Mesa 5i25 and 7176 getting started

More
15 May 2015 21:52 #58744 by Clive S

This is what axis is showing: 2.8.0-pre1-598-g048366b But it did also install gmoccapy and I am switching between the two gui's ..Clive

In that case you might well be almost ready-to-go with hm2_eth and the 7i76E

What does "uname -a" say?

Linuxcnc-2-6 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae #1 SMP pre-empt Debian 3.4.55-4li!!! sorry a missed the last bit

So its really 2.6 and not 2.8
Clive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2015 22:01 #58745 by andypugh
If Axis says 2.8 then it's probably true.

uname tells us the kernel version, and you are using the LinuxCNC-issued RTAI kernel.

You need to use the rt-preempt kernel with m2_eth

sudo apt-get install linux-image-rt-686-pae

If that works you can then see what uname -a says after rebooting (I don't know if you have to actively choose the new kernel after installing it)

More
15 May 2015 23:06 #58748 by Clive S
Andy Do you know that if I install the kernel if it will effect the gmocappy bit? I suspect not. I don't think I have read on here anybody using the E version of the 7i76 What would be the biggest advantage of using this over the 7i76 + 5i25 apart from the cable?

Thanks Clive

More
15 May 2015 23:31 #58749 by andypugh

What would be the biggest advantage of using this over the 7i76 + 5i25 apart from the cable?

I don't know if there is any advantage. I am certainly not pushing you in that direction. I thought you wanted to use the 7i76E.

More
15 May 2015 23:37 #58750 by Clive S

What would be the biggest advantage of using this over the 7i76 + 5i25 apart from the cable?

I don't know if there is any advantage. I am certainly not pushing you in that direction. I thought you wanted to use the 7i76E.

Andy Yes I didn't think you was trying to push me in any direction and I do thank you for your time and efforts you continually put into the forum.

I suppose I was wondering if the pci verses the Ethernet would make any difference to the latency of the system etc.

Clive

More
15 May 2015 23:40 #58751 by andypugh

I suppose I was wondering if the pci verses the Ethernet would make any difference to the latency of the system etc.

hm2_eth only works with the rt-preempt kernel which has worse latency than the RTAI kernel.
That doesn't really matter for the Mesa cards, though.

If you want a proven setup that thousands of people are using and that is well understood then go for the 5i25/7i76 option.

More
16 May 2015 05:00 #58753 by Clive S

hm2_eth only works with the rt-preempt kernel which has worse latency than the RTAI kernel.
That doesn't really matter for the Mesa cards, though.

If you want a proven setup that thousands of people are using and that is well understood then go for the 5i25/7i76 option.

Well we have gone round the loop and its been interesting, but as you say follow the crowd at least any questions that I may have to ask will have been done already. Thanks again Clive

More
19 May 2015 04:04 #58834 by amhfabs
Do any of you guys know how to use an MPG with the 7i76? I can't see that the manual says anything about it?

I read from another post about setting the board to software "mode 2" but I have no idea how to do this? Something about changing a line in the driver config to sserial_port_0=2000xxxx?? Where do I find this? I'm currently just playing around with PNCconfig as the code side of things in HAL is a bit daunting at the moment....

More
19 May 2015 04:07 - 19 May 2015 04:07 #58836 by andypugh

I read from another post about setting the board to software "mode 2" but I have no idea how to do this? Something about changing a line in the driver config to sserial_port_0=2000xxxx?? Where do I find this?

It's in the HAL file.

I'm currently just playing around with PNCconfig as the code side of things in HAL is a bit daunting at the moment....

Oh Dear :-)

Actually it might well be read in to the HAL file from the INI file in your config. Is the INI file less daunting?
Last edit: 19 May 2015 04:07 by andypugh.

More
19 May 2015 04:14 #58837 by amhfabs
Ok, I found it in my HAL file,

So I just change this line? then what happens?

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds