D510MO

More
18 Aug 2011 06:09 #12571 by schmidtmotorworks
Replied by schmidtmotorworks on topic Re:D510MO
Tried to install Ubuntu this weekend on a D510MO, lost the whole weekend with zero progress.

Trying to use a usb pen drive. Got the closest with the PenDrineLinux.org app to create the image.

Tried 10.04 and 11.04 same problem:

ata1: hard resetting link
ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
ata1: SRST failed (ERROR = -16)

The board seems to be running very slow. It takes a very long time to respond to F2 when in configuration mode and also very long to try to boot up when not in configuration mode.

The pen drive does boot my old HP desktop, no problem

I found a lot of posts on the web about similar issues but no solutions.

Not sure what to do next.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2011 10:16 #12575 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:D510MO
See the answer in your duplicate posting on this forum

www.linuxcnc.org/component/option,com_ku.../lang,english/#12572

Based upon what I quickly read I would look very hard at what HDD you have put into this system, how it is jumpered etc.
If it is an old drive from another system, try another newer drive, the SATA controller may not be compatible with some drives, especially older WD according to some reports.

John and the others using this board can advise you what HDDs they are using successfully.

regards

More
18 Aug 2011 13:33 #12579 by schmidtmotorworks
Thanks for the help,

I tried to do two things, run it off the pen drive or install it on a SATA 32 GB drive, same result in both cases.

hmm, I might be confused, can I clarify? The board calls the pen drive a HDD and the SATA 32GB solid state drive a hard drive too. Did you mean the pen drive, or the SATA drive when you were concerned about the HDD?

I didn't think it is a problem related to the SATA 32GB HHD issue because I have the same problem with the SATA HDD disconnected. I'm really lost on this though.

More
18 Aug 2011 15:11 #12588 by TarHeelTom
Replied by TarHeelTom on topic Re:D510MO
I had a computer which would boot on the CD and on the pen drive, but wouldn't complete the install.

Finally noticed that the pen drive had some diagnostic software on it. Ran some of this, and discovered that I had a bad memory stick.

Removing the bad memory stick let it do the install without any problems.

Not saying that you have the same problem, but if your pen drive will boot, then try running the diagnostic software. It MIGHT find the problem for you.

Tom

More
18 Aug 2011 17:01 #12598 by schmidtmotorworks
Thanks everone for the help, I'm so excited about getting to the EMC2 configuration part of this that I am not really myself today after spending so much time on something I thought I would finish before breakfast, I'm all shorted out and need to replace some fuses and charge my mental battery.:S

So I picked up a SATA CD drive on the way to work this morning, and will try to install it when I get home (I hope this works, I just can't stand the sight of a pen drive right now).

More
18 Aug 2011 17:48 #12600 by TarHeelTom
Replied by TarHeelTom on topic Re:D510MO
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

So I picked up a SATA CD drive on the way to work this morning, and will try to install it when I get home (I hope this works, I just can't stand the sight of a pen drive right now).

That's one of my main complaints with this board. I've got a stack of serviceable hard drives and CD drives and DVD drives, but none of them are SATA. Had to go buy a new hard drive and CD drive just for this box.

Guess you guys are just going to have to DRAG me, kicking and screaming, into more modern technology.

Tom

More
19 Aug 2011 05:01 #12608 by schmidtmotorworks
Well one step forward another step back,,,with the SATA CD drive I can get to the install page but a new problem arrived.

The first time I started with the config jumper on, the boot page F7 boot page could find both the HDD and the CD drive.

OK turn off, move jumper, turn on go through install steps and it doesn't show the HDD.

OK turn off, jumper to config, turn on, F7, now it doesn't see the HDD.

Disconnect the HDD reconnect, turn on, now it finds it again.

After about 20 repetitions of this in various sequences it seems that I can't get both/ either of the drives to boot reliably.

I'm out of ideas, maybe I got e lemon, maybe there are a lot of these boards that are lemons, a google search shows lots of problems.

I guess I will try t return it, try one more time, if it doesn't work, try another type of board.

More
19 Aug 2011 09:48 #12611 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:D510MO
There is a config jumper? I never touched that. I assumed that it was for a BIOS reset or something.

As I recall, I assembled the board with a 8GB SATA DOM flash drive plugged into a SATA port, memory, PicoPSU and turned it on, and it booted to splash and couldn't find an OS.
So I then made a bootable USB stick from the EMC2 LiveCD, using the built-in utility in Ubuntu.
That wouldn't boot, so I booted into the BOIS and turned on USB booting, and put it in the right place in the boot sequence. This might have taken a couple of iterations.
Then it booted from the USB stick, I chose the "Install EMC2" option, and that was it.

Does yours actually boot from the CD?

If you do boot from the CD, do any of the Admin tools see the HDD and let you format/partition/mount/whatever it?

More
19 Aug 2011 09:59 #12612 by 1:1
Replied by 1:1 on topic Re:D510MO
hmmm,

my install was so easy I have no recollection of how I did it ...

Same board and a 32GB Wintec Solid State Drive.

Pendrivelinux sounds familiar

maybe my info is no help to you :unsure:

More
19 Aug 2011 13:00 #12616 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:D510MO
Mine was pretty much the same, plug in a hard drive and a CD drive a couple of sticks of memory put the LiveCD in the CD drive boot up then install.

John

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds