Retrofit Gloria Europa 2/40 machining centre

More
21 Feb 2016 17:23 #70446 by PCW
That would use standard 7I77+7i76 firmware
The following user(s) said Thank You: backtime

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2016 14:21 #70480 by andypugh

So here we go, the boards are a 6i25 + 7i76 + 7i77 + 7i84. With this i can put my machine on service.

Now i have a question, for this combination i need a custom firmware?

No, that will work with a stock firmware, there is one for 5i25 (the 6i25 uses 5i25 firmware) and 7i76 + 7i77. The 7i84 will be auto-detected.

You will need one of these: www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Profile-Bracke...parallel+port+header (or similar) to connect to the second header.

More
22 Feb 2016 15:44 #70484 by backtime
Yes, even PCW had confirmed to me that the stock firmware is suitable and we already have the IDC-26 adapter, now we wait for the cards to arrive.

Thanks to everyone.

More
30 May 2016 16:19 #75249 by backtime
I finally have the time to continue with the work of retrofit and I would need some information.

I bought a mini-ITX Asus H170I PLUS-D3 motherboard, very nice board, i have disabled all power
management features and audio and left enabled ethernet, integrated wifi and onboard GPU, stock
linuxcnc 2.7 is installed on SSD.

Now with this configuration and isolcpus=1 on linux command line i have very good jitter:
servo thread max jitter: 8230
base thread max jitter: 7892

even if the overall performance is not so good under heavy load.

With same configuration but without isolcpus command line option i have this jitter values:
servo thread max jitter: 24000
base thread max jitter: 28550
and the overall performance is very good

This last values are too hight for software stepper but i use mesa cards for step generation and encoder count,
so are the last values suitable for mesa or i have to go with isolcpus?

Thanks for replies.

More
30 May 2016 17:00 #75252 by PCW
As a rough rule for mesa systems at 1 KHz servo thread:

50000 ns latency is OK for the standard position mode stepgen

100000 ns latency is OK if the PID stepgen setup is used in HAL

500000 ns latency is OK if a firmware with DPLL + PID stepgen are used

So I would definitely _NOT_ use isolcpus, it will do nothing but make the system slower

More
30 May 2016 17:11 #75254 by backtime
Thank you for fast response PCW, i'll go without isolcpus.

More
11 Jun 2016 11:22 #75813 by aventtini
hello see my topick you have the configuration on 6i25 and 7i77 if you want . THe bosch drives work perfect with mesa

More
11 Jun 2016 16:27 #75824 by backtime
Which topic? I can not see any link. However the bosh original drives have been replaced.

More
11 Jun 2016 16:32 #75825 by aventtini
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/38-general-linu...etrofit?limitstart=0

Its a good machine for aluminium and steel drilling . Make it a liniar scales you will get a perfect machine on this . if you want the panel with buttons i still have it . If you want the machanical schematics i can give you.

More
11 Jun 2016 18:10 #75829 by backtime
Ah I see, the same as our machine, you did a great job, congratulations, I hope to operate our in the coming days and start doing some work.

Thanks for the info, the machine is in our workshop for many years and has always worked well. We decided to retrofit because the CC100 had failed and taking advantage of an offer I replaced drives, eliminated the high voltage power supplies and simplified scheme.

In the workshop we have the complete electrical and mechanical schemes, but by now the electrical system has been completely redone.

This is the cabinet today.

Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds