Brother TC-225 / TC-229 adventure!

More
09 Feb 2017 00:17 #87623 by ihavenofish
sweet! that seems to be exactly what we need here.

thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2017 19:10 #88066 by ihavenofish
well the machines have arrived. i need to have a 220v 3 phase plug wired, and i can plug the first one in and see whats going on. initial inspection suggests its in good shape.

More
17 Feb 2017 21:48 #88132 by ihavenofish

chips! sady, not new ones. haha. yup, they are a bit filthy, but ive gone over them some more, pulling way covers off and they seem in good mechanical shape. dont feel any play, doesnt seem to be any backlash manually turning the screws on the x and y.

im pleased so far. ive determined that both machines should turn on, as is. so, that is the next step. still waiting on the plug wiring.

fun fun.
Attachments:

More
18 Feb 2017 05:23 #88157 by ihavenofish
so, to the second machine for a moment. the tc229. ive found that the servo drive use 2.5mb/s rs422 serial communication. it suggests its a proprietary 6 byte data block. i assume it transfers both encoder and command, and other data in those 6 bytes.

any thoughts on if this could be deciphered and made to talk to linuxcnc? i can find some basic info on the chip, but not much detail yet. the interface chip is called sanyo ga1022, and is both on the motherboard and in the drive.

More
19 Feb 2017 13:51 #88269 by andypugh

any thoughts on if this could be deciphered and made to talk to linuxcnc?

It _could_ be. I have used a realtime serial link between an Arduino and the UART component in a custom Mesa bitfile.

You would need to write a custom HAL component (you can use halcmompile) to assemble HAL pins into data bytes.

More
19 Feb 2017 20:29 #88294 by ihavenofish
thanks, thats a start: "it is possible". now we just need to find out how :)

is this something the mesa 7i74 8 port serial board would be used for? or is it not that straightforward.

in the meantime, i did turn that machine on last night, and the drives arent getting power (contactor not engaging), so i need to determine whats wrong there, and see if we can get this thing fired up and working under its stock control. i wish i had an electrical manual for this thing.

More
20 Feb 2017 13:39 #88338 by andypugh

is this something the mesa 7i74 8 port serial board would be used for? or is it not that straightforward.

The 7i74 would be an option, but is only a hardware interface which converts the signal voltages. My Arduino connection was wired pin-to-pin as both sides were 5V.

There is a very simple example of a Mesa UART driver in the linuxcnc distribution:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...ivers/mesa_uart.comp

(ignore the "bspi" word in there, copy/paste error)

More
21 Feb 2017 20:27 #88457 by ihavenofish
well, at least one of the drives seems damaged in the tc229, so, all this serial stuff might be for nothing, and ill just buy new/used drives/motors.

gotta see what i can obtain inexpensively. hmm.

More
22 Feb 2017 05:01 #88481 by ihavenofish
yup, all drives are dead. i got the wiring diagram from the brother distributor, and its become clear the last owner tried to change it from 380v to 220v with some transformer meddling, and failed.

so, that answers that.

on the bright side, the TC225 (analogue machine) turns on, jogs, and generally seems to work. so i think im changing my plans around a bit. i will use the tc225 as is for the moment, and convert the TC229 by buying new servo drives and whatever else it needs. so now, to find some analogue drives that will work with the sanyo motors, and not cost alot. the spindle is the hard one, 3.7kw. eep!

More
22 Feb 2017 09:55 #88489 by andypugh

now, to find some analogue drives that will work with the sanyo motors, and not cost alot.

Try eBay. This seller always seems to have a lot of servos and drives:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SANYO-DENKI-BL-SUPER-...f:g:hn4AAOxyLm9TDpDI

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds