× Forum Header

Need help setting up parallel port on new build

More
18 Aug 2021 23:51 - 19 Aug 2021 00:01 #218098 by CNCApples
Hi everyone,

let me preface this by saying that I am very new to LinuxCNC and Linux as a whole.

Onto the issue..

I cannot get the motors to move on my desk when using stepconf and actually dont know what is causing the issue and have hit a dead on how to fix this.
I try to move the x axis and a different axis makes noise and moves the smallest amount (1 step?).

06:00.0 Parallel controller: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Dual Parallel port A (rev 03) (prog-if 01 [BiDir])
    Subsystem: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Dual Parallel port A
    Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
    Region 0: I/O ports at d010
    Kernel driver in use: parport_pc

06:00.1 Parallel controller: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Dual Parallel port B (rev 03) (prog-if 01 [BiDir])
    Subsystem: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Dual Parallel port B
    Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
    Region 0: I/O ports at d000

This is what comes up in the terminal for the parallel ports.
I have a duel port parallel card, I only need one port for the machine but this one was on sale and one of the few I was able to get shipped to New Zealand in a reasonable amount of time.
Do I have to set specific input and output pins or will LinuxCNC know which is which?

Any help is appreciated

this is what comes up when I type lspci -vv into the terminal.

Last edit: 19 Aug 2021 00:01 by CNCApples. Reason: removed unnecesary fluff, added in details

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2021 00:53 #218102 by tommylight
Not much info to go on, but from what you explain seems like the step and dir pins are reversed.
Also, in the "address" entry in StepConf you can try entering
Region 0: I/O ports at d010
so that would be 0xd010
or
=8Region 0: I/O ports at d000
that would be 0xd000

More
19 Aug 2021 01:25 #218104 by CNCApples
Thank you for replying, 
I have tried reversing the cables on pins 2 and 3 so that PUL- is on pin 3 and ENA- is on pin 2 and still get the same clicking noise out of the z axis motor regardless of which axis I'm testing.

The BOB is a cheap one I found on AliExpress 

m.aliexpress.com/item/32969585672.html?s...70050f88b4ab5&is_c=N I have also attached some photos to show my wiring, unfortunately it's a bit of a rat's nest as I'm trying to test it on my desk before I put in a proper enclosure. 

That is just one of the driver's but there are 6 in total (2x for X axis as you can see 2 red and 2 brown wires coming out of pins 2/3)
​​​
What other information would be helpful in trying to sort out this issue?

Attachments:

More
19 Aug 2021 01:30 - 19 Aug 2021 01:33 #218105 by CNCApples
Additional info

PUL+
DIR+
ENA+ are all looped together and running to the second to last PC5V pin,

ENA- is connected to pin 14

All motors have these cables looped together (all 5 axis)
they all run to one busbar and then all come into the PC5V pin as well as pin 14.
The cables going to the PC5V and pin 14 are separate from each other but together for all drivers.  I think I made it sound like they are all looped together
Last edit: 19 Aug 2021 01:33 by CNCApples.

More
19 Aug 2021 04:21 #218108 by phillc54
You do need to have a USB cable plugged in to provide 5V for the logic on the board.

More
19 Aug 2021 04:26 #218109 by CNCApples
Hi Phill,
Sorry the photo didn't show it but I have a power supply for the BOB only and tried both with and without USB 5v power supply and still no luck.

More
19 Aug 2021 04:43 - 19 Aug 2021 04:45 #218110 by phillc54
You do need both.

Can you draw a wiring diagram of what you have

Edit: most of those drives have a inverted enable, so you could try with ENA disconnected.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2021 04:45 by phillc54.

More
19 Aug 2021 04:45 #218111 by CNCApples
I will do a full wiring diagram tonight and post it.
Thank you!

More
19 Aug 2021 07:32 #218119 by tommylight
Do not wire the enable signal, those drives are enabled by default and use the "enable" signal to actually disable them.
After getting them to work you can wire and configure the enable signal.

More
19 Aug 2021 07:53 #218121 by CNCApples
Is that ENA+ or ENA- or both? 

I have attached some photos of the wiring diagram, wired as I had it before. I have taken it apart and only wired 1 motor and I couldn't even get that going. Motor is on pins 2 (PUL-) and 3 (DIR-).

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds