LinuxCNC + Orange Pi (allwincnc)

More
10 Aug 2021 14:55 #217404 by taylorcmq
I understand, I was running the SD card test myself, I'm going to do a new installation in the orange PI PC memory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2021 20:43 #217421 by Dolence
Tested the Lima enabled Ubuntu image today. Disabling effects turns things much more snapier. Still having joint following errors. I don't know... It need to be something hardware related. Some guys are running on 512 MB H3 and I can't. I'm going mad.

More
10 Aug 2021 20:51 #217422 by Bari
512MB on the H3 runs slowly if you don't open a browser. 1GB or RAM is the minimum I'd use.

If you slow down the acceleration and max speed do you still get joint following errors?

More
16 Aug 2021 18:11 #217908 by Dolence
Yes, even with minimum speed/accel I'm getting errors.

More
17 Aug 2021 07:16 #217960 by envyvan

Yes, even with minimum speed/accel I'm getting errors.

Hi Dolence,

Would you mind to upload the config file,and let's see what happen?
And which system you are currently running?

More
18 Aug 2021 21:11 #218093 by Bari
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001823662622.html looks like the latest Opi board.

Uses Allwinner H616 linux-sunxi.org/H616 "Apparently it has no CPUS (ARISC management processor) anymore, also is missing the associated SRAM A2. "

SO AVOID THIS MODEL FOR LCNC!

More
16 Sep 2021 03:22 #220756 by 109jb
I am very very interested in this project and have scanned through all pages of this thread but I cannot determine if this project is at a state where it is usable. Can someone who may be more familiar with the project tell me if it is in usable state for a basic 3-axis stepper driven mill. Also is the allwincnc.github.io/index.html site up to date in terms of installation instructions?

Thank you in advance

More
16 Sep 2021 03:35 #220758 by Bari
It works, but you need to know how to build LCNC, preempt_rt kernels and u-boot properly for this to be stable. There were some versions on the original devs github that worked but he gave up on the project after he claimed that the Armbian devs made some changes frustrating his efforts to access the memory space for the integrated microcontroller. Not sure of all the dramatic details.

It just needs someone with enough time and skills to put together a turn-key image for those that need everything done for them vs being able to build from source without having their hand held.

More
16 Sep 2021 15:35 #220802 by 109jb
Thanks. Since I broke my leg last Saturday and needed something to do to occupy my time I ordered a Orange Pi One H3 that should arrive today to try this project . Kind of did it on a whim after only reading a few pages of this thread. Probably should have read further and would have seem that there were potential problems, but since I have a board coming and I have time on my hands I will give it a try. It has been many years but I was able to build from source way back when LinuxCNC was EMC2, but I haven't done anything like that since the precompiled images have been available. We'll see.

As a start, I see on the Armbian site there are Focal, Buster, and Bullseye versions. Would one or the other of these be preferred to minimize install issues?

More
16 Sep 2021 18:50 #220810 by 109jb
I guess I can test this as well, but figured someone probably knows off the bat.

My machine currently has a parallel port breakout board like this one www.amazon.com/DollaTek-Breakout-Optical...id=1631818031&sr=8-4

My intent is to retain the parallel port breakout board and construct a cable to interface the GPIO on the OPi to the PP BOB. So the question becomes: Will the 3.3v GPIO be able to work with this or will I need to build a hat with logic level converters to be able to use it?

Time to create page: 0.933 seconds