Possible to manually use laser on a dry run ?

More
21 Aug 2023 11:05 - 21 Aug 2023 11:07 #278603 by snowgoer540

UPDATE:
Working good now Snowgoer.

You may call me Greg :)

Thanks again.
Can now turn the laser on/off from my pendant, woohoo

Glad to hear it; good work!
Last edit: 21 Aug 2023 11:07 by snowgoer540.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2023 09:58 #278767 by beefy
Hi Greg,

just a little update seeing as you asked about my subroutine before.
I figured out how to do it (I hope), and this is the new code:

o<torch-to-crosshair> sub
G91 (Change to incremental mode)
G0 X60 Y40 (Move torch by laser offset amounts)
G90 (Change back to absolute mode)
G10 L20 P0 X[#5420-60] Y[#5421-40] (now set the DROs back to what they were before the move)
o<torch-to-crosshair> endsub

So I turn on the laser, and simply treat it as though it was the torch.
I do the dry run to check the torch (crosshairs now) won't go anywhere I don't want.
Once OK press the button to run the sub, the torch moves to where the laser was, and then the XY DROs are set back to the position before the move.
Works great.
Thanks again for all your help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, snowgoer540

More
23 Aug 2023 10:12 #278771 by snowgoer540
Just to be clear (for me and anyone who finds this in the future) for your workflow it seems that you don't use the laser touch off routine at all? It looks to me like you're aligning the laser dot on your material, zeroing on X and Y, and then doing your dry run. After which, you press the button to call your subroutine, which moves the torch to where the laser was, and then zero's X and Y?

Clever; that seems like a good approach! Thanks for sharing.

I think my only comment would be that it prevents using the laser button to align to a crooked sheet. For my work flow, I generally make the sheet square to the table (which is square to the gantry), because I rarely cut anything that's heavy, and my table isn't big enough for full sheets. So for me it's rare that I use the edge alignment feature of the laser button, and the subroutine would work nicely.

I may take a look at doing a dry run with laser offset applied in the future, especially because I would like to better understand the plasmac component, but for now this seems to be a nice workflow.

More
23 Aug 2023 10:34 #278774 by beefy
I wouldn't say I don't use the laser touch off routine at all, I just haven't played with that yet.
I'm also a bit lost of the "edge alignment feature of the laser button", must be something I've missed in the manual.

The subroutine doesn't necessarily zero the XY co-ords after the the peripheral offset correct move, it just puts them back to whatever they were before the move, so the torch ends up where the laser was but with the same co-ords.
So at the end of the dry run move the XY position could be anywhere for instance, and I could run the sub then.

Could be useful if I have a situation where I know a location on a partially cut sheet is X489.3 Y278.6 (a pierce point for example). So I jog the crosshairs to that location, set the work co-ords to those values, and do the dry run, then run the sub after.

Hope that made sense.

More
23 Aug 2023 11:13 #278777 by snowgoer540

I wouldn't say I don't use the laser touch off routine at all, I just haven't played with that yet.
I'm also a bit lost of the "edge alignment feature of the laser button", must be something I've missed in the manual.

Take a peek at "To set the origin with rotation" in this section: linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/qtplasmac.html#plasma:laser

The subroutine doesn't necessarily zero the XY co-ords after the the peripheral offset correct move, it just puts them back to whatever they were before the move, so the torch ends up where the laser was but with the same co-ords.
So at the end of the dry run move the XY position could be anywhere for instance, and I could run the sub then.

Could be useful if I have a situation where I know a location on a partially cut sheet is X489.3 Y278.6 (a pierce point for example). So I jog the crosshairs to that location, set the work co-ords to those values, and do the dry run, then run the sub after.

Hope that made sense.

I think so, I will try to find time to play with this at the machine in the next few days.

More
23 Aug 2023 18:22 #278815 by beefy

Take a peek at "To set the origin with rotation" in this section: linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/qtplasmac.html#plasma:laser

Greg,

I'm actually really happy you mentioned that one. I've seen that one in the manual but was left thinking what does it mean with rotation.
So if I've got this right it seems very similar to Sheetcam's "align" feature, which is used if the sheet is laid diagonally on the table.
However, with Sheetcam you have to check 2 points on the sheet on the table then go back to Sheetcam to enter those points so it can rotate the drawing.

Looks like Qtplasmac can do the same thing right at the table. I just keep getting Xmas presents, so a big thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Once I physically install my lasers that is the next thing I'll try out.

Keith

More
24 Aug 2023 00:26 - 24 Aug 2023 00:27 #278832 by snowgoer540

Greg,

I'm actually really happy you mentioned that one. I've seen that one in the manual but was left thinking what does it mean with rotation.

Thanks for this feedback, I added a line in the docs to clear this up. Sometimes it's hard to write docs assuming someone knows nothing about the features when you're already familiar with them... You are right; it was ambiguous.

So if I've got this right it seems very similar to Sheetcam's "align" feature, which is used if the sheet is laid diagonally on the table.
However, with Sheetcam you have to check 2 points on the sheet on the table then go back to Sheetcam to enter those points so it can rotate the drawing.

I didnt know sheetcam could do this, but it does sound like a bit of a PITA. Good to know anyways.

Looks like Qtplasmac can do the same thing right at the table. I just keep getting Xmas presents, so a big thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Once I physically install my lasers that is the next thing I'll try out.

Keith

Enjoy! I didnt get to the table tonight to play with your subroutine. Maybe tomorrow...[/quote]
Last edit: 24 Aug 2023 00:27 by snowgoer540. Reason: stupid editor is a stupid POS

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds