Sheetcam to linuxcnc plasmac gcode fails to load with touch probe.ngc

More
13 Sep 2021 01:37 - 14 Sep 2021 03:05 #220388 by metalarcworks
Alright sheetcam and linuxcnc Plasmac users I need some help! I finally got my home built plasma table running and cutting example gcode. And now I have paid for sheetcam and installed it. I have spent two days infact trying to get the post processor setup and working with linuxcnc but I have had nothing but issues and brick walls to bang my head on.  My system is linuxcnc 2.8.2 with plasmac on a very capable laptop, controller is a mesa 7i96 with thcad300, setup and functioning with floating z probe. My main issue is getting a post processor in sheetcam to work correctly by adding the touch probe before piercing each time but each processor that I have used and also edited will not produce a gcode file that linuxcnc can load without an errors like nested comments, missing g0, random lines need attention each time. I have added the folder for subroutines and added the touchoff.ngc. Has anyone with the same setup had luck getting this to work correctly? I have been on the linuxcnc forum digging for answers but all of those solutions failed for me. I uploaded an example gcode of what sheetcam produces along with the pp file and touhoff.ngc. this is from the post processor i got from john thornton posts/website. RodW post processor produces a gcode file that loads fine but ididnt see any touchoff references. correct me if i am wrong there.if you have the same setup with working pp could you help by sharing the file for me to compare TIA.
edit, solution was just use the PlasmaC post processor, which by the way is not currently available with sheetcam-linux distribution, so the best thing to do was install sheetcam on a windows computer to retrieve the PlasmaC v0.2 post processor and transfer it to your Linux computer. I removed the files I attached since there was no value leaving them posted possibly misleading someone. 
Last edit: 14 Sep 2021 03:05 by metalarcworks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2021 04:54 #220393 by phillc54
There is a plasmac postprocessor that comes bundled with sheetcam, AFAIK most guys are using that.

PlasmaC controls probing, it is not required in the gcode file.

The following user(s) said Thank You: metalarcworks

More
13 Sep 2021 13:45 #220440 by snowgoer540
I think there are two post processors with "plasmac" in the name in sheetcam.  I am not in front of my home PC, but I believe the one you want is called something like "plasmac v0.2".

I mentioned to Les that it should probably be called QtPlasmaC at this point to save confusion, but it appears that suggestion didn't make it to mainstream.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalarcworks

More
13 Sep 2021 18:34 #220483 by metalarcworks
I had a talk with rodw about using the plasmac pp but it isn't listed in sheetcam for Linux. Maybe that's why all my confusion started. So I installed sheetcam on my windows computer found the plasmac pp (only one I saw) and copied to my Linux computer. Seems to load and post process fine. Is there any issues anyone could think of because I done it this way?
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
13 Sep 2021 21:41 #220512 by tommylight
If it works, it works !
Do some test cuts of various shapes on scrap material, see if anything strange happens.
If at all possible, we would like video of whatever strange happens ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
14 Sep 2021 02:42 #220543 by metalarcworks
Update:
Thanks to those that helped out. I was able to load Plasmac v0.2 pp into sheetcam. Imported a dxf and generated gcode. Machine cut it out really good considering my challenges. Plenty of settings to tweak now so I will probably be found in the shop with a do-not-disturb sign for a while. Soon as I get some videos/pics of my setup I will share.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, rodw, snowgoer540

More
15 Sep 2021 10:11 #220687 by rodw
Glad you are up and running.
I'm not sure if it describes you or not but I have seen a couple of times now that plasma experience on other platforms is not nescearilly a good thing because Plasmac is so different...

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.786 seconds