Early Omniturn gang lathe to Linuxcnc?

More
22 Oct 2019 18:31 #148552 by gearheaded
The MB is a brand new ASRock J3355B-ITX. The SSD is a new ADATA 32GB MLC Sata Dom powered by 5V external but I wired it into the 5V of the main power supply. Memory is 4GB Patriot 1333 and I set the BIOS to the specified 1.5V.

I'm using a PS/2 KB and Mouse. Hooked up to an ASUS 1920x1080 monitor.

I'm going to be using a smaller monitor in the installation, and probably will get an industrial touch screen.

Does the monitor resolution have a significant affect?
Would the LAN settings have any affect?

I have noticed that the internet connection(hard wired) seems much slower than all my other computers, and a lack of response on occasion from the KB and mouse, like things are hung up for 5-10 seconds. Videos sometimes play fine, other times speed up and slow down. Although not as bad with isolcpus turned off, still noticeable.

Is there a MB available right now that would be a significantly better choice? Cause I'll just buy it and use this one as a desktop.

Thanks

Karl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2019 19:29 #149207 by gearheaded
Hello:

I stepped away from the project for a few days as I was getting frustrated, and did some research on possible other motherboards.

I decided to try one more time before spending any more money. After looking at all the notes I had made, at some point in my initial research for this project, I came across a long thread on latency and noted that it seemed in agreement, at least in that thread, that all ACPI should be disabled except the ACPI HNET table. So all the things I've tried, I never changed this in the BIOS:

ACPI config:

Everything disabled except for- ACPI HNET Table is enabled

I disabled it and now Linuxcnc with the Mesa cards configured starts and runs without a problem. No problem with latency, although I am still running isolcpus=1. Without it, latency improved by a huge margin, but is still at 245us. I think I know what to do to fix this, but I need to move on to the rest of the project for awhile. As of now, I am happy with what I have going, with latency just under 20us and the Linuxcnc software running for days without issue.

It looks like my MPG is possibly dead, the IR sensors are outputting correctly, but the signals aren't getting to the hookup pins, so now I have to trouble shoot that or buy a different one.

Its time to finish wiring and designing a new front panel with a touch screen and MPG. I'll post when I have made some significant progress.

Thanks

Karl

More
15 Sep 2020 11:46 #182212 by cngbrick
Hi Karl, have you made any progress on your project? I have a few Omniturn GTs and have been considering converting one to LinuxCNC to use as a prototyping lathe and add C axis capability.

RT

More
17 Sep 2020 17:09 #182557 by gearheaded
Hello RT:

Progress has slowed to stopped for now, although I have made some since this post, including getting pretty good with QTdesigner and QTvcp. Been trying out various layouts for a gang tool focused screen but have not settled on a final version yet.

Many life complications, not the least of which has been 27, 1400 mile driving trips in 28 months to care for my dad who died two days ago.

However, over the winter I needed to run production, and had a belt fail on the vari drive in my Hardinge attachment, so I swapped the controller onto my other Omniturn only to find the spindle tube was bent. Anyway, fixed all that and made the thousands of parts needed for my products, and took apart the Hardinge, removing the vari drive, preparing for direct drive belt installation.

There are two problems now, one is I can't decide what type of belt and pulley to run, since I need to machine the Hardinge pulley and whatever replacement pulley I choose, so that they fit together to make one that fits the spindle.

Should be easier for you with the GT, However, I'm not sure whether the GT comes with a toothed belt even if ordered without C-axis. Either way, it is a simpler spindle and should be easier to convert.

My second problem, is I live in Portland, OR., only a few miles from where the fires are burning, and the city has chosen the Covid crises to come after numerous homes in our neighborhood for vehicles, trailers, motorhomes, etc. parked improperly. Although I keep my home and property in top shape, I none the less own many old muscle cars, and my wifes 1974 BMW 2002, plus a storage container, and in Portland, you can't have vehicles or containers on your property in areas not permitted for it. On top of that, my really nice driveway that goes around my house was poured 27 years ago by the previous owner without a permit, now I have to submit a site plan, permit and pay for it as well. Had to sell a 68 Lemans, move my moms 72 Mustang into storage, and put my 64 GTO into the paint shop just to get them off my property...they are however, letting me use the driveway while I go through permitting, so I didn't have to get all my cars gone.

So my wife and I have decided to exit Portland and Multnomah county after living here since 1971. I've had enough. I can save nearly $700 per month in water and sewer costs, property, and other tax savings, just by not living in Portland and Multnomah county.

I closed my business for now, sent out resumes, and just had my first interview a couple days ago. (need a regular job to get a mortgage loan) I am still going to finish this project and will start another thread detailing the actual build and Linuxcnc implementation, but it will have to wait until we move into a house with a shop in a city/county that wants us...looking in the Hood River area in the Columbia River Gorge.

Sorry for the rant...this project will continue but it will probably be quite awhile before I have the time to concentrate on it regularly again.

Karl

More
17 Sep 2020 20:11 #182568 by cngbrick
Hi Karl,

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, my condolences to you and your family.

Having seen pictures of your shop I can see you will be a very busy man in the next months arranging for your move, I wish you good luck with that and your new job.

Regarding my Omniturns, one of them has the toothed belt. I suspect it was upgraded by a previous owner as there are no other C-axis features on that machine. I have three of them currently in storage and one in the shop in queue for new linear rails and a good cleanup. I expect I may end up parting one out to make some room.

Take care and I look forward to reading your posts when you are back on your feet!

RT

More
17 Sep 2020 20:42 #182574 by tommylight
My condolences to you and your family.

More
18 Sep 2020 13:10 #182644 by johnmc1
Wishing you the best, for what ever you decide in these troubled times.
Cheers john.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds