Installation error

More
25 Apr 2020 18:22 #165557 by auto-mation-assist
I have been following the installation file for a run in place install:
kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/dev_install.html

And reaching the below steps:
cp -r ~/probe_basic/probe_basic/fonts/ ~/.local/share/
cp -r ~/probe_basic/config/xyzab/ ~/linuxcnc/configs/

The last copy fails due to no such file as below:
cp: cannot stat '/home/cnc/probe_basic/config/xyzab/': No such file or directory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2020 18:29 #165558 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Installation error
Not my forte, but it looks that you can ignore that part, it is for a configuration using 5 axis, maybe the rest is copied, or this was the first one being copied and failed, in which case it copied nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2020 07:20 - 26 Apr 2020 07:25 #165628 by strahlensauger
Replied by strahlensauger on topic Installation error
When I start
editvcp probe_basic
I get the following errors
[qtpyvcp-designer.widgets.dialogs][ERROR] The requested dialog 'open_file' was not found. (__init__.py:21)
[qtpyvcp-designer.widgets.dialogs][ERROR] The requested dialog 'open_file' was not found. (__init__.py:21)
[qtpyvcp-designer.widgets.dialogs][ERROR] The requested dialog 'open_file' was not found. (__init__.py:21)
but the editor starts. So I ignored them.
When I start probe_basic with linuxcnc I get a bunch of errors, listed below.
If I open issue I get 414 Request-URI Too Large, but this is a standard buster installation following
exactly the instructions. Ignoring runs into the report file I attached.
I really like the design of the probe_screen and would like to run it on my mill.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Apr 2020 07:25 by strahlensauger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2020 16:57 - 26 Apr 2020 17:12 #165675 by auto-mation-assist

auto-mation-assist wrote: I have been following the installation file for a run in place install:
kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/dev_install.html

And reaching the below steps:
cp -r ~/probe_basic/probe_basic/fonts/ ~/.local/share/
cp -r ~/probe_basic/config/xyzab/ ~/linuxcnc/configs/

The last copy fails due to no such file as below:
cp: cannot stat '/home/cnc/probe_basic/config/xyzab/': No such file or directory



In continuing with the installation I ran into a additional problem. I do not like or use Debian since it is a lot less user friendly than Linux Mint.

I'm using my older development computer as described below for the qtpyvcp install. (My newer development computer uses Linux Mint 19.3 with a v5 rt kernel).

Run in place configuration.
Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Linux cnc1 4.14.93-rt53 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Linuxcnc by itself runs fine. (Using latest Dev version - not 2.8)

I'm not understanding how all items in the three folders listed below generate a working system and merge with or into linuxcnc. A explanation would be very helpful to iron out installation related problems.

/home/cnc/linuxcnc
/home/cnc/qtpyvcp
/home/cnc/probe_basic

In following part of the installation command procedure that would apply to a run in place configuration the error "No module named linuxcnc" has brought me to a stop.

The command that brought me to this error is "editvcp probe_basic" and printout of the result is below.

cnc@cnc1:~/probe_basic$ editvcp probe_basic
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/cnc/.local/bin/editvcp", line 11, in <module>
load_entry_point('qtpyvcp', 'console_scripts', 'editvcp')()
File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 489, in load_entry_point
return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2852, in load_entry_point
return ep.load()
File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2443, in load
return self.resolve()
File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2449, in resolve
module = __import__(self.module_name, fromlist=, level=0)
File "/home/cnc/qtpyvcp/qtpyvcp/tools/editvcp.py", line 34, in <module>
import linuxcnc
ImportError: No module named linuxcnc
cnc@cnc1:~/probe_basic$
Last edit: 26 Apr 2020 17:12 by auto-mation-assist. Reason: Added: (Using latest Dev version - not 2.8

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2020 19:45 - 26 Apr 2020 19:49 #165686 by auto-mation-assist
I thought that there was a possibility that I was missing some files and that thus the ability to edit was not being allowed due to the reported missing linuxcnc module. Unfortunately it did not give much additional information as to what was actually missing.

I decided to do the following since there are some differences between my Linux Mint 19.1 install and the assumed stretch 2.8 install.

sudo add-apt-repository "deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ stretch 2.8-rtpreempt"
sudo apt update
Opened Synaptic Package Manager
Searched for: linuxcnc
Installed: linuxcnc-uspace, linuxcnc-uspace-dbgssym, linuxcnc-uspace-dev

Then went back to the probe_basic folder
cd probe_basic
Opened terminal and sent command: editvcp probe_basic
Many messages now being displayed as it was configuring with the below as the very last few lines:

Starting QtDesigner ...

Resetting rcs_errors_printed because a new NML channel is being created.
[qtpyvcp-designer.widgets.dialogs][ERROR] The requested dialog 'open_file' was not found. (__init__.py:21)
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
[qtpyvcp-designer.widgets.dialogs][ERROR] The requested dialog 'open_file' was not found. (__init__.py:21)
[qtpyvcp-designer.widgets.dialogs][ERROR] The requested dialog 'open_file' was not found. (__init__.py:21)

Thus it shows progress with only the open_file widget error being shown along with iCCP warning which I'm not familiar with.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2020 19:49 by auto-mation-assist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2020 20:57 - 26 Apr 2020 20:57 #165700 by KCJ
Replied by KCJ on topic Installation error

strahlensauger wrote:
When I start editvcp probe_basic I get the following errors
[qtpyvcp-designer.widgets.dialogs][ERROR] The requested dialog 'open_file' was not found. (__init__.py:21)
[qtpyvcp-designer.widgets.dialogs][ERROR] The requested dialog 'open_file' was not found. (__init__.py:21)
[qtpyvcp-designer.widgets.dialogs][ERROR] The requested dialog 'open_file' was not found. (__init__.py:21)
but the editor starts. So I ignored them.

It is safe to ignore those errors, I will look into fixing them, but it is not very high up on the list of priorities.

strahlensauger wrote:
When I start probe_basic with linuxcnc I get a bunch of errors, listed below.
If I open issue I get 414 Request-URI Too Large, but this is a standard buster installation following
exactly the instructions. Ignoring runs into the report file I attached.
I really like the design of the probe_screen and would like to run it on my mill.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.


If you look at the very end of the error log it will usually tell you what the problem is, in this case you are missing the QtWebKitWidgets.
Install with
sudo apt install python-pyqt5.qtwebkit

I will ask Lcvette to add this to the list of dependencies for ProbeBasic, it is need for the new Fusion360 setup sheet viewer.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2020 20:57 by KCJ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: strahlensauger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2020 21:23 - 27 Apr 2020 09:56 #165702 by strahlensauger
Replied by strahlensauger on topic Installation error
That was exactly what was missing.
Thanks a lot, I never would have looked at the end of the error log.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2020 09:56 by strahlensauger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2020 21:29 #165703 by KCJ
Replied by KCJ on topic Installation error
Excellent!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2020 21:33 #165705 by KCJ
Replied by KCJ on topic Installation error

auto-mation-assist wrote:
I'm using my older development computer as described below for the qtpyvcp install. (My newer development computer uses Linux Mint 19.3 with a v5 rt kernel).

Run in place configuration.
Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Linux cnc1 4.14.93-rt53 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Linuxcnc by itself runs fine. (Using latest Dev version - not 2.8)

This is exactly the same development system I am using.

auto-mation-assist wrote: I'm not understanding how all items in the three folders listed below generate a working system and merge with or into linuxcnc. A explanation would be very helpful to iron out installation related problems.

/home/cnc/linuxcnc
/home/cnc/qtpyvcp
/home/cnc/probe_basic

A QtPyVCP VCP is a completely separate application from linuxcnc, as are most LinuxCNC GUIs. When you launch linuxcnc it runs the program specified in the [DISPLAY]DISPLAY section of the INI. You could put just about any command in there and LinuxCNC would run it. If you put firefox in as the DISPLAY option, linuxcnc will launch it, it just does not make a very useful machine control interface.

In the same way you can launch firefox from the command line without linuxcnc, you can also launch axis, gmoccapy, qtpyvcp, probe_basc etc. (try it!) My point is, they are not merged, and they don't need to be to make a working system. We are accustomed to thinking the interface is part of LinuxCNC, but they are really separate applications that happen to communicate with linuxcnc. The fact there are so many different yet predominately stand alone GUIs included in the main linuxcnc code base just makes things even more confusing and difficult to deal with.

Both qtpyvcp and probe_basic are python packages, and are installed as such. Probe Basic imports from qtpyvcp, but when you specify the DISPLAY as probe_basic in your INI is it running as a separate application.

auto-mation-assist wrote: In following part of the installation command procedure that would apply to a run in place configuration the error "No module named linuxcnc" has brought me to a stop.

The command that brought me to this error is "editvcp probe_basic" and printout of the result is below.

cnc@cnc1:~/probe_basic$ editvcp probe_basic
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/cnc/.local/bin/editvcp", line 11, in <module>
load_entry_point('qtpyvcp', 'console_scripts', 'editvcp')()
File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 489, in load_entry_point
return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2852, in load_entry_point
return ep.load()
File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2443, in load
return self.resolve()
File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2449, in resolve
module = __import__(self.module_name, fromlist=, level=0)
File "/home/cnc/qtpyvcp/qtpyvcp/tools/editvcp.py", line 34, in <module>
import linuxcnc
ImportError: No module named linuxcnc
cnc@cnc1:~/probe_basic$

You are using a RIP install of linuxcnc, meaning that no linuxcnc modules, including the python interface, are exposed unless you set up the RIP environment. Since things like the channel list in QtDesigner are generating by inspecting linuxcnc, you will not be able to edit a VCP without having access to linuxcnc.

Cheers,
Kurt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2020 22:13 #165708 by KCJ
Replied by KCJ on topic Installation error

auto-mation-assist wrote: I thought that there was a possibility that I was missing some files and that thus the ability to edit was not being allowed due to the reported missing linuxcnc module. Unfortunately it did not give much additional information as to what was actually missing.

I decided to do the following since there are some differences between my Linux Mint 19.1 install and the assumed stretch 2.8 install.

sudo add-apt-repository "deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ stretch 2.8-rtpreempt"
sudo apt update
Opened Synaptic Package Manager
Searched for: linuxcnc
Installed: linuxcnc-uspace, linuxcnc-uspace-dbgssym, linuxcnc-uspace-dev

Then went back to the probe_basic folder
cd probe_basic
Opened terminal and sent command: editvcp probe_basic
Many messages now being displayed as it was configuring with the below as the very last few lines:

Starting QtDesigner ...

Resetting rcs_errors_printed because a new NML channel is being created.
[qtpyvcp-designer.widgets.dialogs][ERROR] The requested dialog 'open_file' was not found. (__init__.py:21)
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
[qtpyvcp-designer.widgets.dialogs][ERROR] The requested dialog 'open_file' was not found. (__init__.py:21)
[qtpyvcp-designer.widgets.dialogs][ERROR] The requested dialog 'open_file' was not found. (__init__.py:21)

Thus it shows progress with only the open_file widget error being shown along with iCCP warning which I'm not familiar with.


The reason this worked was you now have a system wide install of linuxcnc, which is fine. It may make things easier since you don't need to worry about setting up the RIP environment.

The iCCP warning is about PNG files with a bad format, I think they are the images Lcvette generated using the rendering engine in solidworks, which apparently does not produce a compliant PNGs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum