Probe Basic - jog slider & status

More
21 Jan 2023 17:01 #262592 by Lcvette
Yes, in machine_actions.py, there is also an exposed hal file, it appears the jog slider hal will need to be exposed to connect in the ui externally. Maybe @turboss or @joco or @hazzy can have a look. I stayed tinkering with it this morning, but have some pressing work to get out and won't be able to tinker with it until next weekend if I'm lucky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2023 17:03 #262593 by spumco

can you show how you have your other overrides connected? im looking into it but would help to see what you have setup.

Just in case you still want this.  All overrides are connected through halui.

FRO & SRO are controlled from two sources:
  • +10%/-10%/Reset physical buttons
  • MPG encoder w/selector switch
  • LED's that flash when override is not at 100%
Warning: Spoiler!

Rapid
  • three physical buttons & mux: 5%/20%/Reset
  • LEDs that indicated which value is active

JRO is controlled only from MPG encoder & selector

And what I don't have - and would like - is an on-screen indicator showing the jog speed value.

NOTE - blink.comp is a user-created hal component I found published in the forum from years ago.  Dead useful and really cuts down on verbosity when trying to get someting to turn off/on at intervals. It's so easy to use it probably should be added to the LCNC mainline components.

More
21 Jan 2023 21:51 #262612 by Lcvette
I had a thought, so i tried this solution out...  i moved the linear job slider to the settings page with the new angular jog slider, i then added a hal slider on the main page and connected it to both the angular and linear jog slider.  now the two sliders on the settings page work independently but can be globally adjusted from the main page halslider.  the hal slider can be connected as it is now defined with a pin name.  this should give you what you are looking for.  the caveat is i have no hardware to test it with.  and upon startup, without a hal signal being sent to it, it defaults to the properties base setting of 50% which is what i set it at.  you can also add a status label for it if you would like.  I am not going to publish this to the main PB branch as it requires an external override to function and remain synchronized. but it is a fairly easy edit to make on your own.  i laid it out like this:

Attachments:

More
21 Jan 2023 22:17 #262615 by Lcvette
i pushed what you see above to a test branch if you would like to pull and try it, the branch is named:  jog_slide_testing

Attachments:

More
22 Jan 2023 00:33 #262622 by spumco
so switch like the following?

cd /something/probe_basic
git checkout jog_slide_testing
git pull

Would that do it?  I've got no modifications on my local installation to save.

More
22 Jan 2023 03:35 #262628 by Lcvette
Been so long since I did it that way I forget, but that sounds about right, or you can install gitkraken, it's super easy for keeping up with things and checking out and editing things safely

More
22 Jan 2023 19:13 #262673 by spumco
git pull then git checkout... worked to get the test branch.

I can see the global jog-speed pin now, but the float is an OUT pin so I can't connect anything to it.  I can watch it change value in halshow when I move the slider, but it doesn't respond to external inputs.

I know you're busy with stuff, no rush.  Thanks for having a quick go at it.

-R

More
23 Jan 2023 03:33 #262701 by Lcvette
ok.... so.... @Turboss and I were brainstorming this and realized there is not a python interface for that function currently in linuxcnc. there is for spindle, feedrate and rapidrate overrides, but not for jog speed. Those being existing already within the python module are why those overrides just work and the jog does not. Because those are included we can connect them in the settings and status widgets and include them in rules for functionality both in the ui and physical world. This may be one of those requests you would need to make to the linuxcnc devs to include that in their python module code to be used on the ui side.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/config/python-interface.html

More
23 Jan 2023 05:34 #262716 by spumco
Well, that explains it. I'll seee if I can figure out how to put a request in on github.

Thanks to you and Turboss for looking in to it.

-R
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

More
23 Jan 2023 21:30 #262773 by Lcvette
yeah, bummer, hopefully they can add it in at some point, then we can use rules and existing widgets to connect to those signals!

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.637 seconds