usb485 to huanyang vfd

More
13 May 2020 00:26 #167581 by tjones
Replied by tjones on topic usb485 to huanyang vfd
That worked great, almost. I am able to turn off/on the spindle and vary rpm slightly. It is a 24000 rpm spindle and it might be only going 200. In the MDI I ran through a few different rpms to see if it would effect the speed and it does, but it is not full rpms yet. I checked .INI that it was set to 24000 and even in the loadusr line of the vfd I call out 24000. I initially thought I had the speed cmd messed up in my custom.hal file but when I check in the hal confugration and check the signals and pins are correct and list the rpm I stated in the MDI. Not sure what to check next.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2020 00:33 #167582 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic usb485 to huanyang vfd
Maybe the max frequency of the VFD needs increasing. It might well be set to a default of 50, and your spindle will need 300.

More
13 May 2020 03:07 #167602 by tjones
That was definitely an issue, I forgot that I had reset the VFD to its defaults when I started trying to set up the usb485 connection. The ramp time was super slow and would error out so I changed it to 2 seconds. Now it speeds up to about 3000 rpm quickly and then slowly rises and eventually times out. I played around with a few different speeds and it works like it should up to 3000rpm (50Hz), but once it reaches 3000 it very slowly rises till it error outs. Never making it above 100Hz or so.

More
13 May 2020 09:08 #167628 by andypugh
That sounds like VFD config.

The VFD on my cheap chinese spindle is the other way round, a very slow ramp to 2000 rpm then it takes off up to the set speed. I haven't bothered looking for the setting that controls this.

More
13 May 2020 09:14 #167630 by andypugh
PD14, PD16, PD18 and PD20 are all accel times, but not particularly well documented. Maybe try changing all of them?

More
13 May 2020 23:50 #167684 by tjones
Still the same when I change all the accel times. When the speed approaches 3000rpm I do a flashing warning A.oL but it still very slowly is increasing speed. After 3000rpm it isn't very long until I get a fault E.oLA According to the manual it is inverter overload. Something to note is I ran this off a digital control circuit and used the potentiometer on the face of the VFD to manual change the speed. I just set up a relay between my old BOB the VFD. Running in that mode I never saw this kind of behavior or any faults. Ran for probably 2 years like this before the computer went out and I decided to upgrade from the parallel port BOB. I also tested changing the number of poles of the motor listed in the VFD. It defaults to 4 but I think these 24000rpm spindles are 2 pole if I am not mistaken.

More
13 May 2020 23:53 #167685 by tjones
Oh one more thing I checked was to set the display to show target frequency and it was bang on every time. So I pretty confident this is all in the inverter unless there is some parameter for spindle ramp time in linuxcnc. When I was reading in the documentation section, it looks like you have hand code that in if you want to use, which I don't,

More
16 May 2020 18:07 #167987 by tjones
I reset to default settings and set it up so I can use the Start/Stop on the faceplate of the VFD. It does the same thing as the rs485 connection. Which confirms there isn't any issue with the communication. But still having limited speed even with all the settings set to 400Hz. I even set PD072 to 400Hz, which is a analog frequency limit. It made it speed up faster, but not improvement on RPM of 2,500rpm. If I crank the potentiometer to the max it does rapids to about 2500rpm and slowly climbs from there. Gives me a A.ol warning just after 3000rpm and then eventually stops with E.oLa

More
16 May 2020 18:34 #167989 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic usb485 to huanyang vfd
Just a thought have you set the param. for the number of poles on the motor I have seen them set for 2 and 4
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 May 2020 18:43 #167991 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic usb485 to huanyang vfd
That seems like VFD/motor issue.
Are you sure the VFD is set properly for that motor, the main thing is motor poles.
www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=oDPAX...sKDXwQ4dUDCAY&uact=5
Check if the motor starts heating after a minute or two of use, but stop the VFD after that minute, wait for another 2 minutes and check the motor, if it is still cold, let it run for another minute, stop, check temperature after 2 minutes.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds