SolidWorks for makers, post processor for LinuxCNC?

More
26 Aug 2022 16:22 #250529 by ikkuh
I am trying to use nc shop floor, the cam software that comes with SolidWorks for makers. But what postprocessor should I use?
The shop floor program is difficult enough, it's totally illogical, and now I am not sure what output to use.
Can anybody help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2022 03:54 #250555 by rodw
one of my mates has a license to Fusion 360 for the cam part.

More
27 Aug 2022 04:51 #250560 by ikkuh
???
I use the excelent Path workbench in FreeCAD now to make stuff. I design in SolidWorks and export a step file. The step file I use in FC to make code for LinuxCNC.

More
27 Aug 2022 17:50 #250588 by gene_weber
@ikkuh, I'm new to CNC, in the process of setting up my first mill. I also draw parts in SolidWorks (3DEXPERIENCE for Makers). I'm trying to figure out the cleanest low $$ path to get from the part drawing to GCODE to run the mill.

I have used FreeCAD in the past. I have zero experience with LinuxCNC. So you import an STL into FreeCAD and use Path Workbench. What do you output from Path Workbench? I have my mill, but have not selected controller, SW, or steppers/servos yet. I'm trying to understand the flow better before I spend $$.

Thanks for any insights.

More
27 Aug 2022 19:14 #250592 by tommylight
Ikkuh mentioned STEP files, not STL, and the Path workbench outputs gcode ready for use with cnc machines, in this case for use with LinuxCNC.
I used lately FreeCAD to design a new cnc engraver, after a bit of getting used to i really like it, but i use it for exporting STL and 3D printing the parts.
Did not have a chance to check Path workbench yet, mostly becouse i have to build a mill first.
Assembly3 workbench works nicely. :)

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds