Starting another conversion Harrison L5a

More
03 Jan 2016 18:24 #67764 by mblaszkiewicz
I tried running it a little not exectly what I was looking for.

So back to normal axis tool table and I have a problem reading it in.

I have been able to touch off and reset zero which for one part is fine. This is the first time I tried multiple tools in 1 shot.

I ran the program below with the offesets I have in ther tool.tbl file and it is not working.

my z zero is the front of the part,
x zero is my home position

I'm sure the problem is an id 10 T error.
Me

I don't know the proper order for what I doing.

Also I use a cam program for all programming so I really need to work in G code.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2016 01:42 #67793 by andypugh
Here is how I use my lathe.

T1 is a normal side and face tool. That always has 0 in all the tool table offsets.
I make a test cut, measure with a caliper, and set the G54 X offset.
I then either measure from a face, or face off, and set the G55 Z offset to 0.
I do this with the Touch-off button in Axis, as a simpler way to get the calculated values into the tool table or the coordinate system offsets.

Then for any other tools, I repeat the process. But, I touch them off into the tool table, not into G54.

So, the value in the tool table for each tool becomes a measure of how that tool differs from T1, my master tool.

I work a similar way with the mill, except in that case my master tool is the touch-probe.

More
04 Jan 2016 04:11 #67801 by mblaszkiewicz
How do you write the offsets into the program and where in the tool table do you put your ofacets for x and z

More
04 Jan 2016 10:04 #67808 by andypugh

How do you write the offsets into the program and where in the tool table do you put your ofacets for x and z

I don't write the offsets into the program. I don't even know what the numbers are.

Once the tool table is filled out by the touch-off process it doesn't need much attention until that tool is moved in the holder or a different tip geometry is used.

So, the G-code just says M6 T7 G43, and then that loads the tool and loads the correct offsets.

I never use a G10 in a program. I occasionally use G10 in the MDI window if I have accidentally put an offset in tool 1.

More
04 Jan 2016 12:14 - 04 Jan 2016 12:16 #67816 by mblaszkiewicz
In the tool travelers then, when you touch of t7 your z number goes in the z column and x goes on the x?

Do you indicate any dia. Or other info in the table.

Also do you place a D7 . Or H7 after the g43?
Last edit: 04 Jan 2016 12:16 by mblaszkiewicz.

More
04 Jan 2016 13:30 #67819 by andypugh

In the tool travelers then, when you touch of t7 your z number goes in the z column and x goes on the x?

Do you indicate any dia. Or other info in the table.

The touch-off button in Axis automatically does the calculation before putting the value in the tool table if G7 is active.

For profiling work it is useful to put the tip diameter in the tool table, but otherwise I never directly edit the tool table.
I don't normally bother with tool radius compensation unless I am creating a curve where the exact shape is important. (which is a very rare thing to do).

Also do you place a D7 . Or H7 after the g43?

If you don't use the H-word then LinuxCNC assumes that you want to apply the offset that matches the T-number.

More
08 Jan 2016 14:50 #68066 by mblaszkiewicz
Thank you again to Andy. Now one more question.

This pertains to my vfd. Can I wire my power cord into the vfd and still have full rpm control. The machine has no other items on the circuit (coolant pump, dro, feed motors etc.).

I also cam feed the vfd 3 phase power.

Thanks again to everyone here.

More
08 Jan 2016 15:02 #68067 by andypugh

This pertains to my vfd. Can I wire my power cord into the vfd and still have full rpm control.

I am not 100% certain what you are asking.

Is LinuxCNC currently controlling the VFD?

You must never have any switches or breakers between the VFD and the motor.

More
08 Jan 2016 15:20 #68068 by mblaszkiewicz
The vfd is not controlling the machine. But the machine does have a switch or two in line (power, fwd and rev) so I guess I will have to wire it to the motor directly.

More
08 Jan 2016 15:42 #68069 by andypugh
Yes, you need to wire the motor direct to the VFD then have the existing Fwd / Rev / On/ Off switches operate the VFD.

(Actually, you can do it the other way, as long as the VFD gets turned off before the Fwd/Rev switch breaks the motor circuit.)

But really you want LinuxCNC in control of the VFD to do constant surface speed.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds