Hardinge CHNC retrofit- Another one on the way!

More
24 Jul 2012 10:15 #22378 by andypugh
Alloy Craft wrote:

After talking to Peter at Mesa, I ended up going with the Mesa 5I23 card, two 7i33,s and one 7I49.

Do you mean 7i33, or 7i37 / 7i37TA ? The 7i33 is intended for connecting encoder-feedback / analogue control drives. It is very much an encoder version of the 7i49.
The 7i37, on the other hand, is a generic IO interface card.
(The following assumes 7i37)
One option for the servo drives might be to consider the Mesa 7i29 servo drive if the HiAks are dead. You can connect 2 of them (for 4 channels) in place of one of the 7i37s.

However, the drives from eBay mentioned earlier are a fair bit cheaper and will integrate more readily with the 7i49. The 7i49 suits analogue-voltage controlled drive, the 7i29 assumes encoder feedback, so you would end up effectively using half of the connector pins occupied by each board.

Next problem is the MPG, I have a Fanuc remote mpg pendant, that I was hoping to use, however since I ended up going with the 7i49, I don’t have any way to get the signal into Emc. The board I am using has a parallel port, so i guess I need to get a separate encoder input board that is geared toward the parallel port?

There are many ways to make that work, and one would be to use the parallel port, as suggested. But, if you are adding a p-port and base thread to run a software encoder counter, you could instead add the 5i23 GPIO-read to the base thread and connect the MPG to one of the 7i37s.
Better would be to have a firmware in the FPGA which included an encoder module on some pins located in the 7i37 header. I don't know if this exists by default, but it should be possible for someone to create one. (I ought to be able to, for example, but one from Mesa is likely to work better)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2012 16:02 #22406 by Alloy Craft
Yes I did mean 7i37, posting at 11:00 pm can be hazardous to your posts, lol. Anyway, both axis drives have ben tested and work well, and I beleive the spindle drive may work, I just cant get the feed hold disabled. If anybody with could take a look at the circuit diagram I posted and give me their 2 cents on whats going on on the feed holds that would be helpfull. If I need to replace any of the servo drives I will be going the route of a full conversion. I have newer yaskawa and panasonic servo drives and motors sitting in my office as I was originally going for a full conversion.

As for the MPG, I dont have any avaliable pins left on the 2 7i37's they are all going to be used for IO, in fact I think I may be short pins if I want the vertical slide and parts chute to function. I think I will need another way to connect the MPG. Do you know if anybody sells a encoder to resolver conversion board? If they did I could feed the mpg into the 7i49 since I have extra pins there.

More
24 Jul 2012 18:58 #22414 by andypugh
Alloy Craft wrote:

As for the MPG, I dont have any avaliable pins left on the 2 7i37's they are all going to be used for IO, in fact I think I may be short pins if I want the vertical slide and parts chute to function. I think I will need another way to connect the MPG. Do you know if anybody sells a encoder to resolver conversion board? If they did I could feed the mpg into the 7i49 since I have extra pins there.

I was going to suggest that you could declare only 3 resolver and PWM instances, and use the spare pins on the 7i49, but it looks rather like that won't work. (It might with a custom ribbon-cable, but that would require confirmation from PCW)

I am pretty sure that an Arduino could emulate a resolver, as long as the 7i49 firmware is not too bothered about the sin/cos signals actually being AC.

More
24 Jul 2012 19:22 #22415 by BigJohnT
Do you have a parallel port to connect the MPG to?

John

More
24 Jul 2012 19:46 - 24 Jul 2012 19:49 #22417 by Alloy Craft
I do have an extra arduino from a old project, however I think the programming would be over my head.

The motherboard I am using is a industrial variety type and has a parallel port avaliable, it also has a digital IO port with assignable addresses, however now sure how it works, need to play with is more.

here is the mfg link

www.aaeonusa.com/products/details/?item_id=1171
Last edit: 24 Jul 2012 19:49 by Alloy Craft.

More
24 Jul 2012 21:47 #22418 by JR1050
You could also use a resolver as an mpg and save the par port for your spindle encoder. Using a 7i33 for the two encoder inputs and spi i/o is also an option or a 7i33 and an opto 22 pb 24. I belive mesa has a 72 point i/o card that uses spi,it aint real cheap though.

Attached is the motor spec sheet for the electrocraft servo.

File Attachment:

File Name: ES0660_02_045.pdf
File Size:73 KB
Attachments:

More
24 Jul 2012 21:55 #22419 by JR1050
I scanned the hiack book,but it is 62 megs and I cant attach it.If you want a copy,email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. will make ur life alot easier.

More
24 Jul 2012 22:23 #22420 by andypugh
Alloy Craft wrote:

it also has a digital IO port with assignable addresses, however now sure how it works, need to play with is more.

It would be extremely easy to write a driver for that IO.
In fact:

component emb "HAL driver for Aaean EMB-945T GPIO";
pin in bit digin-#[8] "digital inputs";
license "GPL";
author "Andy Pugh";
function _;

;;
FUNCTION(_){
int data;
int i;
data = rtapi_inb(0x2a1);
for (i = 0 ; i < 8 ; i++){
digin(i) = data & 0x01;
data >>= 1;
}
}

Is probably it.

save that as emb.comp, then sudo comp --install emb.comp at the command line, and emb should be available as a driver in HAL.
(This is untested, written on the fly, purely as a demonstration, it might not even compile)
((you might need to install the linuxcnc-dev package to compile it))

More
07 Aug 2012 05:08 #22929 by Alloy Craft
Thanks Andy, I will try that when I can, however I have to admit I have linux cnc installed and have run it a couple times but that’s about it. I am having trouble understanding the file structure of linux, I’m so used to windows, navigating is a little difficult for me right now. I need to play with it more to get a feel for it. Anyway, right now I am still trying to sort out the spindle drive. I purchased a copy of the Ge hi-ak manual and am chasing down a fault signal from the main legs of the servo drive power switching circuit. I think a transistor may be shorted somewhere but that’s just a guess right now. I was really hoping that I wouldn’t have to dive into the boards but that’s the only cheap option I have at this point. Luckily the manual has all the board schematics so tracing the fault is possible with enough patience. While I was waiting for my Hi-ak manual to arrive my Mesa cards showed up. I found a temporary junk enclosure in the back and bolted everything in. I have attached photos of my test rig that I will be using until I get a proper panel pc with operator interface built. The panel will be a 19 inch chi mei monitor with a elo surface acoustic wave touch screen. Not as desirable as a 5 wire resistive but the price was right. The connections to the old control go through 8 panel mounted db25 connectors, I reused the transition panel from the old hardinge cabinet I have. I cut all the wires behind the panel long enough so that I could plug them directly into the mesa cards. This should make things fairly simple because I will have to do very little wiring on the machine itself. Most of the wiring will be inside the operator panel. I think I need to install the mesa software to set the cards up but I am still having trouble figuring out how to install stuff in linux?

Everything looks like a rats nest right now, but should suffice for testing purposes.

More
07 Aug 2012 12:58 #22944 by andypugh
Alloy Craft wrote:
[quote I am having trouble understanding the file structure of linux, I’m so used to windows, navigating is a little difficult for me right now.[/quote]I think that you only really need to worry about the things in home/linuxcnc

I think I need to install the mesa software to set the cards up but I am still having trouble figuring out how to install stuff in linux?

If I remember right you have a 7i49 and 2x7i33? Pnnconf is probably what you need (it should be in the "CNC" sub-menu). Looking through the code I see mention of Resolvers, so that looks promising.
You will need the correct bitfile for the Mesa FPGA card. I guess that is a 5i23, in which case the file lives deeper down in the system files in /lib/firmware/hm2/5i23/
You will need admin privileges to move the file to there. Assuming you have the file on your desktop then you would need to use the following command in a terminal window (under applications/accessories)
sudo mv ~/Desktop/rmsv8_8.bit /lib/firmware/hm2/

"sudo" means do this as super-user, "mv" means move, ~/ at the beginning of a file path points to your home folder, / at he beginning points to the root level. I guessed the bitfile name.

I found an old post from Pete with a link to a Resolver bitfile for the 5i23 and the file is still there:
freeby.mesanet.com/rmsvss6_8.bit
This has a 7i49 pinout on P2. You can have general IO pins on the other connectors by setting num_encoders and num_sserials to zero in the config.

I am guessing that pncconf will struggle as it won't undertand that bitfile. I will have a fiddle about with the latest pncconf tonight when I get back to a LinuxCNC machine and try to figure out what you need to do.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds