Please recommend PCI-E Parallel Port card

More
04 Apr 2019 18:20 #130304 by oddwick
is it possible to suppress the error message on startup? i know its only a click away, but...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2019 18:37 #130305 by andypugh

for the homing sequence (XYZ on a XYYZ gantry), x homes normally, and only y1 homes while y0 is stationary (you can see how that doesnt end well...).

Joints 1 and 2 should have JOME_SEQUENCE = -2
(negative numbered axes are homed as pairs)

More
04 Apr 2019 18:42 #130306 by andypugh

the error i get when i run linuxcnc:
Linux parallel port @57360 not found

This seems odd, as 57360 = 0xE010

But your HAL has "loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x1060 out""
Which is a completely different number.

The dmesg and lspci both say that 0xE010 should be right.

More
04 Apr 2019 21:28 #130312 by oddwick

the error i get when i run linuxcnc:
Linux parallel port @57360 not found

This seems odd, as 57360 = 0xE010

But your HAL has "loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x1060 out""
Which is a completely different number.

The dmesg and lspci both say that 0xE010 should be right.

thats my mistake! i zipped up the folder that i used to transfer my configs from old box to new. the new one is absolutely identical to that one, except for the change of address and i had to comment out the mplayer lines. felt like an idiot, couldnt figure out why it wouldnt start up forever until i realized i hadnt installed mplayer yet... its the stupid mistakes that drive you crazy

Joints 1 and 2 should have JOME_SEQUENCE = -2
(negative numbered axes are homed as pairs)

as soon as i get back to the shop i will give that a go. the odd thing is that it works as expected on the old box with identical configs. will that affect individual homing sequences?

File Attachment:

File Name: chibi_usag...4-04.hal
File Size:1 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: chibi_usaga.ini
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:

More
04 Apr 2019 21:41 #130313 by andypugh
Well, that ought to work and the error message is baffling if it is still saying "parallel port not found".

As for homing, you should check through the new docs:

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini-....html#_home_sequence

More
06 Apr 2019 05:19 #130383 by oddwick
ok, so i read the new docs on homing and made a few modifications to slave both y joints for homing and i STILL get the same result.

so, in the interests of eliminating possible variables, i ran the parallel port test on both cards this morning. Surprisingly, they both functioned perfectly! the only thing that i forgot to check before i bough them was their voltages and so it caught me a bit off guard to see that they were both 3v3, but my controller doesnt seem to mind. the only thing was with the pex card is that halrun gave me the error:
cnc@cnc:~/parport$ halrun -I -f ptest.hal
Waiting for component 'hal_parport' to become ready........Waited 3 seconds for
master. giving up.
Note: Using POSIX realtime
config string '0xe010 out'
Linux parallel prot @57360 not found

but despite that, it still functioned normally. do you think this is a driver issue? i dont know enough about drivers to even begin where to start diagnosing the problem if that is the case... how would i go about eliminating that as an issue?

as it sits right now, i have 2 cards, same machine, same config. one card (pex) cant be found, but works. the other card (startech) is better liked by the os, but doesnt properly under linux cnc. the current state of it, is when it homes, x homes like normal, y0 sits like a bump on a log, y1 homes and then i get a bunch of errors about how joint 1 is negative and cant jog. prior to that, if i try and jog, x is fine, y only y1 moves, and trying to move z ALSO moves y1! any suggestions?

More
07 Apr 2019 13:34 #130438 by andypugh
Can you try a quick, minimal, test?

Without LinuxCNC running, open a terminal window and type
halrun
loadrt hal_parport cfg="0xe010 out"
exit

And paste the output here.

More
27 Jun 2019 19:18 #138021 by Bari
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WCH
The kernel has been updated to support this chip and board configuration: This driver was added to the kernel for Dev. ID 3050, Date: Sat, 26 May 2018, Kernel 4.14 git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/...788f7d57b3b8d1a030ab

Debian also back ported this to earlier kernels since it is working with Kernel 4.9

www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DB25-25-pin-LPT-Por...Adapter/272174222785 $9.29 shipped, confirmed working with LCNC on newer kernels June 27, 2019

More
08 Sep 2020 20:50 #181319 by spicer
Does anyone know whether the PEX2PECP2 (StarTech 2 Port PCI Express Parallel Adapter Card) card runs with LinuxCNC?

More
08 Sep 2020 22:30 #181331 by andypugh
It's hard to recommend any parallel port card when for "only" 5x the cost you can have a 6i25 which is guaranteed to work and can step 100x faster.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds