LinuxCNC + Orange Pi (allwincnc)

More
16 Sep 2021 19:48 - 16 Sep 2021 19:52 #220812 by wzor
The image is Armbian_21.02.3_Orangepione_buster_current_5.10.21_xfce_desktop.img.
Also look for your board here raw.githubusercontent.com/ChrisWag91/PI-...ics/F013_PI-LCNC.jpg , github.com/ChrisWag91/PI-LCNC/blob/maste..._PI-LCNC_Concept.png here in detail github.com/ChrisWag91/PI-LCNC
Last edit: 16 Sep 2021 19:52 by wzor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2021 19:56 #220813 by 109jb
Thanks. I downloaded that Armbian image a little while ago and will give it a try.

As for the board, I'll whip something up with what I have. Sounds like it is needed. I have a bunch of logic level shifters, perf board, and headers so should not be a problem.

More
17 Sep 2021 00:41 #220839 by Bari

Will the 3.3v GPIO be able to work with this or will I need to build a hat with logic level converters to be able to use it?

Depends on the optos and the series resistors used in front or behind them. Try it and measure.

More
17 Sep 2021 00:43 #220840 by Bari

Since I broke my leg last Saturday and needed something to do to occupy my time

Sorry to hear. Not fun. You might want to wait a few weeks before starting this. Save it for when you are really bored, run out of movies, TV to watch and books to read  :)

More
17 Sep 2021 01:07 #220841 by rollfree

I guess I can test this as well, but figured someone probably knows off the bat.

My machine currently has a parallel port breakout board like this one www.amazon.com/DollaTek-Breakout-Optical...id=1631818031&sr=8-4

My intent is to retain the parallel port breakout board and construct a cable to interface the GPIO on the OPi to the PP BOB. So the question becomes: Will the 3.3v GPIO be able to work with this or will I need to build a hat with logic level converters to be able to use it?

74HC (not 74HCT) circuits are usually used on these boards. These allow 2-6V power supply. So you can power the board from 3.3V instead of 5V.
The voltage levels on outputs will be probably enough for connected driver.
And on inputs will be 3.3V levels, so OPi will be happy.
Only for relay will be supply 3.3V probably too low.

More
17 Sep 2021 15:34 #220913 by 109jb
Thanks again.
In regard to the BOB, I've decided to make up a hat for level shifting. Reason is because the power input to that BOB is 12V currently and it uses a 5V on-board regulator to supply the 74HC chips, so I'd have to tap into the board to supply less voltage to those chips. Also it has an on-board PWM to analog 0-10V output for controlling a spindle. I think at some point i will hook that up to my VFD for spindle control. So, seems the easiest is to just do the level shifter hat since I already have everything to do that. Thanks for the info though.

The Orange Pi One board arrived yesterday and I had a heck of a time even getting the canned Armbian image installed. Turned out that my favorite USB carb reader for micro SDs crapped out. Took a couple hours of dorking around to figure that out. Once I got my other one all went well and Armbian buster is installed. Now I have to figure out how to get an internet connection to the OPi. My router is just too far away and I don't have a long enough ethernet cable so I'm thinking I can share the connection to my laptop using a USB to Ethernet adapter. I ordered the USB-Ethernet adapter and it should get here tomorrow so will try then. I am documenting my adventure and once I get everything situated I plan to make an image of the SD that can hopefully just be installed on a Orange Pi One board like mine for those who want a sort of plug and play solution.

Thanks again to all. I'll keep my progress updated

More
17 Sep 2021 17:14 #220925 by 109jb
Found out I am mistaken about my BOB and have questions. Didn't want to take this thread on a tangent, so posted my question in the thread I started here: forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/43570-con...-get?start=20#220924

More
17 Sep 2021 17:20 #220926 by Bari
Just about everyones config.ini file will be different as well as their .hal file.

U-boot and the kernel should just have the cpu core speed governor locked to ONE clock speed no matter what. Choose to not use a heat sink, too bad. And spend and extra dollar or two for a proper power supply.

More
17 Sep 2021 17:53 #220931 by 109jb
Thanks. I did install a heat sink. Fan will be installed soon too. Power supply right now is a 10A bench power supply set to 5.1V. A 5V 2.5A power supply with Orange Pi specific connector is on the way.

For the image, I understand that there will be changes required from my configuration, but I also think there may be many that would like to try this project but may be intimidated. I intend a basic starting point with detailed step by step instructions for editing the configuration files to achieve a basic machine setup. I figure I'm going to image it anyway for my own backup purposes and would make it available on my google drive for anyone interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bari, wzor

More
18 Sep 2021 17:45 #221031 by 109jb
So while waiting for stuff to come in I have been thinking more. One thing I have always wanted to do is to CNC my small 9x20 lathe. But if I CNC the lathe I would absolutely want to have a spindle encoder so that I could do spindle sync to do threading operations. Is there anything on the Orange Pi implementation of LinuxCNC that would prevent spindle synchronized motion for threading, either on a lathe, or maybe also on a mill for tapping?

Also, for the lathe, I would like to put a pair of hand wheel encoders on, one for manually controlling the X axis and one for the Z axis. This would enable using the lathe like a pseudo manual lathe as well as for CNC. Would this also be possible?

Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds