Linuxcnc and Profibus

More
19 Dec 2022 09:38 #259881 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Linuxcnc and Profibus

Is it possible to connect more slave on this stuff or have anybody any working example of that please?

In the example configuration in the zipped folder the file 'pyprofibus.conf' contains a single configuration for 'SLAVE_0'.  I presume one could configure more (ie SLAVE_1 ....) but I have not tried that.
Note that this is a python implementation and as such is running in 'userspace' (ie non real time) which is fine for a lot of signals. If one would want to use linuxcnc with profibus for time critical applications then a profibus stack in C (or C++ I guess) would have to be written and a real time capable hardware serial port as mentioned above.
The following user(s) said Thank You: foxington

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2022 09:45 #259882 by Aciera
Writing a profibus driver for linuxcnc is way beyond my capabilities but the python source code for the profibus stack can be found in the 'pyprofibus' folder in the zipped up config or on the authors github page linked in the original post.

More
19 Dec 2022 11:06 #259883 by blauerklappstuhl
Yes, you can use multiple slaves. I have currently a wago 750 and a festo cp coupler with one valve Island and one input module and one output module running. Setting usb latency to 0 speeded up eveything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera, foxington

More
19 Dec 2022 13:04 #259887 by foxington
Replied by foxington on topic Linuxcnc and Profibus
profibus or anybus and realtime are pain at all... for real time we have done ethercat with DC

I think in many applications it should be great like pneumatic terminal, some decentralized sensor boxes etc... there it is posibility to run siemens PLC over native comunication protocol.. what should be cool 

should you share most important stuff from your working configuration please? 

More
19 Dec 2022 14:36 #259890 by Aciera
My config is here:

forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configura...fibus?start=0#223639

for real time we have done ethercat with DC

What does 'with DC' mean?
The following user(s) said Thank You: foxington

More
19 Dec 2022 14:38 #259891 by Aciera

I think in many applications it should be great like pneumatic terminal, some decentralized sensor boxes etc.

I totally agree, that was my motivation to try it out. That and the fact that these profibus devices go for relatively cheap on the second hand market.

More
19 Dec 2022 16:07 #259892 by foxington
Yes there I saw, profibus stuff are pretty cheap in the comparasion with ethercat stuff. "ethercat with DC" means that communication protocol with ethercat format has feature called Distributed Clock or DC which gives a master piece of system knows which are delays on each slave which should be controlled. It is counting with each delay value for retain real time on each slave. It is most advanced opensource protocol from my point of view. ethercat is something like backbone or construction which can carry any other known protocol as CANopen (ethercat in format CANopen over Ethercat, ethernet over ethercat, sercos over ethercat,....etc) 

lets check this - forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat - there is plenty of stuff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera

More
19 Dec 2022 17:06 #259893 by Aciera
Thanks, I have not had the opportunity to do anything with ethercat but I do believe that getting ethercat into linuxCNC was an important step forward.

More
19 Dec 2022 17:40 #259895 by foxington
I am recomending to start with them. I am working as automation engenier for a years but I can not see better stuff that not based on ethercat. but there is some trouble with supply on ethercat components nowdays. prices are crazy high and delivery terms equals infinities.. 

but I rocommending for beginning to buy Delta ASDA ethercat stuff which is areadly implemented in the linuxcnc ethercat... there is plenty of documentation and guys with working hardware.. delta are great but you have to use only their hardware and only TTL encoder for secondary feedback...

do no go my way, to configure older stuff... you will spend tons of time in the german manuals and mailing with supports which do not know about your stuff anything...

Then I can recommend this guys "acim.nidec.com/drives/control-techniques...tax-hd-m753-ethercat"... there is great documentation and fully configurable driver to non brand motors for complex purposes.. 

​​​​​​​if you have any other questions you are welcome

More
19 Dec 2022 17:53 #259896 by foxington
this guy is really great.. my ethercat idol 

He did .iso of working debian with all stuff preinstalled ... this is the easiest way to get lcec 

github.com/grotius-cnc/linux_rtos
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds