Potential All-in-One Single Board Computers

More
25 Sep 2022 16:48 #252718 by Bari
Mellow 3D Gemini Board Questions: How is the H5 connected to the stm32, SPI, or? It has a SPI header but what is connected to it?

Will need a small board to convert the sockets for the stepper drivers to screw connectors for connecting external stepper drives >3A. Will need a good Linux image and u-boot so it doesn't have the same issues as the OpiCNC project. Minimal Remora work for the stm32 on board.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2022 18:19 - 25 Sep 2022 18:20 #252720 by zack
Hey cakeslob
I can try pack the TK tcl  back-plot  for you in axis

Last edit: 25 Sep 2022 18:20 by zack.

More
25 Sep 2022 19:32 #252732 by cakeslob

Mellow 3D Gemini Board Questions: How is the H5 connected to the stm32, SPI, or? It has a SPI header but what is connected to it?

Will need a small board to convert the sockets for the stepper drivers to screw connectors for connecting external stepper drives >3A. Will need a good Linux image and u-boot so it doesn't have the same issues as the OpiCNC project. Minimal Remora work for the stm32 on board.

Bari, check out my list on the previous page, Ive detailed all the hardware related parts. But this board has a set of DIP switches that connect MCU SPI2 to SOC SPI0, which I think is for firmware updates, so I believe no wires are needed. Im fairly sure another one SP1I pin breakout is for the accelerometer to SOC, and another is for SPI1 screen to MCU.

I dont know if the remora linuxcnc component will work with non RPI SPI

They make adapter boards for external step drivers, it looks like mellow is the only ones who do not include external driver headers

Hey cakeslob
I can try pack the TK tcl back-plot for you in axis

Hey zach, thanks for the help. I know the guys in the allwinner thread would appreciate it. Personally, Im still going to continue adding it to my user command file for a separate project.

More
25 Sep 2022 19:50 #252735 by Bari
I brought up the 1GB limitation of these boards on other forums and IRC and most people don't seem to care about limited backplots or even skip using the backplots with gmoccapy. So this opens up the use of even more ARM boards for LCNC.

More
25 Sep 2022 20:18 #252737 by zack
Cool cakeslob
I agree with with the user command file approach for compatability.
I am really looking into python aswell.
I may try a few things when I get a chance,

More
25 Sep 2022 21:49 #252740 by cakeslob

I brought up the 1GB limitation of these boards on other forums and IRC and most people don't seem to care about limited backplots or even skip using the backplots with gmoccapy. So this opens up the use of even more ARM boards for LCNC.

I think its probably less about ram, and more about graphics drivers. On my 1gb RPI4, I expected BBB tier lag or at least some slowdown, but it functions exactly the same as 2gb-8gb. On the BBB it was software rendering, which explained the slowdown, as the graphics driver was not released at the time. Do the allwinner chips have gfx driver open? how is the guy in the other thread running gmocappy?

Dammit, I thought I saw someone last week talking about using Tklinuxcnc because axis doesnt work, but now I cannot find the post. either way I made a quick disable preview usercommand file

File Attachment:

File Name: usercomman...eview.py
File Size:7 KB

I am really looking into python aswell.
I may try a few things when I get a chance,

I am also looking into python lol
I did find something interesting,
import tkinter
gui = tkinter.Tk()
gui.tk.eval(open('hello.tcl','r').read())

looks like it reads tcl in python or something, Im still working on the directory location
Attachments:

More
26 Sep 2022 08:50 - 26 Sep 2022 08:55 #252754 by Bari
Mellow #d Fly Gemini-V2 schematics
raw.githubusercontent.com/Mellow-3D/Fly-...ni-V2_2022-04-14.pdf

"If there's an Linux image for the H5 and an SPI driver, then Remora would be a potential candidate. "

That is not a problem if the board is actually worth using and readily available. 

"I think its probably less about ram, and more about graphics drivers. "  The more ram available the longer the backplots can be.

Last edit: 26 Sep 2022 08:55 by Bari.

More
More
05 Oct 2022 16:33 #253544 by blazini36
If you guys aren't married to ARM, might be worth checking out one of these:
www.seeedstudio.com/ODYSSEY-X86J4125864-p-4916.html  
I use them because they're small, still in production and have 2 NICs so I can dedicate one to a Mesa card. This board has 2 sets of GPIO, one is routed to an Arduino-like MCU, the other is direct from the CPU. I think the Arduino chip connects via a USB bus so it's probably not super useful in RT applications but the CPU based GPIO is kind of interesting. I posted about it here
forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configura...er-gpio-hal?start=10

Nobody shot it down as being unviable, but no suitable HAL drivers probably exist for this type of GPIO.

More
06 Oct 2022 02:14 #253586 by Bari
In the next year we will start to see multicore RISCV boards with 1GB of RAM for ~$20 that can run LCNC and a HD GUI at >30fps. These combined with microcontroller versions of RISCV's, STM32, ESP32 and the Lattice FPGA colorlites will give us plenty of low cost options fo simple LCNC machines.

MangoPi MQ-Pro D1 board RISC-V SBC 1GB RAM for ~$25 now.
www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803971669780.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds