Atom 330 or D525 or D510?

More
08 Jun 2012 19:05 #20759 by gera229
First of all before I get into hardware I would like to ask, what is max interval in the latency tests?
I know the lower the jitter number the better. What about for interval, is it also better the lower the number?

Now to the hardware part, I found a used Intel Atom 330 board with 1gb ram for really cheap and I have a feeling that it performs alike with the D510 and the onboard video.
Although the onboard video is slightly different for both, they seem to perform the same.
So in this case, I would get the Atom 330, but correct me if I am wrong.

And the D525 seems to be just like the D510, but performs a little worse with EMC2.

On a side note, if I do get the Atom 330, what PSU and case should I get? How many watts would be stable enough to run EMC2?
Is it good to dual boot windows and EMC2?

Are SSD hard drives to any advantage when it comes to EMC2?

And for keyboard and mouse, should I get PS/2 or USB?
Thanks.
The topic has been locked.
More
08 Jun 2012 21:01 #20771 by andypugh
gera229 wrote:

Now to the hardware part, I found a used Intel Atom 330 board with 1gb ram for really cheap and I have a feeling that it performs alike with the D510 and the onboard video.
Although the onboard video is slightly different for both, they seem to perform the same.
So in this case, I would get the Atom 330, but correct me if I am wrong.

How cheap? Cheap enough to not care if it doesn't work?

On a side note, if I do get the Atom 330, what PSU and case should I get? How many watts would be stable enough to run EMC2?
Is it good to dual boot windows and EMC2?

60W is plenty with an SSD.

Are SSD hard drives to any advantage when it comes to EMC2?

Less power, no moving parts to get damaged by dust or vibration. 8GB is plenty for a LinuxCNC installation, but might be a bit tight if you want to dual-boot Windows.

And for keyboard and mouse, should I get PS/2 or USB?
Thanks.

USB.
More
08 Jun 2012 21:05 - 08 Jun 2012 21:10 #20773 by gera229
Well it was on ebay, and I got outbid. Auction won for $50 plus shipping. Not too cheap, and I do not think that was that great of a deal, but maybe it was and I kinda still wish I won it because it was with 1GB ram. Correct me if I am wrong.

I asked the PS/2 vs USB question because maybe PS/2 would perform better latency-wise than USB because I heard problems with USB, but I guess not.

Also what is max interval in the latency test?
Is a bigger value better or is a smaller value better for max interval?

I know for max jitter a smaller value is better.

Now I am stuck, I want a hardware setup for under $175 with Ram, HDD or SSD, case and PSU included.
8GB of and SSD? Is that enough to run projects for cutting?

For your reference I will be using a HobbyCNC Pro 3/4 axis driver board.

Thanks.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2012 21:10 by gera229.
More
08 Jun 2012 21:31 #20775 by andypugh
gera229 wrote:

Well it was on ebay, and I got outbid. Auction won for $50 plus shipping. Not too cheap

New price of a D525 is about $70, but that is without memory, drive and PSU.

Also what is max interval in the latency test?
Is a bigger value better or is a smaller value better for max interval?

I think it is just thread-period + latency. So it only really depends on what thread period you have set.

Now I am stuck, I want a hardware setup for under $175 with Ram, HDD or SSD, case and PSU included.
8GB of and SSD? Is that enough to run projects for cutting?

8GB is plenty. I _develop_ LinuxCNC on an 8GB SSD. The base installation is user 4GB.
Do you need a case? My board sits in the same box as the stepper drives. Treat it as a component, not a PC.

If you already have a 12V supply (or can derive one from the stepper PSU) then look at
www.mini-box.com/Intel-DN2800MT-Mini-ITX-Motherboard
That has a 9-19V power jack, so saves the cost of a PSU.
Cheap 8GB SSD, as used by me for the last year or more with no problems
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150593568661
(that's ebay.co.uk but as it ships direct from Hong Kong, that shouldn't matter)
Then 2GB ram is $10.
More
08 Jun 2012 21:55 #20776 by gera229
So I guess that was an okay deal on ebay? It was like $60 shipped. I wish I did bid higher. Only reason I'm concerned is because that board has a super good latency and I did not get it, still thinking about it.

Onboard PSU? Nice, but you sure that would give the entire system enough power if I add drives?

That SSD you linked is a Chinese made SSD. Those are really reliable?

I mean I can get a 32gb SSD for $50 on newegg.

Can you post a picture of your case please?

Thanks.
More
08 Jun 2012 22:26 #20777 by andypugh
gera229 wrote:

Onboard PSU? Nice, but you sure that would give the entire system enough power if I add drives?

One would have to assume so. It came with a power cable to plug into SATA drives.

That SSD you linked is a Chinese made SSD. Those are really reliable?
I mean I can get a 32gb SSD for $50 on newegg.

My sample of one has been. But at that price the Newegg one is compelling. Though you don't _need_ 32GB. The DOM form-factor (just plug it in to the SATA slot) is convenient too.

Can you post a picture of your case please?

picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OT4lV-DVGZ...pFm0?feat=directlink
The PSUs and D510MO are actually mounted on the back of a touchscreen monitor.
More
08 Jun 2012 22:50 #20778 by gera229
That is one giant case you got there.
More
08 Jun 2012 23:33 #20779 by andypugh
gera229 wrote:

That is one giant case you got there.

Yes, made from 20x20 extrusion.
Front view: picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/N7Z88ai8cR...pFm0?feat=directlink
More
09 Jun 2012 01:01 #20780 by gera229
Nice is that a monitor?
Looks like it's all built into the case.

How much did you spend to build that case?
More
09 Jun 2012 01:13 #20782 by andypugh
gera229 wrote:

Nice is that a monitor?
How much did you spend to build that case?

Yes, it's a 17" touchscreen.

I think the screen was £120, the motherboard £80, £25 for the PicoPSU, £30 for the 12V PSU, £15 for the 5V/24V PSU, £25 for the 20x20 section, buttons £2 each from eBay, £120 for the Mesa 5i23, £10 for the riser.
Relays etc I have lost track, £20 for the contactor, £10 for the SSR that went in yesterday, £25 for the Arduino, £20 for the custom-made resolver interface PCBs, £20 for the terminal blocks, $250 for the 7i64, $120 for the 7i39...

There is probably £1000+ of parts there, but I spent it slowly, and a lot of it is parts I had from other projects.

I am building a rather serious machine, (I have 1.5kw of servo drives, plus the spindle) you wouldn't need to spend anything like that much.
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds