QtPlasmac Offset probing optimization

More
16 Oct 2023 17:04 #283131 by Deveraux
Hi, 
my build is running nicely. I set up QtPlasmac with offset probing and a pneumatic probe which fires down and also has airflow through the pneumatic probe which pretty much eliminates the problems i had with water on my material offsetting the ohmic probe. 
Now since my setup is running nicely im all into optimizing cut speed which brings me to my question. The X ans Y offset of the pneumatic probe is quite large (Like 5cm from the Cutting head) now since i usually have many centerpunches and pierce movements in my work offset probing takes quite a chunk of the cut time since it moves to the offset position very slowly... I optimized the Z axis movement/Position already but the X/Y movement to and from the Probe Position is very slow which brings me to a Probe time of approx 8 seconds which is a lot if i have a file where i have to centerpunch like 200 holes. 
I cannot find the setting for the offset probe movement speed can someone please point me in the right direction (which parameter/speed setting in the ini file defines this movement?) i checked the documentation but i cant seem to find anything. I know i can move much faster since all x and y motors have planetary gearboxes installed which did wonders to my max accel and velocity i hope someone knows how to speed up the offset probing motion... like 26 minutes of probing in a file which cuts in like 40 minutes literally drives me insane. I saw some guys probing at very high speeds here my machine crawls like a snail in comparison please enlighten me.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2023 17:54 #283135 by snowgoer540
I do know it’s a function of setup speed. What is your setup speed set to?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deveraux

More
17 Oct 2023 01:01 #283148 by phillc54
As Greg said, the X/Y offset probe move is calculated from the Setup Speed. We haven't had any feedback on this function and I wasn't sure anyone was even using it.

If using Setup Speed does not offer enough flexibility then we could add an additional parameter to allow the setting of the offset probing X/Y moves separately.

More
17 Oct 2023 05:41 #283159 by rodw
Should be rapid speed

More
17 Oct 2023 11:39 - 17 Oct 2023 11:50 #283169 by Deveraux
So first of all the offset probing feature is a great feature it allowed me to fix my issues with water on the material i was really glad to have it.
But it is definitly no rapid movement as i am running around 6000mm/min on rapid. I have to say i kind of hacked together the ohmic probing feature with a seperate power source high speed relay and another optocoupler before the input to the mesa board ( iknow it has optically insulated inputs but i was kind of afraid of grilling them with hf emi from my machine so insulated all of my inputs with another layer of optocouplers since they are really cheap components compared to the price of the fgpa during chip crysis i paid an ungodly amount of money for the thing here in germany at the time.
The feature is straightforward to use and i would love to have seperate parameters for the setting. 
I will look into my setup speed settings and i will report back if i can fix the issue.

As always thanks for the quick response and the knowledge you share as i am just a student with no prior experience in CNC machining and the forum and the extensive documentation really helps a lot learning this topic. I really like this topic and i look forward to build myself a milling machine next mabye somtime ill be competent enough to give some knowledge back to the community here and help others with their problems.

Last edit: 17 Oct 2023 11:50 by Deveraux.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, snowgoer540

More
17 Oct 2023 12:17 #283170 by snowgoer540

Should be rapid speed

Negative, small eoffset moves at rapid speed will beat the table apart; they are really violent. That's why the cut recovery movements are not done at rapid speed. I understand these movements are larger than cut recovery movements, but the same thoughts apply.

If setup speed doesnt translate correctly to the XY probe movements, it should probably be a separate, user configurable value.

More
17 Oct 2023 13:03 - 17 Oct 2023 13:08 #283175 by Deveraux
Ok so i just checked. Offset movement roughly equals the setup speed a bit slower i think. I will try to optimize the probe height/movement some more and create another mount for my probe to move it another few cm closer to the head this should cut down the probing time by a few seconds. 
Also ill probably ramp up my setup speeds which i havent done since i installed the planetary gearboxes. 

Would it be a lot of work to put in a seperate offset probing moving speed parameter?
I would love to have that.
The offset probing greatly enhanced my cutting experience i never had a wrong firing probe after installing the pneumatic probe. Water and molten material used to stick to my probe that was mounted to the cut head and i constantly had to stop the machine from firing way to high above the metal. 

Regards
Last edit: 17 Oct 2023 13:08 by Deveraux.

More
17 Oct 2023 13:41 #283179 by snowgoer540

Would it be a lot of work to put in a seperate offset probing moving speed parameter?

Shouldn’t be a huge deal. I’m sure Phill or myself will find time in the next few to make it happen. He’ll probably beat me to it as he has at least 40 more hours in a week than I do. :)

More
19 Oct 2023 02:34 #283266 by phillc54
Master branch now has adjustable X/Y axes velocity for offset probing. The additional parameter in the probing frame is labelled Offset Speed and will only display if valid probe offsets appear in the preferences file. The maximum velocity is limited to the lesser of the X available velocity, the Y available velocity,  and the ini file [TRAJ]MAXIMUM_LINEAR_VELOCITY parameter. The default is 80% of the maximum.
Warning: Spoiler!

Attachments:

More
21 Oct 2023 04:24 #283417 by grijalvap
can you share some phothos of your pneumatic probe set up?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds