o codes and grbl

More
09 Mar 2018 13:17 #107147 by agarthetiger
I've got a Sienci Mill One which runs grbl on an Arduino Uno. I know grbl only supports a sub-set of g-codes and am wondering if LinuxCNC would do any post-processing of o codes such that I could write 'g-code' using O codes and have a .ngc output file generated which would be valid grbl?

I'm starting to write g-code by hand to learn what's going on with my mill, and am hoping there is some way to write concise g-code (using subroutines etc) which will still convert to valid grbl. Will LinuxCNC (or any software) be able to do this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2018 10:17 #107210 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic o codes and grbl
LinuxCNC does exactly the same job as GRBL. So it won't be able to help.
LinuxCNC is a consumer of G-code, not a producer of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: agarthetiger

More
30 Jan 2019 23:56 #125353 by roycegb
Replied by roycegb on topic o codes and grbl
I have the same question. I have loads of standard routines that I wrote in LinuxCNC GCode. I would like to utilize these on my GRBL machine. They include named variables and flow control codes, particularly o sub and o while. I would like to find a preprocessor that would convert this compact, CNCLinux GCode to the expanded code fo the GRBL subset.

I do most of my designs directly in GCode using these routines. I find the overall code very compact and readable.

More
31 Jan 2019 10:27 #125380 by andypugh
sai (The stand alone interpreter) might be part of the answer.

I am not at a LinuxCNC machine at the moment. Does the command "sai" do anything?

More
31 Jan 2019 17:37 #125416 by roycegb
Replied by roycegb on topic o codes and grbl
SAI, good idea, but the output didn't look very useful. Further, it seemed to ignored literal parameters, o while and o sub. I didn't get any syntax errors when I processed the test files so it accepted everything just didn't make it to the output file.

Thanks

More
31 Jan 2019 18:09 #125419 by andypugh
I was thinking that the output could either be converted my simple find-and-replace or the file itself could be modified to output simple G codes.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds