Atom 330 or D525 or D510?

More
17 Jun 2012 09:56 #21033 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Atom 330 or D525 or D510?
Hi

You can do everything with a SSD that you can do with a HDD, just quicker.

Dual boot means you can boot either, not both!

My advice, get one of these keyboards with built in tracker pad (just like a laptop)
www.dabs.com/products/keysonic-compact-u...kin-540D.html?src=15

To use a mouse you have to have a level flat surface to use it on, you can mount one of these anywhere you like.

The tracker works fine with the protective plastic left on, which makes it easier to clean.
Mine is at 45 deg angle under the controller head, which also houses a built in display.

Avoid wireless, motors etc cause interference, wired is much safer

regards
The topic has been locked.
More
17 Jun 2012 23:08 #21049 by gera229
Okay, I guess a 150MBps sata harddrive will be sufficient to run correctly.

With an SSD, it only starts up Linux and software faster, but the software itself does not perform any better on a SSD than on a hard disk drive correct?
Well I lost the bid on the SSD drive on ebay and now looking to get a hard disk drive again if the software itself performs the same (boot up of Linux and software is not a problem). :)

Does dual boot affect performance or no?

Keyboards with track pads are quite expensive, but I like your idea.

Also why do motors cause interference with a wireless keyboard and mouse setup? Motors do not produce wireless signals, so they should not interfere?

Thanks.
More
18 Jun 2012 19:42 #21064 by gera229
I decided to go with a hard disk drive and a regular keyboard and mouse due to budget purposes. Space for me is not really limited so I should be good.

Altogether with all of the hardware excluding the monitor the computer totaled me $168. Not too bad after all.

Now while I wait for the computer to arrive, I would like you guys to guide me on how I would need to setup Linux or EMC2. Or give me some documentation that may be necessary for me to read.

I have never been a fan of Linux and would say the most I ever used it was for a few minutes so I know almost nothing about Linux.

I want to be able to get started by the time my computer components come so right now I am trying to get ahead.
More
18 Jun 2012 20:51 #21065 by andypugh
gera229 wrote:

I want to be able to get started by the time my computer components come so right now I am trying to get ahead.

Download the LiveCD, burn it, and make sure it works.
Boot your "normal" PC from the LiveCD, but select the "Run From CD" option. (i.e., don't install it and wipe all your data / Windows)
You can then play around with LinuxCNC, trying out the sample configs and probably running the StepConf wizard to get a set of config files for your machine.
More
18 Jun 2012 20:58 #21067 by gera229
Will I need to make any changes in Linux and/ or my bios? Of course I will do this only on my Linux PC. Is it supposed to be done before or after install of Linux on the hard drive (LiveCD first of course)?

What are all the necessary things to do to get a good machine that will run EMC2 perfectly?

I've read a couple of things about modifying/adding things in some Linux file in order to solve a few problems. Will I need to do that?
Also about kernels, etc. I have no clue what that is. What is it for? Do I need to know/do anything with that?

I would really like to know everything necessary to do before I get started. I can play with the software once it is all set-up. Right now I would like to get a head start on setup.

Thanks.
More
18 Jun 2012 21:05 - 18 Jun 2012 21:06 #21068 by BigJohnT
To install LinuxCNC
  1. Download the LiveCD
  2. Check the md5sum
  3. Burn the iso to a CD Disk
  4. Put disk in CD Drive
  5. Turn Computer Off
  6. Turn Computer On
  7. Pick Install or Try
  8. Run the Latency Test for a few hours.

That's pretty much it... have you read the Quick Start Guide?

John
Last edit: 18 Jun 2012 21:06 by BigJohnT.
More
18 Jun 2012 22:11 #21069 by gera229
Really?
Do I need to isolate CPU core to use only 1 core and turn hyperthreading off, etc?
That's the bios stuff I'm talking about.

Nope haven't read it, can you link me to it?
More
18 Jun 2012 23:07 #21070 by BigJohnT
Ah yea that can help a tad see this thread:

linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/component...ew&catid=18&id=10389

The getting started manual is here:

linuxcnc.org/docview/html/

John
More
19 Jun 2012 01:12 - 19 Jun 2012 01:19 #21073 by gera229
Another question just came to mind;

What is a good latency for?
To avoid losing steps? Or to get a faster machine? Or something else?

Also what is HAL?
Last edit: 19 Jun 2012 01:19 by gera229.
More
19 Jun 2012 02:44 #21074 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Atom 330 or D525 or D510?
Latency in this context is uncertainty in timing of a thread. Its especially important for systems that use software step generation. since the step timing accuracy is determined
by the repeatbility of the base thread execution. A late step may cause a complete step motor stall. The other way of looking at it is that the maximum base thread latency should be less than about 1/2 of the maximum step rate (for 1/10 or so ustep drives) Looked at this way, latency determines the maximum (software) step rate.

HAL is the Hardware Abstraction Layer. basically the way LinuxCNC connects the control GUIs, hardware, components, and machine controller proper in a very flexible user editable way

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/HAL_User_Manual.pdf
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds