Starting another conversion Harrison L5a

More
11 Jan 2016 21:52 #68199 by mblaszkiewicz
Ok I need help again. I have steppers with 200 steps per rotation. My ball screw is a 58mm ball screw. What would my scale in the ini file be. I have been playing with it with terrible results. Any help would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2016 22:16 #68202 by andypugh

I have steppers with 200 steps per rotation. My ball screw is a 58mm ball screw.

That sounds unlikely. I think that Sam's K&T might have ballscrews that big, but not a lathe.

The number in the INI file needs to be the number of steps per unit movement. It might be easier to work it out from first principles.
Don't forget the microstepping factor.

More
11 Jan 2016 22:33 - 11 Jan 2016 22:34 #68203 by mblaszkiewicz
Oops 5 mm
No micro stepping
1 to 1 pulleys
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 22:34 by mblaszkiewicz.

More
11 Jan 2016 22:58 #68206 by andypugh
In that case it is 40 steps per mm or 1016 steps per inch.

More
12 Jan 2016 16:00 #68245 by Todd Zuercher
I think, It is a little unusual for a drive to have no micro stepping at all. The drives I've messed about with had at least 1/2 stepping. (But my experience is limited to only a couple of manufacturers.)

What kind of drives do you have?

More
12 Jan 2016 17:12 #68260 by mblaszkiewicz
I bought the kit from automation technologies on page one of the thread. I have them set for no micro stepping. I'm looking for all the torque I can get.

More
12 Jan 2016 17:19 #68261 by andypugh

I bought the kit from automation technologies on page one of the thread. I have them set for no micro stepping. I'm looking for all the torque I can get.

You might get smoother motion with 1/4 or 1/2 stepping. This might give you higher speeds before stall.

Microstepping doesn't give you less torque, it gives you less torque per step.
If you are at 10x microstepping, then after 10 steps you are exactly where things would have been after a single step. If that isn't enough to move the load then neither would a single step have been. The motor will stall in either case.

www.micromo.com/microstepping-myths-and-realities

More
12 Jan 2016 17:23 #68262 by mblaszkiewicz
Also thanks. I finally got everything working correctly and cut a good 3/4-10 thread. It only took 3 hours. Ha ha ha next one should be a little quicker. I will post a video tonight or tomorrow.

Also picked up my first jobs for the lathe. 5 pieces. Small thread on hex and a cbore on the back with an id thread. And 68 pieces of single point threading.

When I get a little bit ahead of the bills I'll have to fly you (Andy) and you wife over for a vacation for all the help.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds