Script for automated testing of computer latency.

More
15 Jul 2022 21:39 #247415 by seuchato
Kilohertz
If you download the script in a live version, it should be able to run. It will install what >I thought< could be missing. If you go ahead and find something odd, kindly report reasonably detailed.
I should be able to get around my rough patch in a couple of months.
Greez
chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2022 09:55 #249189 by newbie
First of all thank for making easy latency test script.

I had used the script without problem several time before.
But from  a few week ago, the script can not play the vimeo video clip with browser's message "can't find video".
and the script termination.

How can i play other video clip during the script running?
Please help me.

More
06 Aug 2022 10:27 #249190 by tommylight
Open FireFox, play a video, resize it several times, leave it playing.

More
06 Aug 2022 13:23 #249196 by seuchato

First of all thank for making easy latency test script.

I had used the script without problem several time before.
But from  a few week ago, the script can not play the vimeo video clip with browser's message "can't find video".
and the script termination.

How can i play other video clip during the script running?
Please help me.

Hi, thanks for the flours :-)
I'll try to fix that this weekend. Can't promise though.
Greez
chris

More
21 Aug 2022 02:22 #250139 by Bari

Open FireFox, play a video, resize it several times, leave it playing.

Have we found anything that effects latency more than this combo?

More
21 Aug 2022 11:16 #250149 by tommylight
Yes, copying large files, compiling software, rendering, video editing...
In short anything that uses IRQ requests will trigger latency excursions, hence video is a good scenario for testing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
15 Nov 2022 22:24 #256810 by seuchato
here you asked for:

can you please add a way to find out the IP address and gateway address and ping the gateway say 50 or 100 times and report the times?
That would be helpful to point out some PC's having issues with new kernels and network cards causing loss of connection to controler boards.
So far Intel network cards are OK, some just need setting IRQ coalesing to 0, some work out of the box.
Realtek cards have something wrong in the kernel, and despite having good ping times tend to drop the link consistently.
Not sure how useful will that be due to above reasons, but maybe there is a pattern somewhere.

a) If this is not really relevant to latency, I might want to put it as an option in the initial menu. I might add a main menu item with label "Trouble shooting". It could be extended to look into other issues too. Would that be OK?
b) I am sure I can put the ping numbers settable with a default value of whatever you think is more reasonable.
Regarding IP address: the test candidate's or the gateways or both?
c) Is there a distinct kernel version where the problem started to occur?
d) Any other hardware than Realtek with same problem? I could test for this version/hardware and issue a warning pointing out to the very problem.
e) Guess this is for servo thread only?

besides:

f) copying large files,
g) compiling software,
h) rendering,
i) video editing...[Iquote]

f) is in the workshop, no ETA but the author is sweating :-)
g) to i) users would require to install quite a bunch of packages way off making chips to do this. Therefore, I would prefer not to implement that, unless there is good reason to it all the same.

Comments welcome
greez
chris

More
16 Nov 2022 00:01 #256816 by tommylight

a) If this is not really relevant to latency, I might want to put it as an option in the initial menu. I might add a main menu item with label "Trouble shooting". It could be extended to look into other issues too. Would that be OK?
b) I am sure I can put the ping numbers settable with a default value of whatever you think is more reasonable.
Regarding IP address: the test candidate's or the gateways or both?
c) Is there a distinct kernel version where the problem started to occur?
d) Any other hardware than Realtek with same problem? I could test for this version/hardware and issue a warning pointing out to the very problem.
e) Guess this is for servo thread only?

A) Yes,
B) 50, if the network is not ok it might take to long. IP is not important as a result, it is needed to find out if the network is setup and from that it is always easy to know the gateway, 192.168.0.nnn will have 192.168.0.1 as gateway, etc, usually that gateway is the router/access point.
C) Yes somewhere after 5.06 or 5.09 all the way to 6.02.
D) Not that we noticed. A warning would be OK, something like: even if the results of this test are ok there might be other limiting factors....
E) Yes
F) Thank you
:)
P.S. It would be really nice if others would voice their thoughts on this, i am extremely spaced out lately, working on several projects every day not getting much sleep, so i might be sending you chasing my "fata morgana" .
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
16 Nov 2022 00:03 #256817 by tommylight
Oh dang, the first smiley with glasses is not my doing, capital b and ) does that, apparently!

More
16 Nov 2022 08:10 - 16 Nov 2022 08:10 #256839 by rodw
@seuchato
There is a new kind of latency with Mesa cards and that is network latency which is biting on later kernels, particularly where realtek NIC's are used. Refer the later pages of forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/4691...nishing-read?start=0
Its pretty clear now that this is a debian issue with the drivers. Compiling the kernel or using a non Debian based system like ArchLinux seems to solve the issue.

I've reported this as a Debian bug. 
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1022170
If anybody has more feedback, it would be great to post the info on this bug report. Steffan Moller is going to make sure this is seen by the right pople and has assured me it will be fixed. A bit more support might help...
Last edit: 16 Nov 2022 08:10 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato, tommylight, fletch

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds