Installation error

More
26 Apr 2020 23:40 #165721 by auto-mation-assist
It looks like this only changed my linuxcnc v2.9 into v2.8 so this did not really help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2020 23:42 #165722 by KCJ
Replied by KCJ on topic Installation error
set up the linuxcnc rip environment and try running editvcp mini and see what happens.

More
27 Apr 2020 00:08 - 27 Apr 2020 00:09 #165727 by auto-mation-assist
My prior change to linuxcnc v2.8 did allow me to edit the ui file and it looked nice in edit mode. While trying to run it in linuxcnc it gave no module named probe_basic_rc.

I wanted to do a clean re-install so I removed linuxcnc 2.9, qtpyvcp and probe_basic. Once I complete re-installing those I will try your suggestion.

I don't know what process generates the probe_basic_rc file but it could not be found anywhere on the system.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2020 00:09 by auto-mation-assist.

More
27 Apr 2020 00:29 - 27 Apr 2020 00:32 #165729 by KCJ
You will need to compile the probe_basic.qrc file located in the resource dir into the probe_basic_rc.py file. Its best done with the included qcompile tool. You can run it on the entire probe_basic directory.
qcompile probe_basic

The use of qrc files is no longer required, but Lcvette has not updated ProbeBasic to use icons and images directly.

The BlueContol VCP has some good examples of how to use relative paths to images in the UI and QSS files, and also examples of SASS based QStyle sheets.
github.com/KurtJacobson/blue-control/
Last edit: 27 Apr 2020 00:32 by KCJ.

More
27 Apr 2020 01:08 #165731 by auto-mation-assist
After my re-install was completed I ran editvcp mini. It gives me "no module named linuxcnc". I'm confused by this because I have read a number of post that indicated that linuxcnc v2.9 could be used. Using editvcp basic_probe gives the same result.

I wonder which file only looks for the linuxcnc version ? To satisfy my curiosity I will do a word search to see if I can find the process later today.

When attempting to run in linxcnc with "probe_basic" in the vcp selection popup it gives "no module probe_basic_rc" while trying to run "mini" it complains about no pin and other errors and stops. Mini thus does not seem to care much about linuxcnc version number.

More
27 Apr 2020 01:18 #165733 by KCJ
Can you launch linuxcnc from the terminal you are trying to run editvcp from? My guess is you will get "command not found". Make sure you have the RIP environment set up correctly, or have linuxcnc installed system wide.

As I mentioned above, you need to run qcompile for probe_basic.

QtPyVCP does not check the linuxcnc version per se, but it does check what is available and will quit if the current linuxcnc version is missing features like multi-spindle support.

You can look at utilities/opt_parser.py for the main checks performed when starting the application.

editvcp does check for specific linuxcnc versions, and will give detailed error messages if the linuxcnc version is not within the acceptable range.

If you post some of the errors you are getting I can probably help a lot better.

Cheers,
Kurt

More
27 Apr 2020 02:13 #165739 by auto-mation-assist
Ok - here are the results. I have seen this error before and fixed it but now forgot the details.

cnc@cnc1:~/probe_basic$ qcompile probe_basic
Compiling .ui files in package 'probe_basic':
probe_basic_vertical.ui => probe_basic_vertical_ui.py ... ok
probe_basic.ui => probe_basic_ui.py ... ok
about.ui => about_ui.py ... ok

Compiling .qrc files in package 'probe_basic':
probe_basic.qrc => probe_basic_rc.py ... Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 174, in _run_module_as_main
"__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code
exec code in run_globals
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyQt5/pyrcc_main.py", line 23, in <module>
from .pyrcc import *
RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v12.0 to v12.3 but the PyQt5.pyrcc module requires API v12.6

More
27 Apr 2020 02:34 #165741 by auto-mation-assist
Ref to:
Can you launch linuxcnc from the terminal you are trying to run editvcp from? My guess is you will get "command not found".

You are correct it will not run. But I have set up the run in place like I have for years, but always just start it from the linuxcnc directory.

More
27 Apr 2020 06:14 #165756 by auto-mation-assist
I'm now to the point that I can run from the basic_probe folder, execute linuxcnc and select and run the basic_probe ui.

To get things going I added these back in for now:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ stretch 2.8-rtpreempt"
Opened Synaptic Package Manager
Searched for: linuxcnc
Installed: linuxcnc-uspace, linuxcnc-uspace-dbgssym, linuxcnc-uspace-dev

Ran the below three commands to try to fix my sip and probe_basic compile problem .

sudo apt-get purge python3-sip
sudo apt-get install python3-sip
sudo apt-get install pyqt5-dev-tools python3-pyqt5

Ran the qcompile in the probe_basic folder and the results as below.

cnc@cnc1:~/probe_basic$ qcompile probe_basic
Compiling .ui files in package 'probe_basic':
probe_basic_vertical.ui => probe_basic_vertical_ui.py ... ok
probe_basic.ui => probe_basic_ui.py ... ok
about.ui => about_ui.py ... ok

Compiling .qrc files in package 'probe_basic':
probe_basic.qrc => probe_basic_rc.py ... ok
cnc@cnc1:~/probe_basic$

Ran the command: linuxcnc in the probe_basic folder

cnc@cnc1:~/probe_basic$ linuxcnc
LINUXCNC - 2.8.0-pre1-5814-gb3fa2975f

When the " Welcome to LinuxCnc" popup appears I can select the probe_basic vcp and run it.

Thus the configuration with the three files from stretch 2.8-rtpreempt could be what links everything together but likely not the prior sip and compile probe_basic issue I had.

Tomorrow I will work on not using the three files from stretch 2.8-rtpreempt and see if linuxcnc v2.9 can replaces them somehow in the right locations and become functional with 2.9.

More
27 Apr 2020 17:44 - 27 Apr 2020 17:48 #165847 by auto-mation-assist
I have basic_probe working on LinuxCNC version 2.9, latest dev version in rip configuration.

I did find that it is not possible to enter proper editing mode from just typing "'linuxcnc" in the basic_probe folder. It will not autolink to the linuxcnc version 2.9 rip folder to allow the proper editing mode. Proper meaning where all the hal and other specific items such as style become available in the designer. Autolink to linuxcnc from inside the basic_probe folder does work when I was testing using the LinuxCNC version 2.8 files as in my prior posts.

So after looking at internals of the editvcp it became clear that a two step process was going to be required to get into edit mode for now.

From a terminal inside the basic_probe folder - two commands for me - change as needed:
$ . /home/cnc/linuxcnc/scripts/rip-environment
$ editvcp probe_basic

I have attached a file that shows all the steps I took, error messages and conclusions.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Apr 2020 17:48 by auto-mation-assist.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.453 seconds