Atom 330 or D525 or D510?

More
04 Jul 2012 09:57 #21550 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Atom 330 or D525 or D510?

While it is generated in the G-Code, how do we tell it how to generate it? Like how do we tell it which side of the line to cut on?

That is the thing Linuxcnc has no clue what side of the line you want it to cut, as an example your circle.
G41 G2
and
G41 G3
will give different results, one cutting on the inside of the circle the other on the outside.
This would be taken care of in your CAD CAM package before it got to Linuxcnc.
If you are writing the code yourself you would set it to the correct offset in your code.

Rick G
The topic has been locked.
More
04 Jul 2012 11:54 #21555 by BigJohnT
gera229 wrote:

While it is generated in the G-Code, how do we tell it how to generate it? Like how do we tell it which side of the line to cut on?

Also I do not understand the plane part in the link you posted. While the plane part is not about offsets, I am still curious to know.
XY, XZ, and YZ planes? It says you would get an error if the YZ plane is active. Why? I do not get that part and why others would work .

I just looked at the title all over again and definitely agree with you about posting a new thread with the proper title in the proper section.

Next time I come up with a question like that I will do as you said.

You might want to read the short LinuxCNC G code tutorial I wrote here .

John
More
04 Jul 2012 12:42 #21559 by andypugh
BigJohnT wrote:

You might want to read the short LinuxCNC G code tutorial I wrote here .

Can I suggest that the tutorial could start even more basic?
"G-code is the programming language of CNC machines, it is called that because many of the the commands take the form of a letter G followed by a cryptic number. Each number does a different thing. Despite being called G-code, every letter of the alphabet is a command in G-code. A G-code program takes the form of a list of single-character commands and associated numbers which may be on separate lines or combined on the same line (called a "block")"
More
04 Jul 2012 13:36 #21560 by BigJohnT
Andy,

Thanks for the addition. I added it to the Start Here! section.

John
More
04 Jul 2012 21:40 #21585 by gera229
I know. I wrote G-Code from scratch before using basic commands, just never used the more sophisticated commands.
More
09 Jul 2012 19:50 #21728 by gera229
In the setup wizard of LinuxCNC, it asks for a maximum latency. What latency value do I put in there? And which one of the two?
Also can I just leave it blank? I mean what does the program need to know it for?
More
09 Jul 2012 20:01 #21730 by andypugh
gera229 wrote:

In the setup wizard of LinuxCNC, it asks for a maximum latency. What latency value do I put in there? And which one of the two?
Also can I just leave it blank? I mean what does the program need to know it for?

To answer in reverse order: Stepconf uses that number to choose an appropriate base-thread rate. So, I guess you should use the base-thread max jitter. Though to be safe I would choose the larger of the base-thread and servo-thread jitters.
More
09 Jul 2012 20:12 - 09 Jul 2012 20:12 #21732 by gera229
Okay, also regarding SMI, do I need to do anything with SMI (I don't know what to do with it, but will learn to do it if I need to)?
If I don't, would it be better to just do it anyway just in case?
Last edit: 09 Jul 2012 20:12 by gera229.
More
09 Jul 2012 20:52 #21734 by andypugh
gera229 wrote:

Okay, also regarding SMI, do I need to do anything with SMI (I don't know what to do with it, but will learn to do it if I need to)?
If I don't, would it be better to just do it anyway just in case?

No, it is best only to do it if absolutely necessary, as it can damage the motherboard. (Intel don't do SMI for fun, after all).

There is absolutely no reason to enable the SMI patch with an Atom board.
More
17 Jul 2012 09:07 - 17 Jul 2012 09:31 #22063 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Atom 330 or D525 or D510?
Hi gera229

Somehow your last post got orphaned into a separate thread with the same title

Re which sim to choose, need to read

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/ Getting Started section

I think this thread has run its course now

If you have specific questions, choose the most appropriate section heading and post it and we will be happy to answer them

regards
Last edit: 17 Jul 2012 09:31 by ArcEye.
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds