Potential All-in-One Single Board Computers

More
26 Jan 2023 20:13 #262957 by CarterKraft
I was hoping someone say yes this SBC will work.

I have some Pi 3B's now but am not really interested in buying a pi4 unless they become more available again.

I might not be cut out for the SBC life, I don't have the knowledge/skill to develop something like that to work.

Are the Orange pi's interchangeable with the pi 4?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2023 20:23 - 26 Jan 2023 20:32 #262958 by Bari
"Are the Orange pi's interchangeable with the pi 4? "

Sort of from a developers perspective. They have some tailored distributions of Linux with no regards for real time is all.

For instance if you have an Opi5 you can download and install a Debian version from here  www.orangepi.org/html/hardWare/computerA...ort/Orange-pi-5.html

but you still will have to patch the kernel for preempt_rt and modify the u-boot or hope it works well enough for low latency.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2023 20:32 by Bari. Reason: more stuff
The following user(s) said Thank You: CarterKraft

More
26 Jan 2023 22:30 #262963 by royka
I bought an OPI5 with the thought to replace the RPi4 and use the RPi for LinuxCNC, but I regret that. To get a reasonable latency I'd to isolate 3 cores, all other tasks on one A72 core is really slow. Tried about everything, had it overclocked @ 2ghz and a SSD to boot from. Really not worth it imo, a lot of time wasted. Yes it could work, but not a pleasure to work with. Ended up buying a Optiplex 3070 with an i5 6500T for 130,- it's also very small about 17x17,5x3,5cm, with a latency of 40us which is ok with a hardware controller.
The OPI5 is much faster then the RPi4, the multicore score is even higher than the i5 6500T.
I might gonna look sometime to see how the latency will be with the RK3588, but I'm not sure if the RT patch is applicable to that kernel. If it works it would be a really nice option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CarterKraft

More
27 Jan 2023 01:14 #262967 by Bari
It needs to run a proper preempt_rt kernel and also u-boot to be configured properly.

More
27 Jan 2023 01:31 #262968 by royka
Ah ok, what needs to be changed to the uboot? Just patched the kernel, as far as I could see it patched most of the files and set the tick clock at 1000hz. Tomorrow I will see if it will compile, but I don't expect anything. There is some development for UEFI for the rk3588, so there probably will come a moment it could boot mainline Linux 

More
27 Jan 2023 02:14 - 27 Jan 2023 04:07 #262969 by Bari
This would be a new thread on the forums. This thread is just a running list of potential boards.

You could start a new thread and post all the info, sources and configs for what you have tried and see if anyone has time and interest in going further.

UEFI might make the situation even worse for trying to configure the hardware for best real time performance.

You also have to have in mind that most of the kernel and firmware development for this device cares very little about real time performance. So support for RT will be few and far between.

Saw this:  forum.radxa.com/t/uefi-edk2-on-the-rock-5b/12642
Would be better if someone gets coreboot vs EFI.  www.coreboot.org/  or the Rust version  github.com/oreboot/oreboot
Last edit: 27 Jan 2023 04:07 by Bari. Reason: coreboot info

More
27 Jan 2023 13:34 - 27 Jan 2023 18:37 #263006 by royka
The kernel did compile, there is probably a lot to improve with the settings but after running the test for about 30min, few glxgears open and youtube and 5 tabs in chromium it had a max jitter of 100us,
The setting: OPI5 on Armbian with RT kernel patch, Wayland, clock timer @1000Hz but that with isolcpus didn't work, had to set boot args: isolcpus=4-7 nohz=on nohz_full=4-7
I don't have tried anything else yet. For now I've some other things to do, when I get better results I'll start a new thread.

Update: I was being stupid, realized that the kernel cache was getting cleaned, thought that I told not to do... so that means this result was without patches and only the boot flags isolcpus and nohz did something. With the kernel patched it won't compile yet
Last edit: 27 Jan 2023 18:37 by royka. Reason: Mistake

More
27 Jan 2023 20:38 #263022 by Bari
I kicked off a new thread to discuss the Opi5 here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/48079-can...nfigured-to-run-lcnc
The following user(s) said Thank You: royka, CarterKraft

More
More
06 Feb 2023 20:02 #263865 by Bari
Finally found some u-boot source for the RK3588

wiki.radxa.com/Rock5/dev/Debian

The Radxa Rock5 is similar to the Opi5. They both use the Rockchip RK3588.

Time to create page: 0.336 seconds