect the current state of the laser (on or off).  

I will take a look at the bug(s) surrounding the {QTPLASMAC LASER_TOUCHOFF} and report back when it's ok to switch over to that.

I'll also try to carve some time to look at how difficult it would be to dry-run with the laser offset applied the entire time, don't get your hopes up yet lol. :)

More
16 Aug 2023 23:09 #278212 by beefy
Thanks Snowgoer,

I guess until such time as a dry run can be done with the laser offsets applied I should just install the lasers so the crosshair ends up directly under the torch.
That might be easy enough because the torch can be brough right up to to top limit while doing the dry run and so shouldn't interfere with the laser beams.
Will just have to install a simple bracket to get one of the laser beams out to the side.

More
16 Aug 2023 23:24 #278213 by snowgoer540
Also sounds reasonable.  So long as the laser doesn't move with the torch, should be accurate.

I had a few shower thoughts about the dry run with the laser offset.  Among them was the thought that each of the probes would be offset and might then probe off of the material.  I suppose a solution would be to probe at the normal torch spot, then apply the laser offset afterward. Or skip the probes altogether.  Would also likely need to expand on our current "bounds" checking.  

It's never cut and dry/simple... :)

More
17 Aug 2023 00:23 - 17 Aug 2023 01:42 #278216 by beefy
The way I make the bounds for one or more parts, is done in cad.

For a single part I just use the outside contour. For several parts I add joining lines between the parts, at locations I see fit. From all that I can easily create a single outside contour for all the parts. Just got to ensure I export from cad, and import into cam in the same relative positions.

I'd imagine a similar process would be pretty hard if not impossible, to automate within Qtplasmac, but I wouldn't complain if it was achieved LOL.

Phill asked me if there's any other external hal pins I'd find useful. One for toggling the laser would be great, so I could do it from my pendant. Do you know if there's any existing hal pin I could control to do that ?
Oh, hold on, according to the user manual it says "toggle-laser" can be used in gcode. Does that mean I could use an MDI_COMMAND in the hal file like this:
MDI_COMMAND = toggle-laser          ??????
If so that's a way I can turn it on from my pendant.

UPDATE:
Well, tried that and it didn't work. Said it didn't recognise the command or somethng like that.
I know there's the external Qtplasmac hal pin    qtplasmac.ext_laser_touchoff     but that's specifically for touching off XY so I'm a bit scared to use that. I just want a way to turn the laser on.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2023 01:42 by beefy.

More
17 Aug 2023 10:00 #278246 by snowgoer540
I added qtplasmac.ext_laser_toggle this morning.

As soon as the buildbot does it's botty thing, you should be able to use it.  :)

More
17 Aug 2023 10:18 #278249 by beefy

I added qtplasmac.ext_laser_toggle this morning.

As soon as the buildbot does it's botty thing, you should be able to use it.  :)

Oh Snowgoer, you're an absolute legend, thanks for that.

I've been wracking my brain thinking of how I can use and OR gate and feed the Qtplasmac laser output into it, plus my own hal pin to the other OR input, and I control that one with a m-code controlled by an MDI_COMMAND that I control from my pendant and ..................................voila, you've made an external hal pin.

I've never been looking forward to a botty thing as much as now LOL.

More
17 Aug 2023 11:47 #278257 by snowgoer540

I've never been looking forward to a botty thing as much as now LOL.

Haha happy to help; hopefully it doesn’t take too long!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Aug 2023 01:11 #278511 by beefy
Snowgoer,

I used your gcode example and put it in a subroutine that I call from a button on my pendant. Works fantastic, so for my outer profile dry run I can simply turn the laser on, and use the crosshair as though it was the torch itself.
After that I just press my button "Torch to Crosshair" and it moves the torch over to where the crosshair was.

However, I'm having a problem getting the new external hal pin:
ext_laser_toggle
to turn on the laser.

In my postgui hal file I have:
net        plasmac:laser-on    =>    hm2_7i96.0.ssr.00.out-01
and:
net        LASER_ON-OFF            MyDemux6to64.0.out-44        =>        qtplasmac.ext_laser_toggle

When I use a GUI custom screen button with the code:
toggle-laser
then in Halshow plasmac:laser-on turns on, and the SSR output on the Mesa 7i96 turns on, so all good there.

However, when I use my pendant button to pulse qtplasmac.ext_laser_toggle I see it turn on in Halshow (have a 100 millisecond pulse duration) but plasmac:laser-on does not turn on at all.

Do I have anything configured wrong.

More
20 Aug 2023 01:48 #278513 by snowgoer540
One of the criteria for it to work is that the laser button has to be visible.  So, if you are not on the main tab, then it would not work.  

I did check it here on my machine (previously I had just checked on a virtual machine).  It does work.  If you are on the main tab and you cant get it to work via your pendant, try using halshow to toggle the ext_laser_toggle pin.  If that works, then there is something with your config.  

I suspect you werent on the main tab...

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds