Atom 330 or D525 or D510?

More
25 Jun 2012 23:38 #21327 by gera229
It worked pretty good with WPA2 network encryption and hidden network. Thanks.
Is it necessary to install video drivers on Linux as well as many others too?

I want to ask anyone using an Intel atom board, did you install your board drivers on Linux?
Just wondering because maybe with video drivers latency will perform better?
The topic has been locked.
More
25 Jun 2012 23:42 #21328 by andypugh
gera229 wrote:

I want to ask anyone using an Intel atom board, did you install your board drivers on Linux?
Just wondering because maybe with video drivers latency will perform better?

No, because I have no SATA CD drive :-)
More
26 Jun 2012 00:43 #21330 by gera229
Good because now I can save myself some hassle and forget about installing the motherboard drivers on Linux if it works just fine without them.
I mean you didn't do it either and have good results, so I guess I do not need them either.

Even wired internet worked without the wired internet or LAN motherboard drivers, wireless drivers are the only ones that I needed.
Now I do not need to use wired internet, wireless is easier to use and more portable.

So now I am all set if motherboard drivers are not necessary to install.

Now it's time to install some free toolpath and drafting software on Linux.
More
01 Jul 2012 08:06 #21471 by gera229
One more thing, do I need to set my D525MW parallel port to EPP mode? Or is it already set?
How?
More
03 Jul 2012 02:08 - 03 Jul 2012 02:20 #21506 by gera229
Anything guys?

Also what is the right software for me to use to convert accurate toolpaths as well as how do I tell the software which side of the line to offset my cuts to compensate for the bit diameter?
For example: If I have a .25" size milling bit and want to cut on the outside, I would move it out of the line by 0.125". But if I want to cut a circle, I would want to move it inside of the line by .125". But please guide me how this is done (is it done in the G-code generated where the g-code would be generated in a way that it is offset already or is it done in LinuxCNC itself after the g-code is already generated but does not have the tool offset built in)?

Aside from my previous posts:
I feel kind of guilty that I bought the unipolar hobbycnc board instead of a bipolar setup (which would cost just a bit more) because now I feel like I wouldn't be putting my 8-wire motors from hobbycnc to full potential.
I started to feel this way after learning of a Parallel setup which would win a unipolar set up in every way, if the max speed is the same.

Also I do not know why anyone would use a Series over Parallel with 8 wire motors.

Is a Half-Coil (unipolar) max speed the same as a Parallel (bipolar) setup or faster?
A Half-Coil setup torque is about 70% of a Parallel, not sure if that's too much of a difference, but it does not seem like it.

I have 305 in-oz steppers that would have otherwise been about 425 in-oz.

If there is any reason not to feel this way, let me know and list me any advantage I may have by using a unipolar setup.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2012 02:20 by gera229.
More
03 Jul 2012 08:03 - 03 Jul 2012 08:07 #21516 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Atom 330 or D525 or D510?

But please guide me how this is done (is it done in the G-code generated where the g-code would be generated in a way that it is offset already or is it done in LinuxCNC itself after the g-code is already generated but does not have the tool offset built in)?

Take a look at G41 G42 linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/gcode.html#sec:G41-G42
Often it is taken care of when the g code is generated, but if you are starting with a cad program and you know the size tool you will use you can apply your offsets there.

There may be gains in speed or torque when selecting parallel or series connections but you may also want to factor in the available power supply's voltage and amps to get the best combination.

But you may be getting a little off topic and want to post your questions as new posts in their categories to get the best possible results.

Rick G
Last edit: 03 Jul 2012 08:07 by Rick G.
More
03 Jul 2012 08:45 - 03 Jul 2012 08:48 #21517 by gera229
While it is generated in the G-Code, how do we tell it how to generate it? Like how do we tell it which side of the line to cut on?

Also I do not understand the plane part in the link you posted. While the plane part is not about offsets, I am still curious to know.
XY, XZ, and YZ planes? It says you would get an error if the YZ plane is active. Why? I do not get that part and why others would work .

I just looked at the title all over again and definitely agree with you about posting a new thread with the proper title in the proper section.

Next time I come up with a question like that I will do as you said.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2012 08:48 by gera229.
More
03 Jul 2012 10:24 #21519 by andypugh
gera229 wrote:

One more thing, do I need to set my D525MW parallel port to EPP mode?

Only if you are using a Mesa 7i43, a Pico PPMC or (for rather random reasons) A gecko G540. The latter needs EPP because the charge-pump circuit is badly designed and some parports can source more current in EPP mode.
More
03 Jul 2012 22:04 #21530 by gera229
What if I just do it anyway. Can I go wrong? Should I just do it?
Is it complex to do it?

I have a hobbycnc.com Pro chopper unipolar board.
More
03 Jul 2012 22:11 #21531 by andypugh
gera229 wrote:

What if I just do it anyway. Can I go wrong? Should I just do it?
Is it complex to do it?

It is probably a BIOS setting. You might as well allow it in the BIOS, but it is something specific drivers enable as and when required.
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds