Starting another conversion Harrison L5a

More
29 May 2015 05:20 #59174 by mblaszkiewicz
Well starting another conversion. Just looking for some advice and some answers.

1st the advice. I'm looking at two different systems and want some advice on which would be better. Ist is my personal 2nd choice

www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?products_id=598

This is an 850 oz dc-servo system. Not many doc's online for it, and really don't want to mess with servo's again

2nd is 1128 oz hybrid stepper kit. I'm looking towards this system due to an easier set up for steppers from what I've read.

www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/produc...cnc-kit-110vac220vac

I'll also be adding a VFD for spindle control and a homemade encoder disk for spindle positioning so I can thread.
I will also add in limit switches for the x axis and z axis.

Which ever system I use I will mount with a 3 to 1 timing belts.

for now I will drive the the Z axis off the acme screw and x off the cross slide acme screw.

Now for the questions.
I would like to use Mesa 5i25 7i77 combo. I used mesa on my brother tc-211 and the cards and support were priceless.
The only concern I have right now is on CNCzone it seems that mesa has had a real backlog on cards going out. I would like this build to go a little quicker.
Paul if you would like to chime in I would take your word on delivery as GOLD. You have never steered my wrong on your products.

Future projects on the lathe will include installing ball screws and a homebuilt 8 tool, tool changer (CNC of course grabcad.com/library/cnc-lathe-turret-1)

I may also add in a live tool on the cross slide. (just dreaming a little now)

So any ideas or advice would be great.

I'm also wondering if the kits I chose would have the power to drive a full size lathe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2015 06:44 - 29 May 2015 07:01 #59177 by mblaszkiewicz
Just a little pic of the machine before I start. I know how much everyone loves pics.

Still needs a good cleaning.
Last edit: 29 May 2015 07:01 by mblaszkiewicz. Reason: insert pic

More
29 May 2015 08:06 #59178 by PCW
We have a fairly large backlog so expect at least 1-2 weeks for delivery
BTW for a step/dir system a 5I25/7I77 card set is not appropriate,
a 5I25/7I76 is similar card set for step/dir systems but may be overkill for a lathe

More
29 May 2015 08:19 #59179 by mblaszkiewicz
What would you recomend then.

More
29 May 2015 21:27 #59189 by andypugh

2nd is 1128 oz hybrid stepper kit. I'm looking towards this system due to an easier set up for steppers from what I've read..

The kit seems relatively expensive, compared to the direct-from-China price for similar things.www.ebay.com/itm//331555913866
Granted you need a PSU, but if you are using a 7i76 then you wouldn't need the BoB.

However, for a lathe you could consider using the bare 5i25 as a souped-up parallel port, and not bother with the 7i76. All you would really be missing is analogue spindle control, and you could achieve that with Modbus or the Mesa SpinX.

I run a 9x lathe with Nema 23 steppers rated at 2.5Nm. The X has always been fine, but the Z is a little too weak for toolpost-drilling.

My next lathe conversion (which I might start this weekend) will definitely be using servos. And probably resolvers, but I do this for fun and choose hardware that appeals to me.

More
31 May 2015 01:34 #59240 by mblaszkiewicz
I think I am going with the steeper kit from automation.

www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/produc...cnc-kit-110vac220vac

The cnc4pc kit is short a few things, like a control card $180 on their site and shown in their wiring diagram, plus not sure how it would work in Linux. they seem more mach 3 oriented. (usb parts and such).

Andy or PCW could you guide me to the mesa cards I would need for the 2 axis hybrid system and a vfd.
Thanks again.

More
31 May 2015 03:36 #59245 by andypugh
Somehow you seem to have posted the shortened (non-working) URL that the forum shows as the link. Can you try again.

I just got my new project home (a CNC conversion rather like your L5)
picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/imaBHuB3zs...rrBE?feat=directlink

More
More
31 May 2015 05:13 #59254 by mblaszkiewicz
I guess we will have a build off then on full size machines then. hehehehe

good luck on your build. I'll be watching closely.

More
31 May 2015 05:39 #59255 by andypugh

good luck on your build.

And you.
Can you get a discount for not having the C10 board on that kit? Basically a C10 and a 7i76 do exactly the same thing (and the 7i76 does a bit more)
You could consider skipping the 7i76 and using the C10 connected directly to a 5i25. That probably has enough channels and IO for a lathe. (and also bear in mind that there is almost no limit to what you could hang on the spare heade r on the 5i25, up to 284 more IO lines, for example.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds